In the aftermath of our shattered faith, for those who also wonder.....

by Frannie Banannie 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

It's been over 12 yrs since my df'ing. Yes, I forced 'em to do it for what I know now were pointless reasons....but mainly, at the time, I thought it was because the heirarchy of the WTS doesn't measure up to scriptural standards....I wasn't wrong for they are very judgMENTAL hate-mongers, manipulative and overbearing....but I've come to learn so much more....

After years of traumatic disillusionment, I've begun to wonder if there really is a God/Goddess, etc....or is this a state of mind/belief system that mankind has created to explain the inexplicable, answer the unanswerable, to put a spiritual bandaid on the tortured in mind, body and/or spirit.....and yet, tho our bodies wear out eventually, we ARE wonderfully "made"....and so many things here on earth are sympatico with our human existence and temperament.....yet....at the same time, we have adverse reactions to many things, too, whether vegetable, animal, mineral or even spiritual.....is this all only a contrivance of our imaginings, the result of our teachings among ourselves?

Things I've learned here on this site and other also excellent xdub sites have truly opened my eyes to the inconsistencies in the bible, as well......and I've come to determine that, for me, tho the scriptures are a major work of art and can be a terrific influence on ppl's lives, the fact that humans wrote the books of the bible has been the bible's downfall. I attribute the obvious flaws in the bible, not only to error in translations, but to the natural tendency of a writer (as any one who writes knows) to embellish....this would also apply to those who translated by selfishly twisting (YES, they did!) certain points according to their own viewpoints, just as the original writers obviously did. Is the bible only a huge effort by certain individuals to dominate their fellow man/woman? Is that what inspired the scriptures to be written?.... I cannot attribute many of the faulty points in the scriptures to a "perfect God."

I'm trying to keep this diatribe simple....we can reason on and expand on these musings/ponderings as the discussion flows.

Anyone?

Frannie B

• Odrade
    Odrade

Frannie, have you ever read this book?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060630353/qid=1089736040/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-0375026-0895262?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"Who Wrote the Bible?" by Richard E. Freidman

It was a really good read, IMO, though less documentation than I would have liked. It was interesting to see the idea that the old testament has value as a historical document of the development of the Israelite nation, and its permutations over centuries. The books (including the Pentatuch) appear to be adapted to separate and merge the two parts of the nation, as well as to present the evolution of the Jewish religion.

Easy read, and worth it. Certainly did NOT help me sort out what I believe regarding some kind of God/Goddess or Supreme Being, but it did help me put not only the Bible in place for me personally, but also the Bible God.

O

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I'm reading that book right now. Just the first chapter alone has raised many deep thinking questions for me. I thought comparing the KJV and NWT would shed "different" light but the differences mentioned in the book are plain as day.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Much appreciation, O, for that book recommendation...I'll get it asap.

Thanks,

FB

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Sw'pea, it sounds very profound....just the kind of "interesting read" that I'd benefit from, eh? Thanks.

FB

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Those questions do arise and you have to either face them or bury them or find some other solution. I went on something like a religious/spiritual rollercoaster after the Witnesses. I looked into all kinds of things, A reformed sort of Jehovahs-Witness practice, Bahai,Vaishnaivis, Advaita-Vedanta, Tao, Deism, atheism, gnosticism. In the end, or at least at this point, I seem to keep two current spiritual tradtions, primarilly Buddhism. Neither, in the strictest sence, is a religion. I don't know about the whole God question.

I think in a nondual sort of way, we are all nonentities, that is individuality is more of an effect then a cause, and inasmuch as that may be true then we are all a part of whatever is worth being called, for want of a better word, God. But I don't worry all that much about God anymore, one way or another, because I got living to do, children to raise, and someone within myself to realize a bit more fully. So questions about the bible, about prophets, about armageddon, even about what happens to us after we die, become more and more just academic excercizes with little real import.

Just my 2 ยข

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I hear ya, Gitas....been there, have done a LOT of that, but can't seem to let go of wanting to have answers....I seem to want this resolved in a neat little package so perhaps I can point to it (to myself) and say "this is what I truly believe and want for myself".....but I'm glad you've found a way to resolve these questionings for yourself in a manner of speaking.

However, I've also wondered whether we truly are ALL a part of a unity of spirit/supreme being, since there are different types of spirits (both good and repugnant) "out there"....

FB

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

can't define day without knowing night

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    can't define day without knowing night

Gitas, I like the way you circumnavigate the "chaff" and "pin the tail on the donkey"

FB

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

I was a straight A student my few meager years of schooling.I am a smart guy who memorized over 2,000 scripts and am a really deep thinker.

The anguish and the agony of having to renounce the life-long convictions of my heart.The surreal horror to accept that it's all a Watchtower lie.

Results: I don't have a clue as to the God thing.

What happens when I die?I will go back to what I was before I my moment of conception,I DIDN'T EXIST.

I have no fear of God to keep me in line,yet i am an honorable benevolent humanitarian because that is what I choose to be.

My greatest joy would be to find proof of a supreme benevolent deity and life after death.

Hello! I am waiting,and I guess I just wrote my own eulogy.Hey,thanks for this topic.

Undaunted Danny www.DannyHaszard.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit