Were You Treated With Respect When Counseled By The Elders?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Even disfellowshipped ones are supposed to get "shepherding calls" UNLESS of course you are an "APOSTATE".

• freedom96
    freedom96

Depends on who it was. Some were very sincere, others were assholes.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Well been DF'ed 8 weeks still no call.

When they DF'ed me I was about to be tested for Bipolar and they said they would check up and see how I went. Still waiting for the call.

• minimus
    minimus

Lehaa, they'll call you within a year when they are reminded to call on df'd ones in the OKM..

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Even disfellowshipped ones are supposed to get "shepherding calls" UNLESS of course you are an "APOSTATE".

well for the first 10 years I was still a believer and after that there is no way they would have known what I believed

• minimus
    minimus

Just goes to show---they didn't like you at all. Too bad. I like ya!!!!

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    Depends on who it was. Some were very sincere, others were assholes.

Or some were sincere assholes. LOL.

• blondie
    blondie

Problems only ensued when they had already come to a conclusion about me or a situation without talking to me and hearing me first. By some well-chosen respectful questions, I usually ended up with 2 reactions:

Elder 1 Angry that he was wrong and had lost out on an opportunity to "put me in my place"; angry with his source who had set him up for this humiliation

Elder 2 Embarrassed that I had been put in this position, apologizing proofusely; angry with Elder 1 because he had not told Elder 2 the whole story

Blondie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Yeah, for the most part, I was. I didn't *know* we weren't supposed to ask questions, so I probably was one "to watch" long before I realized it!

Within the years before I left, I had asked an Elder about the reason that we were supposed to lie for the Org when lying was detestable before Jehovah. Another one I asked was why didn't the WTS baptize in the name of the Father and Son and Holy Spirit as Jesus said to do......neither answer was believable, but I just nodded and said thanks and went on with my day.

I was only counseled once in 30 years, when my three teen-age sons were badly in need of a "trim" at the hairline (not really BAD as far as *I* was concerned---about 1/2 inch below their collars) so they got haircuts! They always fussed and hollered and gave me a terrible time every time I brought up the subject of haircuts---everyone was wearing it long back then in the late 70's.

But I was thoughtfully spoken to and didn't have the problems that a lot of you experienced!

Annie

• Piph
    Piph

Most of the elders I grew up with are total sweethearts.

The one though, that always ended up counseling me, was not. He's said things to me like, "You know you don't *do* that, Meia. You just don't *do* that!" Really? Then why did I do it? And, "Are you trying to give me a heart attack??" Oh, it's all about you, is it?

Grrrrrr.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit