Were You Treated With Respect When Counseled By The Elders?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I knew a certain few elders that really got off by "talking down" to the "flock". Many elders were pretty nice guys but a few could turn----just like that! What was your experience with "those taking the lead", the "loving shepherds"????

• desib77
    desib77

I was counceled by the elders about dating a "worldy person". They actually were pretty nice about it. They even seemed to listen to me. They said, "We can't tell you who to love."

It wasn't as bad as it could have been, I guess.

• Woman know your place
    Woman know your place

When my mum and step dad seperated for a brief period, against the advice of the elders, it was about the time I was due to go on the platform at the circuit assembly to give an experience about witnessing at school.

The elders met with me and told me I couldnt go on the platform as they thought it was 'inappropriate' and they acted as if I was the one who was seperating from a partner.....

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Depends on what the situation was.

When it was for gossiping it was ok, except they told my ex to counsel me some more at home.

When I was leaving my ex there where 4 of them 2 PO's and regular elders. The first po was an asshole. He told me about the private matters of another elder from another congregation, Then we I called him the next day, he said my ex's behavior figured, because he was always intreasted in asking questions about sex to people who were in a JC for something else.

After those visits, they never came or called back, it made leaving very easy.

I did grow to love some of them like the fathers i never had. Wish i hadnt!

• kls
    kls

I am not sure if you would call it counseled ,but if i would ask questions they would get a attitude and snap back at me,like who are you to ask a question. Basicaly ,shut up and don't ask .

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

I think it depends on the personality of the elder....some are on a real power trip....

• minimus
    minimus

kls----THAT is the elder mentality. Just listen and do what we say.

• kls
    kls

Ya Mini, it showed me how what the elders thought of themselves( i am god and you are a pee on )

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Got to be honest, the elder's I dealt with on the few counsellings I got were always very nice and polite, and they treated it more like a conversaion then some sort of berating session. I think it depends on the quality of elders you get.

• franklin J
    franklin J

any respect I was shown " on my way out" was in deference to my fathers position as an Elder. When they saw that he supported his son over their "dogma" ; they quickly turned on him.

He resigned as an Elder and "exited" with me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit