Were You Treated With Respect When Counseled By The Elders?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

LOL at Min, not really, just outspoken I suppose. The day I got the guts to take on the 4 Elders that sat across from me in that room, was the day I felt like I finally gained confidence. I was 19 years old by the way. And they asked me if I wanted one of the older women in the congregation to have a bible study with me. I laughed at them because I had been pioneering for several years and held the most bible studies of anyone in the congregation *blech*

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Never really had any problems with elders...Circuit Overseerers on the other hand. Br. Molovski (the CO) came up to me during his winter visit, this being right after i was diagnosed with Bi-polar type II. I was in the restroom, hiding out from people I didnt feel like talking to, and he came in...

"Sam, are you okay?"

"Um, well, Im just really depressed right now, and I really dont want to see anyone..."

"Well that doesnt matter, you need to put aside your feelings and think about what Jesus would do!"

"I really dont want to...its not really an issue, I am i here alot"

"Well, I'll talk to your parents about that. Depression is just another trick Satan uses on us to stop us from doing God's work, Its not real, its just in your head"

OMFG that made me so angry. That was the last time I saw him. Maybe..7 months ago? Right before I really started to fade....Never saw him again, and Ive been happier since.

If he died, I can honestly say the world would be a better place......Same for Br. Aliki....my goodness that guy can be a manipulative little ****.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    its just in your head"

I would have been like 'ya think?' . It's not like it's a chemical imbalance of your elbow. Dumb bastard.

• Special K
    Special K

NO.....

There was one final one who was rounded up to speak to me and my husband.

He is known in some Canadian J.W. circles. Clive Thomas. I believe he is in the Canadian Bethel now, but not sure. He was the only one, that I would say, treated me with respect.

Special K

• tresbella
    tresbella

i've been "counsled" (don't think i spelled it right) numerous times about my "many unnecessary questions" concerning the wt publicaitons. The fact that a meeting was needed to tell a grown human being that they were asking too many questions about a subject matter was irrelevean to me about how I was treated. I could not beleive I was even there in the first place. Did not 1 john 4:1 tell us: "Beloved ones do not believe every inspired expression but test the inspired expressions to see wheter they originate with God." (NWT)

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Never had a problem with the elders untill my son was abused then it was a different matter my husband and I were treated really badly.

Also when I was disfellowshipped one of the Elders was real nasty, would ask me questions and then but in when I tried to answer them, boy did I tell him off for that. The other two elders were really nice and understanding about the whole thing, I'm pretty annoyed at them though because the let this elder treat me like crap, they just sat ther and did nothing.

Most of the time I found them ok, just wern't as supportive as they should have been.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For the most part i think the elders I dealt with were kind hearted men. Until I ran into my own problems. Then I saw a side of them I didn't know existed.

When talking about my adultery/turned rape the quesions were prying and I sort of expected that. It was extrmemly difficult.

At the time I thought they were being caring - until they told me I was DFed. The it seemed their "love" and "care" disappeared in an instant. I was no longer one of them and was treated like an outsider.

Even when I went back 5 years later to talk to one of them the lack of love was suffocating

• minimus
    minimus

There's usually 1 "tough" elder to balance things out....He's the one that convinced the other 2 to DF and "hey, even if we're wrong, they can come back in 6 months".

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Min I think in my case they decided that there was no way they wanted me to stay in the cong or as a JW. They didn't trust that I would keep my mouth shut about the abuse my husband elder put on me and the girls. It was far safer to shut me up.

Interestingly I lived in the area for the next 15 years and never once got one of those shepherding calls. Personally I take that as more evidence of their desire to cover it all up

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    There's usually 1 "tough" elder to balance things out....He's the one that convinced the other 2 to DF and "hey, even if we're wrong, they can come back in 6 months".

Exactly, it's like there not really sure so they test you by DF'ing you. If they were wrong then you'll immediately come back to all the meetings and reinstate you, If you don't imediately get reinstated then they were right. To bad about the damage it does to you and your family hey! Helllooooo we are actual people not just pawns in a stupid game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit