Would You Go Back To A Kingdom Hall For A Funeral or Wedding?

by minimus 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Larry
    Larry

Highly unlikely on both counts.

Atilla took my words aways:

No, not even to my parents funeral. I can just imagine how it would go down. I would be there and some old JW friend would come up and ask if I was coming back, and then I would have kick his ass right there in the Kingdom Hall for trying to use my parents death as a way to witness to me. If no one tried that, then I'm sure I would get upset by the fact that the speaker only spent a few minutes on my parents life and I would have kick his ass right there in the KH. I guess I should just stay away.
    Peace - LL :)
  • undercover
    undercover

I would. It's not like your going back to worship as a JW. In the event of a funeral, I would be going to pay my respects. In the event of a wedding, if someone thought enough of me to invite me, then I would go and have as good a time as possible. In either case if someone tried to ask me where I've been or what my problem is, I would just repsond that now is not the time for this discussion. We're here to pay respects/witness a joyous occasion. Let's leave it alone.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I think I would. No big deal. It's just a building.

If you are referring to the other folks there who would try to talk me into 'coming back'... I don't think that would happen - or would bother me, if it did.

I've already been to a few weddings in the KH's - in the past - when I was still married to the JW wifey... I am/was a driftee... no one really bothered me then.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Sassy
    Sassy

Maybe for my mother if she died..

other wise I am thinking no..

• desib77
    desib77

Only for my mother is it was her funeral or my step father's.....other than them, no.

• New Castles
    New Castles

I think I would

• freedom96
    freedom96

Depends on the circumstances and who it was.

• mustang
    mustang

Over the last 30 years, those are THE ONLY REASONS THAT I HAVE BEEN IN A KH: one of each.

I have now decided that there will be NO MORE JW FUNERALS for me. In fact, when a JW relative died last year, BEFORE I VOICED MY OPINION it was suggested that we have a PRIVATE SERVICE. The comment continued that "a lot of people are doing this now"!!!!

Perhaps, there is an undercurrent of people "getting the message" that the Dub way of doing things is too heavy handed.

I appreciated that and took advantage of the offer.

Mustang

PS: I was bothered BIG TIME @ the funeral, by all the local "heavies". I felt that it was out of place and that I was "leaned on". My "still attends meetings" fleshly brother commented that we got more REAL LOVE from our "pagan" cousins.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

No.

There are other ways to remember a loved one other than subjecting yourself to the Cult's influences. We had no KH memorial for my dad who died under their control.

A KH wedding is the saddest event of all as you watch them become entangled in that 3 corded WTS rope.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I just couldn't right now--the thought of it is too much for me. I would go privately to the family and give my condolenses and send a card or flowers or whatever, but I couldn't go to the hall and listen to another WT advertisement funeral talk...

I would not even consider going for a wedding--it would be too uncomfortable for everyone and I would have to pretend that I was happy to be there. Everyone would say their phoney stand-off-ish greetings and my stomach would churn. It was upsetting to me that after 20 years of being a JW none of my JW friends came to my daughter's wedding and made a big old stink about it because she had never become a JW. Guess I am still bitter about it all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit