Invitation To Americans To Find Fault With The British..

by Englishman 145 Replies latest jw friends

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Invitation To Americans To Find Fault With The British..

The Royal Family, I don't get why you all put up with paying taxes for some pompous windbags who can wave to the public like Miss America and can't do much of anything else, except, that is give fodder for scandal.

Ohhh the queen the queen!! I don't 'get it'.

Cassi

• minimus
    minimus

They're very "touchy".

• glitter
    glitter
    The Royal Family, I don't get why you all put up with paying taxes for some pompous windbags

Yep, a lot of us Brits don't get it either!

jwbot - got an opening for a spare sister, you'd have to not be scared of pet rats though!

• Englishman
    Englishman
    The Royal Family, I don't get why you all put up with paying taxes for some pompous windbags who can wave to the public like Miss America and can't do much of anything else, except, that is give fodder for scandal.

*sigh*

Cassi, we're a monarchy! A monarch has no political agenda, doesn't worry about being voted in or out, and has the power of veto to keep the government from becoming too powerful.

Our monarchy last year cost us £38m, that's about 50p per person which is less than 1 dollar per person per year.

How does that compare to the cost of Airforce one alone?

Maybe we should out the Queen and have a Blairforce one!

Englishman.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    A monarch has no political agenda, doesn't worry about being voted in or out, and has the power of veto to keep the government from becoming too powerful.

I like that idea.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

*sigh*

Cassi, we're a monarchy! A monarch has no political agenda, doesn't worry about being voted in or out, and has the power of veto to keep the government from becoming too powerful.

Our monarchy last year cost us £38m, that's about 50p per person which is less than 1 dollar per person per year.

How does that compare to the cost of Airforce one alone?

Maybe we should out the Queen and have a Blairforce one!

Englishman.

Woah sorry there Mike, you asked about what I thought was a fault. I did not mean to hit a sore spot. And I did not realize that this was going to turn into American V Brits. If I had thought that then I would have never said a damn thing. About a 100 million a year to support a family of people who just look good seems like a fault to me. I'm not speaking about our own stupid habits but you asked of your own. What is it that they are supposed to accomplish for the British people? Cassi

• glitter
    glitter

I don't think Englishman is being touchy, it's just that that *is* the purpose of the Monarchy nowadays - tradition plays a huge part in it too.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Woah sorry there Mike, you asked about what I thought was a fault. I did not mean to hit a sore spot. And I did not realize that this was going to turn into American V Brits. If I had thought that then I would have never said a damn thing. About a 100 million a year to support a family of people who just look good seems like a fault to me. I'm not speaking about our own stupid habits but you asked of your own. What is it that they are supposed to accomplish for the British people?

No, no, no offence taken at all.

Our monarchs have been an essential part of our identity for centuries now. We'd survive if the monarch went, I'm sure, but we'd feel bereft of someting that has been part of our lives for so long. Our whole political system revolves around a monarchy and an elected government. The blend is fairly unique, and on the whole it tends to work quite well.

Englishman.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    No, no, no offence taken at all.

Good, I hate this one dimensial reading as opposed to speaking to you on the phone.

Cassi

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Blondie, how did you get a picture of my teeth?

Well this is a tough one for me as I am a huge Brit fan. I don't understand the fascination with soccer. Too bad they didn't give real football a chance.

I love the beer, love the weather even more and the people are wonderful. But if I had a criticism it would be British (and French) bungling of how to deal with a defeated Germany after World War I. Restraint and a more far sighted vision could have saved tens of millions of lives 20 years later. On a more modern note, I thought Tony Blair would be more interested in bringing some positive changes to Britain rather than just spin control. What exactly does he stand for?

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit