Would You Have Ever Let Your Child Die & Refuse A Blood Transfusion?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I've seen "weak" JWs that rarely go to meetings "prove faithful" and not accept a transfusion and then be looked upon as "exemplary ones".

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was torn.

When my second daughter was born prematurely she they came back with one test that said she may have to be transferred to the children's hospital and given blood. I was petrified. The doctors knew we were JWs and that we would not accept blood. The test had been done on a Sat morning so the doctors suggested they redo the test to see how accurate it was. During those couple of hours I think if I had been alone I would have allowed the blood and lived with the guilt - perhaps even left the JWs over it.

But I was married and didn't have the last decision. I knew whatever I said I was going to be over ruled by my husband who had called the elders in. There is no way he would have allowed the blood.

In the end the second test showed the problem was not as bad as the first test indicated so the idea of a transfusion was dropped

But that was something I never wanted to go through again.

My heart goes out to those who have lost a child due to the blood policy. I cannot think of any greater torment for a parent

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Fortunately for me, my parents could not be reached when I needed red cells. My loving doctors went to court and obtained an order to give me the blood that saved my life; murderous WTS rules not withstanding.

Sam (Of the grateful to be alive class)

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    My heart goes out to those who have lost a child due to the blood policy. I cannot think of any greater torment for a parent

Mine doesn't. They're murderers, and they deserve to live with the fact that their decision took the life of someone who hadn't even had a chance, yet. The buck stopped with them.

• wednesday
    wednesday

yesi would have and it scares me and really shows me i was truly in a cult and brainwashed. I told my DIL this and she was horrifed that anyone would ever have done that. Seeing a normal persons reaction to letting your child die for a religious belief really impressed on my mind how horrible a belief that is. Those bast*rds would have had me kill my child for a God.

• Fleur
    Fleur

NO!

I would have refused one for myself, definitely. but never could i watch my child die if they could help her.

my family likes to say that blood never really saved anyone; until a couple years ago when my MIL had massive internal bleeding and had to have her volume replaced 4 times rapidly. she would definitely be gone now if not for the transfusion.

here's a question for you all: my minor daughter is supposed to go cross country for a trip with her dad later in the year. what the hell do i send with her in the way of paperwork that if there was any question, they would give her the transfusion? i know he'd say no to one for her.

any ideas as far as the proper paperwork to send along? i'm already terrified of thinking of her being that far away from me for a week and it's a ways off yet. :(

fleur

• alamb
    alamb

I thought about it alot and decided then that I would accept the transfusion and answer to Jehovah to save my child. How sick is that? I kind of figured it was giving my life to save my child's, if it came down to it.

• alamb
    alamb

fleur:

I drew up a document on Randy's site under legal issues on the bottom she could carry or sneak with her. Just make sure it is notarized with your signature and has all your contact information. Maybe include legal documents showing legal custody and your rights in case that's a question?

• alamb
    alamb

Date:___________________________________________________________

Name of Minor:___________________________________________________

Name(s) of Legal Custodian:_________________________________________

I am a resident of the State of ____________, over the age of 18, and fully competent to make this statement.
    I am a parent of the minor child, ___________________________. This minor is a resident of the state of _________.
    It is my desire, in signing this document and making it available to you and your institution, to let it be known that I do not agree with and will not consent to the refusal of a blood transfusion or any similar medical treatment when it is necessary for the health of my child. The health and well being of my child are of utmost importance to me and I respect the judgment of the medical community in regard to treatments.

I am aware that this child may be in possession of a medical identity card distributed by Jehovah?s Witnesses. I am aware also, that the child?s mother/father may be one of Jehovah?s Witnesses and conscientiously object to medical treatment involving blood and/or blood products for medical use involving this child due to religious reasons. My child is not a baptized member of Jehovah?s Witnesses and cannot fully understand the implications of taking a stand regarding a life threatening situation based on Biblical reasoning endorsed by another person. My child is also a minor and not legally capable or bound to a medical decision made on his own behalf.

I am not one of Jehovah?s Witnesses and do not endorse this stand. As a parent to this child, I will be willing to sign waivers regarding the overriding of this document, if needed. I will also be willing to state this before a judge, if the matter is remanded to a court regarding the rights of this child.
    I wish to be contacted in the event of a medical emergency involving this child. This may be objected to by the child?s mother/father but I am a legally recognized parent to this child and this is the lawful course. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

I can be reached at:
    Address: _________________________________________________
    Phone:___________________(home) _____________________(work) _______________(cellular)
    I have filed a copy of this with my attorney and a copy has been given to the child?s mother/father.
    I thank you, in advance, for your consideration in this matter.
    Respectfully yours,

Your Name

DATED this ________ day of _________, 2004.

SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN to before me this _____ day of ___________, 2004.

Notary Seal

• minimus
    minimus

Gita, if you ever were a true believer, you know that shouldn't be so harsh. If you doubted that it was the "truth", then--good for you. You were smarter than a lot of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit