Bulger killers release - just?

by digderidoo 90 Replies latest jw friends

• trevor
    trevor

Abaddon,
    I never said that you telling people to fuck off offended me. I pointed out that such an attitude is inconsistent with the tolerant attitude you pretend to have.

As for not joining in the debate, I did offer some comments towards the debate on page four, which you attempted to tear to shreds. The attitude that you demonstrated led me to conclude that you are not worth seriously debating with. You don’t want a debate. You have taken a stance opposite to most peoples in order to give yourself the opportunity to fight with them.

You display a vengeful dislike for people while pretending to be so tolerant. You are not for real. Only you take yourself seriously.

I said'
    Your whole demeanour shows a dislike for people. I do not for one moment believe that you are as compassionate and tolerant as you make out. You come across as a short-tempered, foul mouthed, self opinionated, nutter.'

Your reply proves me right. You cannot even tolerate a different point of view without ranting like a madman. How on earth would you REALLY react if two killers seriously touched your life?

You would act the way you do on this board. Just reading through your posts I am left feeling relieved that YOU don't live next door to me.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline
    No sweetie, you don't have to justify your opinion, which is just as well, all things considered, but you do have a right to your opinion.

Like those boys, under law, have a right to be released.

Right to be released, but not EARLY. I am of the opinion that they should serve the FULL SENTENCE. I don't care WHAT hoops the British have to jump through to keep them incarcerated. Their sentence should be served, Sweetie.

Okay, fine, blatently misrepresent what I said about the mother.

Yep, Abaddon, I misquoted you. You said she wasn't learning to "live with it". Well, pardon HER, Mr Judgemental, why don't you walk a mile in her shoes before presuming to use your psychobabble to diagnose her, huh? As I said before, you're a man of many words who doesn't really say much. So before you use that CrackerJack Box diploma to diagnose, go get your doctorate in psychology, k?

You refuse to justify your opinion. This implies you consider it incontravertably right.

I owe you NO justification for my opinions, Abaddon, and neither does anyone else. If you want to spew just to hear your head rattle all day long, feel free. No one asked or demanded that you do so. I gave my opinion, and as far as I'm concerned, opinions need no justification. They stand on their own. You could have given yours without giving the reasons, and I wouldn't have spewed that you owe me an explanation of why you feel the way you do. I presume you have your reasons, and I, for one, don't feel the need to know them. You, on the other hand, feel the need to pose and pontificate and spew all your prose, so you feel justified in voicing your opinion. If you're so insecure, feel free. I just don't feel the need to do the same.

You might not have to justify yourself, but it might stop you looking like a fool if you did, as without justification you seem easily lead by the press, and with little insight into the case.

I care not that you think I'm a fool, Abaddon. I'm certain there are just as many who feel that YOU are one also.

You don't know me and your baseless judgements of me are meaningless

Ditto.

I actually admitted that, if it happened to my kith or kin, I would want my vengence.

That was my point, in telling you that if you think they should be let out, let 'em move in next door and do to your family what they did to Jamie Bulger. And you KNEW that was my point, you just chose to turn it into something else for your own advantage and then question my grip on reality! Get a grip yourself, Abaddon. And while you're at it, you might try an anger management course or two.

If it can be (and the evidence presented to the parole board would seem to be conclusive), and the tragedy was not fully their fault any way, then I do not think that justice could be served by locking them up.

There are plenty of cases where parole boards have screwed up and released prisoners who went on to commit other murders. You CLAIMED in a previous post that this is not so. Balderdash. And here you go, with that bleeding heart liberal idea that criminals are not fully at fault for what they do. BUNK.

Again I point out no-one seems bothered by Bulgers' mother psychosis. She needs help, quick, as if you have read any of her statements, the poor woman's mind has been affected. A mentally disturbed woman's sense of justice is no basis for a legal system.

And when did you suddenly become Dr. Abaddon? Is this your learned diagnosis based on your psychology diploma, also based on statements in those same "rags" you said the rest of us were getting our "erroneous, sensationalized" information from? Hypocrite.

Face it, Abaddon, we do not and will not agree on this subject, and no amount of your bullying tactics will change my mind. And that is my right. I did not call you a fool, and resort to name calling. I simply stated that I have a right to my opinion without justifying it to YOU. And I stand by that.

RCat

Edited for typos...

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

This is a quote from Tina in another thread, but I thought it said alot of how I feel about things Abaddon has said in this thread:

[QUOTE] This is not a question of fuck em all and who cares.{RCat's thoughts: Or, fuck off if you don't agree with me}To think like that is almost anti-social.
    This is about communicating and realistic preferences.
    We each have our own unique way of looking at the world. And many times it isn't in harmony with the status quo.
    It's about it being perfectly OK to feel,believe and exist differently.
    And having the courage to live and think differntly.
    How would your life be if you tried to live it by others standards and approval? Not a nice thought there. You will give up a lot of personal autonomy by people pleasing and seeking their approval.

When I see opinions stated here that essentially say you SHOULD think my way,you SHOULD behave the way I want you too, you SHOULD allow me to continually say that your thoughts and communicating SHOULD be by standards that I say are 'right'....well,I have the right to say that is unrealistic and controlling.

It's also NOT about being condescended/patronized to(i.e. the snide 'smooches' tj puts in his post){RCat's comments: "Sweetie" or fool, or idiot, being said} as a way of dismissing and minimizing my thoughts.
    Differences can be resolved by free open discussion . Going thru the board with these 'shoulds' essentially ignores and denies the uniquesness and diversity of this complex nature we call 'human'.
    When we stop expending so much energy on being 'so right'......take a step back and look objectively and rationally at situations.
    We will begin to understand and stop attempting to enforce our 'shoulds' on others.

{RCat's addition: Abaddon, I didn't say that you or anyone else had to agree with me. Likewise, I don't have to agree with you. So stop the bullying tactics. }

RCat

• Jang
    Jang

Last night I watched a program that compared how Britain handled these boys and how Norway handled two boys who killed a little girl abotu the same time.

In Norway, the boys were reintergrated back into the community immediately with a permanant mentor to guide them and be there for them to help them understand the enormity of what they did and get beyond it and become a better citizen.

Eight years later these boys are functioning well, have great remorse over what they did which they came to themselves as they matured. Norway has always handled children like this and believe that this approach is better in the long term because by the time the children are 18 they are capapble of funcitoning in the real world. Their experience is that the children dealt with this way never return to their old ways.

It was interesting listening to the mother of the little girl who agreed with how they boys were handled and said that she knows the time will come when she will be able to forgive them for what they did.

Contrasted with the British method of incarcerating the boys with no counselling or help for the nine months before their trial, being kept totally isolated from every one, etc. ........

Another difference between these two cases was that the British boys could not read or write properly, had been raised in dysfunctional homes full of domestic abuse etc while the norwegian boys had been raised in good homes and were scholastically normal .....

Just a few thoughts ........

JanG
    CAIC Website: http://caic.org.au/zjws.htm
    Personal Webpage: http://uq.net.au/~zzjgroen/

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

RF; I am sorry if my attitude gets you. I assure you I don't take myself seriously, but when I say anyone not sharing my thoughts on x or y can 'fuck off' I am serious.

Are there not some points of view you find repugnant? Where you find having to debate the obvious is almost brain numbingly nauseating?

Racists, homophobes, paedophiles, rapists, bigots; their intolerance or abuse of others' rights invites similar intolerance. Even if doing that has its contradictions, it is better than smiling as they try to justify their crap.

Then you have those who seem blinded by culture or upbringing to accept certain things as just and right. The gun control debate and the death penalty in the US are good examples.

This second catagory is where good good people (I have American friends IRL and online and have travelled around America a bit) can hold opinions that are perhaps held by only a minority of people in Europe, but are majority opinons in the USA.

Killing killers is right, even if innocent people get killed by mistake as any legal system is imperfect. Having loads of guns does not result in the high death rate from gun shot injuries you can see in the USA.

Now, I put the Bulger case in the above catagory. Good good people can have stupid, stupid beliefs. We ALL know this 8-)

I don't think you're bad thinking what you think about the Bulger case. I just think your opinion sucks so much it could take the chrome off a fender.

Off course, you don't have to justify it, but I don't have to not think it sucks.

Do you expect me to be silent? I don't expect that of you. You hold that opinion; sorry this makes you the subject of critiscm, but we can flip it 180 and I'll take the flak for my beliefs, gladly, and defend them. You can take the Fifth. Don't expect me to be silent because you choose to do that.

Also, you seem to take invective rather seriously.

Your profile lists you as an Australian, which surprises me as Australians are massive arguers and just as offensive and strident as the British can be; maybe I've met the 'wrong sort' of Australian! Maybe (as many people don't bother putting in their country or put one in for a laugh) you're not an Ozzy. If you are, up the Lions!! 8-)

In contrast to the image populary held by the many in the world of the English as calm and phlegmatic, the English are actually quite prone to spirited exchanges of opinion, where ad hominum is part of the wharp and weft of the arguement. I was fortunate in that, even though I was raised a JW, spirited and heated discussion were natural over the dinner table. It may have sounded like WWIII, but we were still all friends when we left the table, even if we'd been calling each other 'silly' and characterising points of view in rather low terms.

Acting as a student guide for American students taking their Junior Year Abroad, I know Americans argue in a different way to the English, and are more easily insulted. An English person will be on the counter attack, keeping to the subject in hand, when an American is expressing how deeply affected they are by what you just said.

And I'm the one who's meant to take himself seriously 8-)

Yes, of course, I could adjust my 'style' to one less abrasive to Americans, but that would just be drowning in yet another wave of cultural imperialism from the other side of the Atlantic. I'll draw the line at Levi's, Microsoft, and the occasional Burger King (no Wendy's heer), and of course TV and films, and a few American authors I love. But I'll argue my way, and spell colour as god intended, and not save on letters when I spell through.

Again, apologies if I have offended you, I hope this explains my argumentative style is a product of my background (as is, to some extent, yours). If you think I was 'angry' when I wrote those posts, you really have no idea!! I was having a spirited arguement. They are two seperate things.

As for the boy's mother, she firmly believes the two boys will track her down to Merseyside and try to kill her other child. This has been reported in both tabloid and broadsheet newspapers (us lucky Brits have 'tabloids' that are more-or-less daily equivalents of the National Enquirer, for all our cultural snobbery), as well as on the televison media. I don't know what you know about psychology or the normal course of the grieveing process, and I did state that I would not assume to say she could 'get over it'. However, from what evidence threr is, she needs help and has been sorely let down by the system.

As for the boys being released EARLY, well, they haven't.

When they were sentenced, they were sentenced to imprisonment 'at her Magesty's pleasure'. This basically was a legal way of saying, 'they're kids, we'll decide on their sentence when we know more about their propencity to re-offend', or 'throw away the key', depending what you think. Later on a tariff of either 16 or 25 years was applied by a politician, the then Home Secretary. This was taken to the European Court of Human Rights and declared void. Sentences without end are a breach of human rights as are political influence being used to control the judicary.

They have no more been let out early than a US prisoner would be released early if the US Supreme Court had decreed that a politician had no right to involve itself in the judicary (which being American is a concept you will be familiar with) and declared the sentence passed as un-Constitutional.

trevor; The point I make to RF above about why I say 'If you think this, fuck off' is one I hope you undersatnd. I don't see any lack of tolerance in allowing someone to express and hold an opinion AND telling them to 'fuck off', if their opinion so offends you. You want me to be a mealy-mouthed hypocrite and smile and go, 'oh, if you think so'? Bollocks to that.

As to why I take this stance, well, anyone can tell I like a good argument. Spank me. But I believe in what I am argueing.

You seem to be a little new to an online environment, or a little sheltered, if you've never met anyone who argues like the blue blazes, but is generally easy going and without exception non-violent (although I do believe in self defence).

Strength of opinion does not mean someone is a madman or likely to be a bad neighbour.

I might object to what you say, but I would defend your right to say it (as the same time as telling you it's fucking stupid).

Sorry if you can't deal with two contrasting trains of thought at the same time!!

You ask (again, or was it RF who asked the first time) "How on earth would you REALLY react if two killers seriously touched your life?"

I've already said I would want my vengence, so don't pose this question as though you're being clever. I hope if two kids from dreadful environments killed a child of mine I could avoid killing them, but at first, I almost certainly would want to because of the circumstances I was in. If they were adults, well, I think I'd want to kill them longer.

But although I'd want to kill them, I don't think I would, because, as you seem to fail to realise, there is a world of difference between saying and doing.

Again, you seem to fail to grasp that one can believe one would want personal vengence AND believe that is no way to run a civilised society.

I also find your attempt to characterise me as a potentially violent nutter ludicrous. I suppose I'm up there with all the violent nutters in pro-choice/anti-death penalty/prison reformer movements who, must be nutters by your logic as they are as strident in defending their view point as me.

Doh! That would be why the police are afraid of vigilanties hunting the boys down, and aren't afraid of the 'menacing' mobs of prison reform campaigners who have vowed to shout very loudly and wave banners around if anyone does those boys harm. Try harder.

• trevor
    trevor

Abaddon,

Thanks for your reply. I have enjoyed locking horns with you you are a game competitior.

By the way I live in the 'smug south' of England and read the papers too. For the record I have no real interest in how the Bulger case boys are treated. We pay trained people to deal with these things. They do their job and I do mine. I don't know the boys and they don't intrude on my sheltered life. Pretty selfish hu!

Perhaps I just enjoy a good argument too.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

trevor; I agree that the professionasl normally get it right, and in a case like this when the gutter press were going to have a field day selling copies, you can bet they really thought long and hard before letting them go.

I am more concerned about the principles than the individual case, which might be seen as dismissive of the horrible nature of the case, but it isn't, as we're talking about justice, not vengence.

And yes, I think you enjoy a good arguement just as much as me! I'm off to France for a few weeks though, so happy hunting!

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Abaddon,

I do accept that nurture has a big part to play in the development of a child. I do not accept the Christian viewpoint of evil either. However, from your comments you seem to feel that because of their upbringing, they had no choice....correct me if i'm wrong. What you haven't commented on is that we all have free will. Yes i accept that we make choices within the confines of our upbringing...but at the end of the day we still have to make choices that we should be held responsible for.

The problem with coming to the conclusion that we would all do the same if we were brought up the same, is that you are turning us all into something like robots. When certain buttons are pressed in our life....we will give a certain reaction, seems to be what you are saying. Life is not like that, we all have a free will to make choices...limited choices maybe, but still choices.

Psychology in my opinion is different to the other sciences. Many psychologists view it as a science...but for me to accept that means that we are nothing more than automatons.

Thank you for correcting me when i said, 'anyone who takes another life should be locked up for life'. You are correct in that i meant anyone who commits something comparable to Americans 1st degree murder, should be locked away.

Many of us would have watched our child bleed to death when we were JW's.

To illustrate my point, within the confines of the way we grew up, we still have choices, i'd like to tell you about when my second son was born.
    Common problem amongst some pregnant women...my x-wife's blood was rheasus negative(think i've spelt it right), babies was positive. Some of my x's blood had mixed with our child's when he was born...it was touch and go whether he needed a blood transfusion. I was still in the 'truth'...albeit weak, and the rest of her and my family were. They asked us if we would agree to a transfusion...my wife said no...although she knew that the doctors would overide the decision anyway, she really took an easy route. I felt though that it should be me taking responsibility for my sons life and not sherking that responsibility....so i said that it would be okay (the decision was heart rendering...going against all the beliefs that i was brought up with). The nurses were understanding and said that they wouldn't put me through that and would get the doctors signature anyway. I felt though that finally i had made a decision and somehow felt a relief in pressure of those beliefs. In the end my son didn't need one anyway and fully recovered.
    My point is, is that just because we grew a certain way doesn't mean that we do not have the responsibility of making choices. Free will does play a major part in the decisions we make and although nurture also plays a major role....it is not the be all and end all of life.
  • waiting
    waiting

About 3 months ago on some channel which shows "psycho-babble" and real life (not police) shows, there was one about a violent rapist who had terrorized his own family for decades. Either in Europe or Northern America (not a southern usa accent anyway). He was caught, tried, and imprisoned for a long time. He had several years remaining on his sentence, and came up for parole ( I think). Working with a whole team of psychiatrists at a mental hospital & police - they released him under 24 hour surveillance/guard to help him readjust to society before just *releasing* him cold turkey.

The doctors reasoning? This lousy, raping, sadist, violent, molester had survived his jail sentence and was going to be released into society - one damn way or another. What they were trying to do was to help him put some boundries into place before he was released. Help him re-intergrate into society so that he might not turn in anger and frustration to another woman/child. Remember - he absolutely was going to be released.

Didn't work. The neighborhood, where he shared an apartment with a policeman, found out. They camped on his doorstep, put posters up, marched in front of his apartment, followed him speaking to every stranger about him - for months. Btw, he was under police order to speak no words to any child - period.

The rapist/molester had the freedom to stay out in normal society with police watch (under psychiatric constant care), trying to work, or go back to prison until his sentence was finished in a couple of years. He chose to go back to prison where he felt more accepted - his anger and frustration had deepened to the point that he chose not to be free. The neighborhood was quiet and content again. The rapist was gone.

The psychiatrist interviewed was so quietly down about the whole situation. Why? That rapist would be released into general society within a couple of years - but instead of getting him ready, with police and professional help to try adjust his actions and thinking, he would now be released as a very - very - angry and violent rapist with a pent-up anger and frustration against the society who wouldn't even let him exist along side of them.

And now - this same man will exist along side of some other neighborhood - they just won't know it - and he'll really be pissed off with no 24 hour police surveillance.

Personally, if I had to choose between the two - which some of us do, but we just don't know it - I would prefer to know my enemy and keep him as unpissed as possible. I don't have the freedom to kill people, no matter what I might think of them.

Keep your friends close to your heart. Keep your enemies closer. Al Capone

waiting

ps -sorry for the length, but didn't want to start another thread.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Good point, Waiting, considering he was going to be released anyway.

I do have some more information on the Jamie Bulger case which I would like to post about, but before I do, I want to ask Abaddon a question: Where did you get your information about this case from? Were you quoting from the "media" which you showed such disgust of? Just what information sources did you use?

RCat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit