Pit Bull dogs

by Schizm 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Geez, this kinda topic can get as heated as politicos...lol

Here's my 3 cents:

It is all about the dog, they were bred to be aggressive AND with the strongest jaws to inflict the most damage possible.

It is all about the owners, too. You got the good owners who train or get the terriers trained properly, thus better behaved dogs, maybe. Then ya' got the asswholes, that train 'em to eat cats AND be aggressive towards people, too aka, guarding.

Then ya' got the dog my family had...Amer. Stradfordshire, great family dog. We had 3 young kids and our house was Kid Central Station for the neighbors, too. From birth I trained this dog well. One of the things I learned, was how to train away some especially dangerous traits.

I did/do specific things that helped. When a puppy is eating...take the food away, only when he stops bad behavior does he get it back, everyone in our family would take turns doing this...all during their growing and later. They would get mad, like most dogs, but, they were taught unless they let you and others be "Dominent" they would not get the food back. This same kind of passive training works in other areas where dogs have trigger points and may typically attack.

Another thing you can do is hold your puppy down, don't hurt him, make him be still. He will wiggle and whine, then seeming give in. He's not ready yet...after he stays still a few minutes he'll get his 2nd wind, hang on -- now he's gonna get mad, maybe try to bite, too. Lay on him carefully until he finally submits, he'll let out his air and relax...you've won. Pet up a storm of "Good-boys"

Some may not like this, but it's easier to deal with young dogs than grown big ones. They need these passive reinforcements as reminders from time to time.

Back to my AS Terrier., despite everything she attacked ...for no apparant reason a young Rough Collie we also had had for a long time. She had her by the throat and would not let go...it was like she was in a trance...I ended up hitting my pet with brooms, boards anything I could find, nothing worked. A neighbor went for a gun...I tried water hoses, soaking her w/cold water. I felt mean and cruel the way I was beating that dog, that my 2 year old daughter could take food away from ...without a grumble.. I hit her with a 2 x 4 -- NOTHING. I finally got a smooth dull iron rod and got it wedged into her jaws...and twisted out a jaw tooth !

She let go...I thought she was going after me or others now...or back to finish off our expensive "Lassie" type dog. NOPE, she felt sorry for her victim lying on the ground bleeding and panting, she started licking and cleaning her up. We were have a party, so all the kids and people evacuated, thinking "Mad Dog." NOPE, I even petted her later, checked for wounds from me, there were none, except the tooth.

Our young Collie, who was much larger than our sweet Strad, had multiple deep bites all over, most of the hair was gone around the neck. It took a while , but she survived.

The moral of the story is: Figure it out yourself.

Keep in mind, the entire time I was trying to stop this dog attack, I saw my own daughter neck flopping around in those looked jaws, or a neighbors kid. Yes, it's true Pit Bulls and kin don't bite the most people by a long shot, but, because people have bred these dogs this way, they will cause much more serious damage, because they won't stop. I've been bit by 3 dogs... German Shepherd, Doberman and Dobie/Shepherd mix. THEY BITE AND RUN...that's livable.

Recently, a Amer.Pit Bull, don't know his or his owners history, he broke out and started jumping fences -- he killed about 25 - 30 dogs in their own yards, a few cats, too, he chomped on 2 - 3 people (multiple bites) trying to save their dogs.

The dog dog goes home and bites the owners 3 y/o kid about 50 - 60 times, he has the boys head and jaw in his jaws. The man beats his dog like I did mine, NOTHING, he get a .22 cal. rifle and carefully shoots the dogs head several times, the bullets bounce off the skull. Finally, a shot thru the eye, enters the brain and kills the dog. The boy survives, charges are filed.

The family is interviewed, "Well, ar ole' dawg, never dun nuthin' lak thet ba'fore...He wuz a good dawg, now th' Sherriffs sayin' thar gonna kill ole' Red...daid." Everytime it happens -- that's what they say.

This happened in Texas within the last year, I do not have the copy, it was on TV, too. I may not be factually accurate on every little detail, but, it did happen.

I had my dog put down, I loved her, she was the family favorite, never hinted of trouble. IMHO, her genetics were triggered one day, she had an ability inbred and she simply acted on it. She was trained NOT to be aggressive to people or our other pet animals.

But...I will never again take a chance with certain breeds, it's a gamble. If you lose (rare) you lose BIG.

• Bulldog
    Bulldog

Hey owning ANY big dog is a gamble, don't fool yourself. Does it really matter if the dog chewing on your kids head is a pitbull or a shepherd?

Not all shepherds or other breeds bite and run. A Great Pyrenees dog mauled a child here, and removed her scalp. Normally a great family dog, but the kid did something the dog understood as an attack, and responded. No one could stop the dog til the child was scalped.

My point is all dogs are potential biters. Some dogs are more dog aggressive, but this is NOT limited to pitbulls, pretty much all terriers fall into this category.

To me it makes more sense to train your dog, no matter what the breed, to not bite, esp children, and to supervise that dog at all times.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Pit bulls are like guns. It all depends on the owner.

I have seen good pit bulls (an ex-g/f used to breed them) and bad ones. Just like there are good _____________ (fill in the blank of breed), and bad ones. Show me a bad dog and I'll show you that their human owner is a piece of crap.

LABD, of the dog lover class

• Schizm
    Schizm

I just finished reading the following recent report. Especially note the part I've highlighted in blue font (it flat gives me the shivers).--Schizm.

Web-posted Friday, July 2, 2004
    Pit bull attack injures two boys

The Amarillo Globe-News

Two boys were taken to Northwest Texas Hospital late Thursday after being attacked by a pit bull in Eastridge.

The attack occurred about 9:45 p.m. near Northeast 16th Avenue and Gardenia Street, according to police reports.

The boys, one 14 and one about 10, were riding their bikes at the park by Eastridge Elementary School, said Sgt. James Hart of the Amarillo Police Department.

The dog, which allegedly got loose from a yard in the 1300 block of Evergreen, attacked the boys, biting them primarily on their legs, Hart said.

The pit bull would not let go of one of the victims until a witness intervened and struck the dog with a pipe, he said.

Hart said the boys' injuries did not appear to him to be life-threatening. Amarillo Animal Control impounded the dog and will investigate the incident further, Hart said.

The Animal Control employee who picked up the dog refused comment at the scene, and other officials could not be reached for comment late Thursday.

• Schizm
    Schizm

Here's an update on the above report.--Schizm.

Web-posted Saturday, July 3, 2004 Pit bull in quarantine after dog-bite incident

The Amarillo Globe-News

A pit bull that bit two boys Thursday night had not been vaccinated by its owners, so Animal Control officers will quarantine it for 10 days.

Shannon Barlow, assistant director of Amarillo Animal Control, said the dog's owner will have the option to pick the animal up after 10 days at the animal shelter or have it destroyed.

No regulation requires the dog be put down even though it attacked two boys in northeast Amarillo.

The attack occurred just before 10 p.m. Thursday at Northeast 16th Avenue and Gardenia Street. Two boys, ages 14 and 10, were riding their bicycles near Eastridge Elementary School when the dog attacked, according to police.

Barlow said it is not clear what may have caused the dog to attack.

"According to witnesses, the dog just charged them," Barlow said. "There was nothing done to anger the dog that anybody saw. But the dog has not shown any aggression here. He seems very friendly, so it's hard to tell what really happened."

The dog bites were mostly limited to the boys' legs. Barlow declined to identify the boys and said she did not know their condition Friday. http://www.amarillo.com/stories/070304/new_pitbull.shtml

Serving Time: A pit bull that bit two boys Thursday night will remain in quarantine for 10 days at the animal shelter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit