Pit Bull dogs

by Schizm 74 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

well Dantheman,

I guess I am not going to convince you that they can be good dogs, if given the right kind of guidence , love,and obedience ( like any kind of dog)..... I am certainly not going to be convinced that they are "thug dogs" either.So I guess you will classify me in the "sychotic apologists" group. You know something else, Chevy ( my parents pit bull) has gone to many shows in the past, in the presences of many other dogs, children and adults, and has never even batted a eye lash at anyone...He also walks in a park where there is no leashs needed , without attacking someone walking their poodle and 3 children under the age of 8....btw, no, I don't use our dog for a search and rescue, we have him to be loved and be respected in our family.

Also these pit bulls that have maimed children to death, what about the nice sweet Dalmation?? ( the one that ripped my sons ear almost right off his head?)

~Morty, of the never debates class~

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I've had bad experences with that evil/crazy breed of dogs and really dislike them. Quite frankly, I consider shady the people that love/own/want to own them.

What's there to love about them? Violent, can go nuts even on the owner at any given time, and for crying out loud, they're even ugly!

DY

• morty
    morty

Schizm,

They are both males...Both raised together,diffrent homes, but together all the time.....Also, one is fixed and one is not.....

• Schizm
    Schizm

Schizm,

They are both males...Both raised together,diffrent homes, but together all the time.....Also, one is fixed and one is not.....

Hi Morty,

I had inquired because of what I had read on another site, as follows:

If you have a Pitbull and want to get another, you should get one of the opposite sex because Pitbulls are more aggressive toward the same sex. I recommend that if you have a Pitbull, you make sure that it’s your only pet. It’s not wise to bring a Pitbull into a house that already has other dogs or cats. If you do already have another dog, whether it’s a Pitbull or another breed, you should make sure your Pitbulls is of the opposite sex of the dog you already have. http://www.pitbullguide.com/article.htm

I can see how that the 2 males you're talking about are capable of getting along so well together. Not only were they raised together but one of them has been "fixed" (ouch!).

Thanks to you and everyone who have added their insights to this topic.

Here's something that my son found for me on the Internet:

Dangerous Dog Statute

The Meaning of a "Dangerous Dog"

A "dangerous dog" is:

• a dog that makes an unprovoked attack on a person that causes bodily injury and the attack occurs outside of the dog's enclosure; or
    • a dog that commits unprovoked acts outside of its enclosure that cause a person to reasonably believe the dog will attack and cause bodily injury.
    Legal Responsibilities of Owners of Dangerous Dogs
    • Dangerous dogs must be kept in a secure enclosure. The secure enclosure must be a fenced area or a structure that is locked, capable of preventing the entry of the general public, including children, capable of preventing the dog from escaping, and clearly marked as containing a dangerous dog. When the dog is not in the enclosure, it must be restrained at all times on a leash or in the immediate control of a person.
    • A dangerous dog owner must register the dog with the local animal control authority.
    • A dangerous dog owner must maintain liability insurance coverage of at least $100,000 to cover damages for bodily injuries caused by the dog. http://www.edgarsnyder.com/dogbite_law/dog_law_states/texas.html

Of course my neighbor does have his dog inside a fenced back yard. However, the gate doesn't have a padlock on it so as to prevent a child from getting in. It has a hinged sort of latch (the usual U-shaped type that are so common). Judging the way the dog acts while I'm in the alley, a person would conclude that he's a "dangerous dog". We have observed members of that family sitting out on their front porch, with their dog laying on the porch. So, there are times when the dog isn't being kept restrained to the fenced yard.

Only yesterday the woman of the house took the dog across the street to the park without a leash. I do notice, however, that each time she does this there are no children in the park at the time. Up until the time THESE neighbors moved in my wife was into the habit of taking OUR dog (a male) over to this park for his and her pleasure, but now my wife is afraid that the pit bull might someday be allowed out on their front porch, see our dog and attack it. I really wonder if the owners of the pit bull would be able to restrain their dog with mere commands if it were to see our dog in the park across the street and wanted to attack. I'm sure the pit bull would make mush out of our dog in a split-second given the chance to do so. Of course, we especially don't even allow our dog the freedom of being out in its own front yard for the same reason. Before the pit bull came into our life, our dog would enjoy being out in our front yard each day. He especially enjoyed laying on the front porch in the early morning hours, and being let out the front door to do his business. But no more! Now that the pit bull has taken up residence next door it's OUR dog that is imprisoned, having to be kept either in the house or out in our fenced back yard for his protection. It all sucks!

Schizm

• morty
    morty

Schizm,

I am sorry to hear that your dog is being prisoned in your own home.It should not be like that. Maybe you could express your feelings to the neighbour and ask them how their dog would react to the fact that your dog would like to be out front on the prouch as well without the fear of your pooch being lunch.Your dog deserves just as much freedom has that dog.Like I had said before, it is all about the way dogs are trained.Keep your lines of communication opened with your neighbours and good luck to resolving your issue.

BTW, I have 2 cats in our home with our dog and they get along just fine.....

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

:~Morty, of the never debates class~ Morty, of the I will get the last word in even if it means repeating the same thing that I said in my last 3 posts. LOL

• neverthere
    neverthere

Ok, without having read all the posts before me I have to take a stab at answering this one. I have been involved in the "dog world" for as long as I can remember. The Pit Bull is NOT a pure bred dog, it is a variation of a MIX breed. Starting with the American Bull Terrier. Saying that they are Pure Bred is like saying a cockapoo is a pure bred dog, two (or more) different breeds mixed together, without science to follow it and without generations that are left in between to stablize the breed.

That said, any dog, and I do mean ANY dog, regardless of breed, age, height etc can be extremely vicious. I remember friends of the family putting a whole litter of dogs to sleep because they kept attacking and I do mean ATTACKING each other. Better safe than sorry was this breeders point of view.

Many times the dogs that spawn (for lack of a better word) pet pit bulls were dogs that were bred for their vicious nature and intended for fighting. Though fighting dogs is illegal many many people still practice this form of "entertainment".

If you are afraid of the dog or afraid for your children do not go near it, not just a pit bull but any dog. I have seen dogs that though they seemed extremely docile have attacked and almost killed people. Even then the human owners were hesitant to put the dog to sleep.

I have one rule with my own dog (she is 10 now and kind of cranky) if she ever bit one of the kids without provocation (like if they fell on her, pulled her tail, smacked her) she goes to the vet IMMEDIATELY. She considers all my kids her puppies. If that day ever changes and she sees them as rivals then she goes to live with my mother's best friend.

I will definetly have a dog again after her, but after my kids are grown. I hope to get an Irish wolf hound, they are a lovely breed.

BTW, my dog is a sheltie!

Diana

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

"A Pit Bull" is also the punchline for an old joke;

"What has four legs and an arm?"

cd

• morty
    morty

lol@ Dan....does that mean I win?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I guess I am not going to convince you that they can be good dogs,

I never said that it was impossible for a pit bull to make a good pet. You are attacking an argument I never made.

I am certainly not going to be convinced that they are "thug dogs" either.

Yes, you seem to be immune to reason and facts.

So I guess you will classify me in the "sychotic apologists" group.

Yes.

You know something else, Chevy ( my parents pit bull) has gone to many shows in the past, in the presences of many other dogs, children and adults, and has never even batted a eye lash at anyone.

I never said that it was impossible for a pit bull to make a good pet. You are attacking an argument I never made.

..He also walks in a park where there is no leashs needed , without attacking someone walking their poodle and 3 children under the age of 8

...btw, no, I don't use our dog for a search and rescue, we have him to be loved and be respected in our family.

um, ok - ?

btw, were you on the Simpson jury?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit