ANOINTING - How JWs really know!

by Amazing 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

ANOINTING - How JWs really know!

[Note: This is a 7 page post in case you may want to print it out and read it later. I hope that I do provide clarity on this topic, but I accept that I may have muddied the waters as much as I have tried to clear them up. But then, what the heck!]

One of the biggest mysteries among the Other Sheep(OS) class of Jehovah’s Witnesses today is how those few who profess to be Anointed(A) really know they are such. In order to make this post meaningful I need to write as though I were still a JW. Today, I do not agree with the Watch Tower interpretation of Christian Anointing, and cannot completely subscribe to the following notions. Please keep this context in mind as you read:

When I first became a JW I was naturally curious about how the Anointed knew they were such, especially those that made this profession in the post-1935 era. When I would have occasion to ask one of the Anointed about this, I received two standard party-line responses:

1. Read Romans 8:16 which says, The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

2. If you are one then you will know it, and would not have to ask. (This was said to avoid the appearance of recruiting new members to the Anointed Class. I also sometimes think that this standard reply was said to perpetrate the mystery and illusion that somehow Anointed JWs had something special over and above the OS JWs.

These typical responses normally cause the OS JW to discontinue further questionings. But the truth is, these answers almost never satisfies an OS JW because they fail to answer the real intent of the question: What does God do to let you know? That is, what is the actual experience? Does Jehovah speak to you in a dream? Does God zap you with a special aura or electrifying sensation? Do you feel some physical reaction?

I engaged very intensive research into this topic when I was a young JW because of two things, 1) I felt that I was being called to that hope, and 2) I had an enormous curiosity that would not rest until I uncovered the secret. I had to know the answer no matter what.

I started with current Watch Tower publications and went through many books and magazines in a chronological search all the way back to the 1800s. Although my ability to find pre-1935 material that dealt with this topic to be very limited, both in actual articles and in my access to such publications.

Many of the Watchtower magazine articles on this topic, normally published on or near memorial time always seem to steer OS JWs to highly suspect Anointing post-1935, highlighted mental and emotional problems that might be the cause behind one thinking they were Anointed, and especially the rarity of becoming a new replacement to an unfaithful Anointed person who died in a disapproved state.

The best material I found that truly dealt with the Anointing process and how one really knows is found in the book Life Everlasting in the Freedom of the Sons of God and a Watchtower article written in the 1950s, before all the 1935 scare tactics had cone into vogue in Watch Tower publications. I will have to try and find the 1950s article and transmit it to you, because I found it to be the most kind and informative article ever written by the Watch Tower Society with respect to how one knows they are of the Anointed. It is valuable in the sense that any JW who believes they might be of the Anointed Class can more objectively deal with it in the post-1935 mentality.

Important clues to understanding JW Anointing: Before I continued with this discussion, I need to remind everyone of some important aspects of JW Anointing that will help set the stage to understand my comments later on.

1. Many years before 1935, all JWs were considered of the Anointed Class. In fact, there were understood to be two (2) heavenly classes, the Bride of Christ, co-Rulers, the 144,000 and the Bride’s maids who would accompany the Bride class into heaven. I believe that at one time, the Great Crowd (Great Company as it was called) was this Attendant Class, but I may be in error on that specific issue.

Before 1931, they were not even known as or claimed to be Jehovah’s Witnesses, but simply known as Bible Students. Initially, prior to Charles Russell’s death, anyone who became a baptized Bible Student, regardless of their personality, merits of living, time of service, newness in the organization, or youthful age were automatically understood to be of the Anointed. There was no special spiritual experience wherein the person felt some electrifying charge or heavenly voices. The Watch Tower Society blatantly states that these pre-1935 Anointed knew they were such because of two factors: 1) That was the only calling available, and 2) They publications told them they were. That is, the Society told these people, and not necessarily any other avenue would they learn of their heavenly hope.

2. As the years progressed, the secondary heavenly class emerged. I am not sure just how this developed, but those I have known who claimed they were of this Attendant heavenly Great Company said that they did not feel comfortable with the calling to be of the 144,000 and that when the Society finally determined that the calling was closed in 1935 and that the Great Crowd was really an earthly hope, they were greatly relieved. Looking back, I have no doubt that the Judge was behind articles that must have created this ‘discomfort’ so that he had them primed to jump from heaven back to earth. But, I have no specific WTS publication references for this. The point is, that once again, the only way JWs by then knew of their calling was when the Society drew the distinction, and not because of some extra spiritual event. [BTW: The Society closed the Heavenly Calling first in 1878 when they used to think that Jesus returned in 1874. But, then in some miraculous development, the calling was understood to be continued until 1935. So, I have no doubt that if the Society wishes to have more Anointed for its leadership positions on the Governing Body, they may extend this calling again.]

3. For whatever reason, as some continued to proclaim being of the Anointed Class post-1935, the Society decided to allow for this contingency rather than totally close the door to heaven. But, the general understanding is that many former Bible Students who defected between 1918 and the late 1920s were Anointed, but now among the Evil Slave Class. So, as these died off in an unfaithful condition, there would be needed replacements to fill the full number of 144,000. Remember, once Anointed, there is no losing your hope until you are dead. You cannot be ‘busted’ back to an OS for unfaithfulness. You either become faithful again, or you die forever with no hope. So, they did not say much at first, I suspect because enough were claiming to be of the OS and fewer and fewer were claiming Anointing. This casual or moderate treatment seemed to continue into the 1950s. I knew of several Anointed JWs who became such in the late 1950s and into the early 1960s. They did not recall any problem or objection to their profession during those years

4. Then the 1970s arrive and the Society seem to change direction a little. They still allowed for a few new Anointed to replaces some few Evil Slave who dies off, but the tone became very arrogant. The possibility for a replacement became a very rare needed event. Only those with long time faithful service would likely be called. This gave the impression to new JWs from the 1970s onward that the Anointed would be really good JWs with pristine conduct, and likely an Elder and/or Reg. Pioneer and much older in years. None of this matched the experiences of JW and Bible Student Anointed from earlier decades.

5. By the mid 1970s, the Society then began a campaign to discredit newly Anointed is they were young in years and in the organization, were ever on drugs from the Hippie days, had any mental or emotional problems, or used to be part of one of the Churches of Christendom where the Heavenly Hope was the only calling. Yet, these same conditions, especially being a member of a Church was most common among early Bible Students and JWs post-1931 but pre-1950s. But somehow, these criteria became all-important in determining in the 1970s whether one was of the Anointed Class.

Now enters Brother Amazing in the late 1960s: When I first started studying in the late 1960s I began reading my Bible and relating to the Heavenly calling. My instructor encouraged me to wait and see how I felt in a few years, and he cited all the same reasons mentioned above, and also, that I could not be Anointed because I was not even Baptized yet. Keep this point in mind, because it directly relates to a Watchtower article that was published in the early 1970s on this very issue of being Anointed Before one was baptized.

I was Baptized on July 17th, 1970 at the Oakland, California ‘Men of Goodwill’ District Assembly [Called District Conventions today]. I was also engaged to a beautiful and wonderful young lady whom I married in November 1970. My interests in her precluded any thoughts of leaving earth, and made it easy to set aside my Heavenly hopes. But, as time went on, and I became more knowledgeable about the Society teaching on this, I felt very strongly that I should partake at the Memorial and openly profess my calling to Heaven. I still held back because of the ‘pressure’ that had developed among JWs. It was not until years later that I partook for the first time.

So, HOW did I really Know?: By the time I had partaken at the Memorial, I was a Ministerial Servant, and had 3 children at the time. The months prior to my taking this step were among the most fascinating because of events in our specific congregation and because I did not want to hurt my lovely and wonderful wife and my young children. But, I also could not hold back what I felt was an important spiritual event in my life and could no longer deny. Here is what happened:

As we moved to a new congregation in the eastern part of our state, I found two things that alerted me. 1) There was a young, but highly respected Elder of the Anointed, and 2) there had recently been a major disfellowshipping of 29 people from 7 congregations, most of whom claimed to be of the Anointed. The congregations involved spanned parts of 4 states, and included 7 JWs from my new congregation. This frankly scared the crap out of me because I did not want to be viewed as one of those ‘apostate’ odd balls destined to be a trouble-maker.

Yet, I was very intrigued by the one young Elder of the Anointed because he seems to be very knowledgeable, studious, informed, intelligent, yet humble and reserved. I sought him out to resolve some of my remaining questions. Why would I have questions if I was Anointed? Why would I need any answers if I had done so much research and Jehovah God had called me to be part of the Heavenly Class? What could this Anointed Elder possibly tell me that I didn’t already know?

Taking the steps: I did not need this brother to tell me what my hope was, for I had NO doubts about it. My purpose in talking to him was to ascertain whether my partaking would be a wise move in light of the recent disfellowshipping of 7 JWs in that congregation who all professed to be Anointed. I did not want to rock anyone’s boat or be treated as an odd ball. Also, I wanted to draw closer to him as a friend who would have a bond because of our common hope. Finally, I still wanted to match Anointing experiences out of pure curiosity.

He related his anointing experience, and it matched mine exactly. This was helpful because own experience was independent of knowing about his. It was also somewhat a confirmation and validation of my own experience. I did not really need the validation, but it was nice nonetheless. He felt that my partaking would raise eyebrows, but since I was an MS, in line to be an Elder, that it would be less of a concern than it was for the 7 odd balls because they were not as active or held any position in the congregation. Finally, although I said nothing about this, he threw me a curve in boldly stating that he was not one to make friends, and especially of fellow Anointed. He did not want the impression that we were sectioning ourselves off from the OS JWs. I told him that would not be a problem and that I was likewise not wanting to give any bad impressions. But, what I did not tell him was that he offended and hurt me, not because I needed his friendship, but because of his self-righteous and prickish attitude. That pretty much ended any relationship I might have had with him, and instead I concentrate on being a friend to all and keeping y hope to myself, except at Memorial time.

The Determination of How I knew: I know that you may be tired of wading through all this advance discussion, but I feel that it has been necessary to set the stage so that you will better understand how JWs, in today’s environment, know that they are Anointed.

1. The first publication I mention that is a good study in JW Anointing is called Life Everlasting in the Freedom of the Sons of God It is a red hard bound book published in the mid-1960s. It was, I understand, the direct product of Fred Franz. One of the Chapters deals very specifically and with great detail as to how one knows that are Anointed. It basically identifies two important aspects to consider: A) The when reading the Bible, one begins to ‘identify’ with the scriptures as applying to themselves, such that they recognize that when it speaks of a Heavenly calling, or hope, or being with Christ in Heaven, one will positively relate to this, and began to cultivate this hope and entertain it, and it will consume their mind and heart. B) That one also receives the Spirit of Sonship recognizing that one is an adopted child of God. The Spirit of Sonship creates within the person the sense, the realization, that Jehovah God is their father, such that they can call him Dad, or Papa with no shame or discomfort.

2. The Watchtower magazine article published in the 1950s goes even deeper into how one recognizes this relationship of Sonship. It details how one reads the Scriptures and relates to its message for them personally. Both the Life book and the Wt magazine emphasize that this is a growth process not based on how good one is, or how long one has been a JW, or what position one holds in the organization, but totally and 100% dependent on God who does the calling.

Read: 1 Cor 1:26-2:2: For behold your calling, brethren, that not many wise after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, (are called): but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong; and the base things of the world, and the things that are despised, did God choose, (yea) and the things that are not, that he might bring to nought the things that are: that no flesh should glory before God. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who was made unto us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption: that, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. ... And I, brethren, when I came unto you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Essentially, this means that the Anointed relationship is not based on organizational performance, age, newness in the faith, official position, sex, personality, works of righteousness, or any other outward criteria exhibited by the individual, but it is entirely an act of Jehovah God’s choice to use those whom he wishes. Another verse in the Bible uses Essaw and Jacob, showing how the younger was chosen over the older/ and other references show much the same point, that Christian Anointing is purely from God and not from any other man-made criteria.

3. I will have to look it up, but there is a Watchtower magazine study article published in the early to mid-1970s that discussed Anointing ever Before baptism. The article dealt with the Anointing of Cornelius before he and his family were Baptized by the Apostle Peter. It was a rather odd article and clearly suggested to some JWs who were recently Anointed that they were not crazy. A sister I knew who became a JW about 1968 (just before me) said that she felt the Anointing before baptism, and when she partook just after baptism, was told (ordered) to stop by the CS. But, when that particular article was published, she responded immediately and began partaking at the following Memorial. She felt that it was from Jehovah to her, helping her to not be afraid or confused about her Heavenly Hope.

What Jehovah does not do. Any JW of the Anointed worth their salt will disavow any special spiritual experience where they were electrified, or heard any voices, or in some way were knocked on the head. The experience is one where the person studies, pursues, and satisfies an internal desire or need that will not leave them until they get the answers. They already know and understand that they are drawn by positive response to what the Bible says to those who are anointed, and their research is to ‘make sure of all thing, and hold fast to that which is fine.

2 Tim 1:9 who saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before times eternal,

If the Watch Tower Society would leave the OS JWs alone, then I have no doubt that about a half a million to a million or so would take up the Heavenly Calling and openly profess to be Anointed. I say this because the average person, JW or otherwise, who reads the Bible and puts faith in Jesus Christ recognizes this destiny. But, the Watch Tower religion is trying to close the door to the Kingdom of Heaven.

Read these verses and see how a JW can be so motivated to seek the Heavenly calling: Also, I will make some commentary about why I chose the verse for this discussion.

Matt 13:45-46, Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is a merchant seeking goodly pearls: and having found one pearl of great price, he went and sold all that he had, and bought it. JW who become Anointed immediately understand this as the major concern in their life to pursue the heavenly calling, no matter what threats or pressure comes from the Iron Tower.

Phil 3:14, I press on toward the goal unto the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Anointing brings with it the prize to be pursued no matter what.

Gal 5:7-10, You did run well; who did hinder you that you should not obey the truth? This persuasion comes not of him that called you. A little leaven ferments the whole lump. I have confidence in you through the Lord, that you will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubles you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be. Those who have made trouble for anyone of the Anointed, such that they try to create doubts and fears about their calling will bear judgment regardless of their position in life or organizational ranking.

Col 2:18, Let no man rob you of your prize by a voluntary humility and worshipping of the angels, dwelling in the things which he has seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, Once one understands their relationship of Sonship with God, then they also understand the need to never let anyone rob them of this. It was verses like these that helped me to resist the fear and trouble that the WTS and Elders make for us with claims that it is a rare calling only given to long time JWs, likely those in the organization before 1935.

Matt 23:13. But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men: for you enter not in yourselves, neither suffer you them that are entering in to enter. Ironically, it was this verse that made me realize that any attempt to shut me out of the kingdom came from men whom themselves could not get in.

So, I just realized over time as I read the Bible that as I positively responded to all this Biblical encouragement to accept the Sonship and adoption from God, that I cannot be anything but an Anointed Christian. That the Watch Tower Society’s own publications confirmed and validated everything I was feeling and understanding, and every Anointed person I talked to, except one, also validated and confirmed that my experience matched their own.

It was then I realized that Anointing was a simple feature or characteristic of being Christian, and that God does not perform some electrifying-voice-booming-beam-me up-scotty type of act to tell me what he clearly and easily told me in the Bible. That is it. It is as simple and clear as that. And the Watch Tower Society is really guilty of making a mystery religion out of anointing where there is none, and their own publications show it ... but, the Governing Body and their DOs and COs allow this mystery to be perpetuated to keep the average JW from getting the clue.

What of today?: That, I will save for my next post. But, I can say that I am going through some personal evolution such that I am questioning God, his wisdom, purpose, intent, authorship of the Bible, and so I am reserving my religious hopes until I can resolve some of my concerns. I still believe in God and that he started the process of evolution for the human race. I cannot believe that we are a chance coordination of molecules that sprung up on our own, but I cannot prove otherwise. So, humbly, I need to take a wait and see posture. Because I so strongly question God, I have to question my very relationship with him. But, if he is the good and great and loving God as proclaimed by Jesus Christ, then I have to believe that he, as my heavenly father has broad enough shoulders to allow me some space and time to work through this without roasting my ass at Armageddon.

Finally, my sole remaining anchor that gives me hope and sustains my faith is the person of Jesus Christ. I find that he is not only a historical person, but also a unique individual that has had a profound affect on human history ... too much to be ignored. But, if Jesus Christ proves to be a fiction of an early religious fad that grew into jumbo religion, then, while disappointed, I will have to become content to declare myself an agnostic. Whatever take place, I will keep you all up to date. I enjoy your posts and the research and perspective you each have is very good for me. I appreciate your friendship. - Amazing

• Amazing
    Amazing

Brief PS: I have not forgotten about the special event at Pentecost where the first disciples got tongues of fire on their heads and spoke in tongues. they also cured the sick and raised the dead. My discussion above is all about JW Anointing as it has developed from the late 1800s to the present and my own personal experience. If God zaps me with a tongue of fire ... I will be the first to get a polariod shot, scan it, and post it here for you all. - Amazing

• heathen
    heathen

AMAZING ,YOU ARE A QUACK.

• Francois
    Francois

Heathen, you've just insulted an entire world full of quacks.

ft

My $0.02

• outnfree
    outnfree

Thank you, Amazing,

for your research and your explanation.

You stated:

I can say that I am going through some personal evolution such that I am questioning God, his wisdom, purpose, intent, authorship of the Bible, and so I am reserving my religious hopes until I can resolve some of my concerns. I still believe in God and that he started the process of evolution for the human race. I cannot believe that we are a chance coordination of molecules that sprung up on our own, but I cannot prove otherwise. So, humbly, I need to take a wait and see posture. Because I so strongly question God, I have to question my very relationship with him. But, if he is the good and great and loving God as proclaimed by Jesus Christ, then I have to believe that he, as my heavenly father has broad enough shoulders to allow me some space and time to work through this without roasting my ass at Armageddon.

And you mentioned that you are appreciative of the Jesus of the Bible, his teachings and his personality.

I am precisely at this point. I WANT to believe in God, I want desperately to have the comfortable, close relationship I had with my Father for as far back as I can remember (I was raised a mainstream Protestant and converted). But I am floundering. However, I still find Jesus admirable, and thus I am reading up on the historicity of the Christ. In addition, I continue my Bible reading with no Bible aids. Just the Scriptures and my notepad, as I jot down whatever insights I glean as I study.

Meanwhile, I am attending a small Bible study group, and we were discussing holy spirit. Some believe holy spirit to be a Person, I do not. However, I DO believe that the Bible teaches God's holy spirit has been active and acting on those He chooses since the beginning of time. When Jeremiah says, "The spirit of Jehovah said to me....", he had received holy spirit. When the dove alighted on Jesus, it was to make it plain to JOHN and his followers, that the Father had given holy spirit, an anointing, to his unique Son. When Jesus and the apostles performed miracles during their ministry tours, they were in a special "chosen" relationship with the Spirit of God. (Remember the 70 disciples sent out BEFORE Pentecost 33 CE performed miracles in Jesus' name.) The tongues of fire that appeared to the disciples in the upper room were confirmation to those disciples that THEY STILL WERE THE CHOSEN ONES OF GOD, and that, just because Jesus had left them, holy spirit would not. Indeed, holy spirit would once again be the means (as it was in OT days -- whether as visions, dreams, whispers, angels, etc.) that God's people would know that they were chosen by God to join themselves to him and his purposes. It would teach them, remind them, and comfort them as Jesus used it to build his congregation/body on earth.

Yep. I now believe that's what the Bible teaches.
    Now all I have to figure out is whether or not the Bible is the definitive Word about the Creator whom I intuit is out there somewhere.

Thanks again, Amazing.

outnfree

• terraly
    terraly

Hey Amazing,

A very interesting post.
    The shear arrogance of the Watchtower in dictating the spiritual lives of its followers is profoundly disturbing, but the notion that, unless you want to be one of the "troublesome new annointed", you have to interpret the Bible's message as being only partly for you is one of the worst ways that the WT messes with Witnesses.

I empathize with where you are at in your current beliefs, and I look forward to your next post.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Heathen: You say that I am a Quack? Maybe you can be a little bit more specific as the why you say this? - Amazing

• truman
    truman

Amazing,

Thanks for posting this for us. It was very a very interesting discussion. I personally know a JW anointed. He is the PO of our cong., and is one of the younger anointed, just now turning 60. He has experienced some resistance from fellow jws over the years. This was mostly at the beginning, since he made his claim of anointed status when he was a man in his 30's. The process you describe is pretty much the same as he says. One unfortunate side effect of this 2-class system, is that his wife (OS JW) has long had to struggle with a sadness due to her conviction that she would be permanently separated from him in the new system.

I also appreciate hearing about your questioning God process. I am also going through this in my own way, and hope that god is such that he can bear with us during this search for answers and meaning.

Did you get my email in answer to your article on helping family members out of the org.? I sent it several days ago, and never heard back. Sometimes I do not entirely trust these computers to have done what they claim in delivering the email to the intended place. No reply was really necessary, but I would like to know my message reached you. Thanks

• Amazing
    Amazing

HI Truman: Yes, I got your email today when I checked. I thought I emails something back, but I may not have yet. Thanks again for your very nice comments. - Amazing

• Amazing
    Amazing

HI Terraly: My own experience being an Anointed JW was that some kindly accepted it and others did not, but few said much and mostly did not give it a thought except around Memorial time. When Circuit Overseers visited, they always routinely asked the Elders about me and if everything was okay. The purpose of their questions was not out of concern for me, but whether or not I was a 'problem' for the Elders. The Elders always gave good comments about me because I normally meshed in well with the group.

Once I was appointed as an Elder this 'questioning' continued, but with less concern. As I got older, and the majority base of JWs was younger, then my being of the Anointed was less and less a concern. And at times became too positive. In other words, if I said something by way of a religious opinion, and it differred from what another Elder said, then more weight was given to my words because of the big-A on my cape. LOL

I only ran into one really serious problem with a congregation I visited while out on business. Wesley Brenner was the Co visiting during the Memorial time, and an issue was made by a couple of local MSs and he as Co got involved. Eventually the Society was brought into the issue, because some locals did not feel that I should be partaking. That should make for a good post. I might do that later today. - Amazing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit