I'm discovering the joy of....... heavy metal!!

by Leander 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

Over the last couple of years I've been trying to experience activities and interests that would have been frowned upon when I was still a dub.One of the things that I've really developed a passion for is metal and hard rock, in particular metal really strikes a chord with me (pun intended). I'm pretty much a big fan of almost anything Metallica has done, I also dig a lot of the more recent groups like Tool, A Perfect Cricle, Sevendust, etc.. But there's still a lot of old school metal groups that I want to go back and listen to. Any suggestions on any good late 70's-80's metal bands? The only exception would be the glam and hair metal bands, I still have nightmares from seeing grown men in tights and makeup. Also I don't think I'm ready for an satanic bands just yet. Speaking of which is Black Sabbath associated with the occult? I've heard a lot of people say that Sabbath are really the pioneers of metal.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

oh yea, one of my favorites, The Scorpions.... love that band

• Leander
    Leander

Its funny you mention the Scorpions, I was just poking around on allmusic.com and I say a few references to that band. Looks like I'll have to give them a listen. Do you have a favorite album by them?

• gumby
    gumby
    I still have nightmares from seeing grown men in tights and makeup.

Yeah....I know what you mean.......I had a dream about Shotgun myself lastnight.

I never liked metal. I like to hear a good voice with a song. Metal is abrasive to me and only an aid to anger for many. Classic Rock........now that's good stuff.

Gumby

• avishai
    avishai

Iron Maiden rules!!!!!

• Leander
    Leander

How do you guys do quotes? Am I missing a button or something?

I'm still exploring a lot of classic rock at the moment, I really dig Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Doors and The Beatles. On my list of groups to listen to are the Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones and The Who. Most of the music I grew up listening to was jazz along with a few soul records. So most rock is like a new experience for me.

• neverthere
    neverthere

Though they did use some occult references the Black Sabbath was NOT an occult band. I love many of their songs like Ironman ( my high school sport teams were the Ironmen!), Warpigs, Fairies Wear boots and many more such as the one that goes

"Finished with my woman cause she couldn't help me with my mind,.........people think I am insane because I am frowning all the time"

I loved it when Ozzy was with them! Check out Ozzy's stuff too, and Alice Cooper (he really is quite funny and has a great slow song that they play on our local country station often "Only Women Bleed" (no it is not a dirty song, it is about a woman's pain) and I love "Millie and Billy" "Steven" and "Gail"

You might also want to check out Slayer and give some of the glam rock bands a listen, just don't look at the album covers! I don't know where I would have been without the original Motley Crue their song "Shout at the Devil" helped me pass english class!

Diana

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I've been catching up on a lot of great 90's heavy metal I missed out on because of being a dub - Deftones, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson. I also just recently was turned on to Radiohead, another band whose heydey has probably come and gone but I completely missed that boat.

Any suggestions on any good late 70's-80's metal bands

Judas Priest, Iron Maiden (1st two albums are incredible), Ozzy's early eighties stuff with Randy Rhoads is all good, Scorpions, Dio, Rainbow.

• Leander
    Leander

When I was a kid I used to love walking in the record store looking at the Iron Maiden album covers, they had the coolest artwork. I'm embarassed to admit I have never heard an Iron Maiden song yet.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

You may have heard the song Run to the Hills, it was probably the closest IM ever came to a radio hit. But their music was never really radio-friendly so yes you probably wouldn't recognize most of the songs that IM fans love. One of my favorites is a live version of their song Revelations from the album Live After Death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit