DF'd, what do I say????

by Pinned Blouse 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleur
    Fleur

as more time goes by, pinned, you will learn to shed the shame and guilt that they thrust on to you when you were df'd. (i think this is true of folks whether df'd wrongly, or 'rightly' if you're going by jw rules...) i think that the longer you're out, and/or once you learn the truth about the "truth" then you realize that not only don't these people have any authority over you, they sure as hell didn't have the authority to tell your family and friends that you were unfit association; that is something each person should decide in their lives one on one and based on behavior of the individuals involved.

example: i have a never been a jw relative through marriage who was showing undue interest in my young daughter. so my husband and i nipped that in the bud; he is no longer welcome in my home. he knows why, he has never argued the point; so the wife (my blood relative) leaves it be and ironically, told me she agreed with my decision! but that is not based on any committee of men without the facts being involved; that is based on the behavior i saw developing that i wanted to cut right off for my child's safety.

the org. uses df'ing to shame people who question them, for one thing (forget anything else done, that is all you have to do to get the ax!) and once you realize that, that there is just no way to decide you don't believe anymore without these consequences if you get 'found out'...then you realize just how ridiculous the whole thing is and lose the shame and guilt.

i hope this makes sense, i haven't had my caffeine this morning yet. but my point is, don't let them hold the power over you still. like everyone else said, just be your own sweet self to everyone at work, treat the jw's just like everyone else.

recently, we were at a restaurant and a table of jw's (most of whom i recognized) from a cong. i attended 15 years ago were beside ours. one guy (who is a nice person) kept kinda glancing at us like he thought he knew me, but he wouldn't know my husband. anyway, as i ate my meal, i had an epiphany; for the first time, i thought that if someone approached me not knowing i was df'd, and asked, or just approached me that way and i didn't want to continue the conversation, i'd say "how are you?" when they asked how i was, i would reply "You know, i'm better then i've ever been, i'm not a jw anymore!" and leave it at that. if they continued the conversation then it would be their choice. if they walked away, they'd have something to think about to take with them as a lovely parting gift.

in any event, don't hang your head in shame. you don't deserve to. cast that off, today. because you are worthy of love of anyone who treats you well, and don't you doubt that for a second just because three or four men on a committee with no power except over the weak minded told you that you were now an outsider.

love,

fleur

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

I also was wrongfully disfellowshipped on bogus false charges.I got,"voted off the Island" because I didn't sell enough Watchtowers.Rockland Massachusetts Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on exit date 01-05-92. At first the perpetrators thought i would go slither under a rock and drink myself to death.Big backfire,I've been giving them hell from the get go. Get this,they stopped going to the town supermarket because of my presence there.They are such control freaks with a mean streak.Cowards too.They kept coming by at night and slashing the tires on my car. Now, I am "in their face in cyberspace" alt http://www.lawfulmoney.com/nlm/_discjw/00000003.htm

• Scully
    Scully

Honestly, I wouldn't say anything, because it is none of their business. You are at work to work, not to discuss religion or other personal, non-work related activities. There have been several threads on the forum that deal with the kind of treatment a person gets when they disclose to JW co-workers that they are no longer JWs. If you keep your personal details personal and insist on keeping religious discussions out of the workplace, your professional relationships with JWs will remain cordial and professional. The best answer to a JW who starts Witnessing? at work is "This is neither the time nor the place for this kind of discussion. I am here to work. I would appreciate it if you could respect that." It is an assertive statement and makes your position clear without being rude or b*tchy.

Love, Scully

• TRUTH SEEKER
    TRUTH SEEKER

When I was df'd years ago I would tell them- it was like an automatice response. God, I don't know who was more uncomfortable- me or them. I was reinstated a while back but dropped out. These days I try to disappear when they come around. Certain ones I see in restaurants or else where, I never would pick them to be my friends and I sure as h*ll don't want to talk to them now~all dressed up in their skirts and suits when it is freakin' 98 degrees outside!

• franklin J
    franklin J

why do you have to tell them anything?

If they ask you can be honest; but if they do not ask --why bother to get into it?

• Gerard
    Gerard
    DF'd, what do I say????

Say: Thank you for my freedom!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

You don't have to live or speak according their rules.

You owe them nothing.

So I won't tell them anything at all.

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Thank you guys for all your responses. I see this one JW lady at work every morning as we go get breakfast in the morning at the same time, I find myself gauging whether or not she speaks to me or not that she has "found out" that I am no longer a JW. I cannot believe I let them have control over me like that! This gane has been going on for about 5 years.

PB

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

One of the exjw's I know from another list always said good morning to everyone at work, this included a JW lady. Everyone said good morning back. He didn't try to make conversation with her, but if something job related would come up they would talk and of course he was always as friendly to her as to all the rest. Well one morning she tells him, Steve, I have to talk to you, right now. She takes him in another room and tells him, "I want you to stop saying good morning to me, you know you are df'd and I'm not allowed to talk to you." Steve says, hell no, those are your rules, not mine, I don't play your games. If you don't like it you don't have to reply to me. She dropped her bottom jaw on the floor where it skidded to a stop.

I thought his was an excellent response. Why do you have to play by their rules if you don't believe in them anymore? Kind of silly, really when you think about it.

Sherry

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Sherry,

You are right, I am known as the one "who speaks to everybody" and it would go against my nature not to. I know it is silly and I should not care but I "allow" it to bother me when I shouldn't. That is why I love this board!

Thanks Sherry :-)

PB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit