Marijuana for migraines?

by Odrade 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

So yesterday I had such bad migraine (with all of its accompanying symptoms...) that I ended up at ER for narcotics and re-hydration. This was after excruciating pain for 7-8 hours thinking "just a little more time and it'll easy up." wrong.

Anyways, they grogged me up with atavan, thorazine and one other I can't recall... and I'm still pretty unsteady on my feet today. So I'm thinking that had I been able to convince husband to let me bring MJ in the house and try it for my migraine, I may not have been in pain as long, ended up in ER, or suffering the drug after-effects today...

Anyone care to comment? pros/cons appreciated.

O

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I get migraines and can totally sympathize, but no info on MJ for them.

A fellow I work with has had cluster headaches for years. And finally has gotten some relief using mushrooms. He?s very careful about it, but it has given him a life again.

(how can I get the red to STOP?)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Have you tried prescription Imitrex (sumatriptan succinate)?

It is available as an auto-injector, a nasal spray and a tablet.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Instead of smoking it try making a tea. It isn't going to harm your lungs that way and maybe you could pass it off as a herbal remedy to your hubby!

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

There is a new drug for migraines that they are testing (can't remember the name) that stimulates the endocannibinoid system (stimulating the "pleasure centers" of the brain, and reducing the hyperactive neurotransmission that causes migraines). In effect, it is releasing cannibinoids in the body in order to stop the migraine. I think (this is my personal unproven opinion) that smoking a fatty would have much the same effect. It's what I do when a migraine is coming, and I haven't had a migraine in months. Just my $.02.

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

I am 33 and have had migraine headches for 26 years. I have tried everything but boiled cow tits. I have found that Relpax has worked for me. You can take it at any time of the attack. I would not recommend the "sticky icky" as they call it. Too many carcinogens.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Alright, two questions so far,

Ben: Make a tea? How much do I need for that? I would imagine a good strong tea is going to take a lot more bud than a little pipe... but it would make it way more acceptable to hubby.

Pinned: I have a couple of relpax samples but am afraid to try them (I read the contraindacations, bad me.) How long have you been using it, and do you have any side effects? How long into the migraine can you take relpax and still have it work for you? A lot of times I don't know a headache is developing into a full-blown migraine until it's pretty much there already.

And MAYBES!!! Girl, I love the WonderWoman avatar. WonderWoman is my hero. My therapist is all encouraging me about it too. He says it's way better than the Joan of Arc attitude I was having before. LOL! Love ya! When are you coming down my way? I'd love to see you again...

Odrade

geez. two edits. Gotta love that morning after migraine aphasia. now where's my damn coffee...

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Odrade, we HAVE to get together sometime! Maybe we can nab some other apostates for an informal get together. I've been busier than a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest lately, but I can make time for my 'postates! I'll PM you my #. (((((((Odrade))))))

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I have heard it works for some people for pain. Some have suggested making it into an oil by slowly heating the MJ in the oil to release the essentials into the oil and then rubbing the oil on the body (the temples for migraine).

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I just typed,, Marijuana migraines in my search engine and came up witha couple of essays

Here's one:http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3285.html

C&P:The usual pharmaceutical treatment for migraine is sumatriptan, sold under the brand name Imitrex. Yet it is ineffective in about 30% of patients, and produces negative side-effects in many others.

Marijuana has been recommended for migraine since the 6th century, including numerous references in the medical literature of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit