Marijuana for migraines?

by Odrade 43 Replies latest jw friends

• El blanko
    El blanko
    Make a tea? How much do I need for that?

Depends on the strength of the weed.

I used to use double zero (strong resin/solid) and used hmmm .... maybe just under a CM squared. Heated it up with a flame to crumble it and then added boiling water and stirred. Added honey to taste. The effect kicked in after 1 hour and slowly built up.

If you use skunk, just use maybe twice the amount that you use for a roll up and pop it in boiling water and stir. Make sure you consume all of the plant + water. Should have about the same effect.

It's pretty hit and miss taking it this way.

It's worth a shot as a temporary fix to the pain you suffer.

• stephoness
    stephoness

I am a little bit of an expert when it comes to marijuana.

Marijuana changes the blood flow and pressure in your eyes and parts of your brain. That is why it's used oftentimes for glaucoma patients. With many migraines the pain is caused by increased pressure from the blood vessels in your head. (I have also found that a lot of times for me migraines are caused by withdrawal from caffiene.) Depending on why you have the migraine, marijuana might increase or decrease the pain. It might also make you not really care about the pain or completely forget about it altogether. One thing I do suggest is that coughing from the marijuana smoke might be extremely painful during a migraine, so ingesting the marijuana might be better than smoking it.

You cannot overdose on marijuana. There has never been one case of anyone dying from an overdose of marijuana. However mixing marijuana and other drugs might double or triple the effect of the other drug. If you are currently taking a prescription you might want to read the side effects of the prescription because you will be more likely to have side effects from it if you use marijuana at the same time.

Here is an excellant resource regarding marijuana: http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

((((((Odrade))))))

Sorry you have to suffer from this. I too have suffered from migraines for most of my life-as have many in my family. And, like you, I don't usually know "if" it's going to turn into a migraine until it's too far gone.

One thing I usually try right away is a very strong cup of coffee. Many times a caffeine will do the trick if it's not a migraine coming on. If so, the relief is usually pretty quick.

I've tried weed too and the only way it works is in that "if" stage. It has helped to keep a migraine at bay unless it's one of the determined ones. It also helps to alleviate a bit of the nausea that accompanies most of mine.

I've made so many trips to the ER that now I have an aversion to them that is pretty strong. Because there are still so many unanswered questions about migraines, the medical profession treats them (and the sufferer) in all sorts of ways. In fact, I had never heard of Ativan or Thorazine being used. I guess they may use the Ativan for a sedative affect but Thorazine? My understanding is that it's a neuroleptic- an anti-psychotic drug. But, I guess if it brought you relief- what the heck !! My doctor prescribed heavy narcotics and compazine suppostitories for me so I don't have to make that ER trip and I usually have to find a very dark, quiet space and wait it out.

If you can catch the migraine in enough time that it doesn't become full-blown, THC may help you. After that it may not do much and could have you concentrating more on the pain you are experiencing.

My 145 cents. Good luck with it and (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) for all those who suffer from these extremely painful headaches.

XW

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    Instead of smoking it try making a tea.

Does this give you the same high as smoking it?

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Eating/drinking it means it enters the bloodstream much more slowly. It can take an hour to be high. How much? That depends on all sorts of things. How strong is it? How much do you want? I recall once saying to a pal of mine that we should get well stoned and head for the pub. I think I crumbled about a sixteenth each onto cheese on toast!

About an hour later in the pub WE were toast!

El blanco, "Are You Experienced?" I think so...

• stephoness
    stephoness

Ingesting marijuana actually will give you a more intense high than smoking it.

I suggest if you want to ingest marijuana that you make marijuana butter on a low heat melt butter in a pan and add your marijuana. let it simmer on a very low heat until the butter changes color, for several minutes. Strain the butter to remove the leaves, seeds, and stems. Use the butter to make any type of food (brownies) just be careful not to cook the butter on too high of a heat because it kills the THC (active ingredient). Here are a few recipes:

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=11673

http://jamaican-green.8m.com/Recipies/marijuanabutter.htm

http://www.truthtree.com/marijuana_recipes.shtml

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You can also try a vaporizer... they are a bit expensive and begin around $90 (www.AromaZap.com). It works by heating the pot so that the THC evaporates... allowing you to inhale it. It does not get hot enough to burn, so there is no smoke or carcinogens.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

When I use to smoke it helped with my mild headaches all the time. Even when I just smoked a little it slightly took away my headache. I guess it opens up the blood stream in all your body, including your brain, and it helps the blood flow through your brain easier. However, since it is illegal I'll tell you to watch out for it.

I suggest you try this as a last resort though, not always the best thing to break the law but your choice.

And when you drink it or eat it, it feels more like a body high than just a mental one you'll get from smoking it regularly. Should try it, gotta wait a while. I had to wait a good 2 and a half hours before I felt anything. Good luck.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

THC does not get into water and the body cannot absorb it. That is why some use large amounts to make a tea. You need some fat like butter (not margerine) or oil. Heat the weed in the butter/oil so that the THC can combine with the fat. (THC is an etheric oil (sp?) and would go away if heated too hot.) Then put the combination into water and let it rest. After 15minutes you can drink it.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think the only people who eat pot instead of smoking it are those that grow there own. You have to eat a lot more to get high than if you smoked. I would say a good "brownie" made from pot should have about 1/8 to 1/4 oz. You will get pretty high if you cook it right(butter).

Smoking pot,,I wouldn't worry about harming your lungs,,because you only take a few good size puffs to get high.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit