Birthdays..... Now A Conscience Matter

by Latte 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
  • ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Hey Latte. Last year I took my nephew with me to a barbeque where there was a pinata. (I just love pinatas by the way) Later he told my mom. She laid in to me about letting him hit it. About a month later I saw this article posted on teh forum, so when I was over at their house I nonchalantly picked up the magazine and began "reading" it and just "happened" upon teh article and showed it to her. How ridiculous, if I would have singled my nephew out NOT to join, made him feel bad, and me feel bad, only to have the Society change their view a month later.

Bleck

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I hope my previous scan posted up ok. ... As I read it the key part is the sentence"For example, the bible definately puts birthday celebrations in a bad light"

I agree it is worded a little ambiguously but I do not think it was intended to be a change, otherwise why put it in the Awake?

I expect to see a contrived reason to slip a reference to the wrongness of birthdays pretty soon, to clear the point up? (By the way , I wonder who "SW " is? sounds like a loaded question)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    the Bible definitely puts birthday celebrations in a bad light

My impression of the statement is that BDays are still NOT to be observed

• 4JWY
    4JWY

I read it as stating that, yes, it is a conscience matter now. They don't have the b***s to come right out and say it yet in the WA, but they bury it in the AW, probably thinking not many will even read clear to page 30 to see it. I would say a barrage of letters from "readers" for clarification will merit the topic more consideration. Will be interesting........

Haven't I even heard that some have been DF'd for celebrating a birthday, and/or even sending a card??

If it IS a conscience matter, it will just be another means for some to put themselves on high over others who decide to celebrate. Kind of wierd to even think about actually in that context.

• Latte
    Latte

Elsewhere,

My impression of the statement is that BDays are still NOT to be observed

Just read it again...then again....and each time you will get something different from it. It will not be having the correct effect on you if you don't feel confused after meditating on it....

• Puternut
    Puternut

Puternut,

Was this the article???..?

Latte,

That's the one.

The Pinata

An Ancient Tradition

By Awake! Writer in Mexico

The pinata today (p.23)

???the pinata became part of the festivities of the posados* during the Christmas season and continues as such to this day. (A star shaped pinata is used to represent the star that guided the astrologers to Bethlehem.) Breaking the pinata is also considered indispensable at birthday parties.

(p.24)

When considering whether to include a pinata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the conscience of others. (1Cor 10:31-33)

A main concern is, not what it meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area . Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues.

Puternut

• stichione
    stichione

?Awake!? responds: Christians refrain from any celebrations or customs that continue to involve false religious beliefs or activities that violate Bible principles. Foe example, the Bible definitely puts birthdays celebrations in a bad light.

It appears to me the Watchtower is not permitting birthday celebrations.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: It will not be having the correct effect on you if you don't feel confused after meditating on it....

God may not be a God of confusion, but the WT religion certainly is and as you stated, that is exactly what they want. This "new light" is nearly identical to their latest "light" on voting. "Voting is a conscience matter, but if you have the right conscience you won't do it."

This deception is very useful to the WTS. They can say to outsiders, "we don't forbid the celebrating of birthdays or voting," yet they make it clear to their dupes that to do either of those shows that members somehow don't have the "right" conscience. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they use the same tactic on blood transfusions next.

Farkel

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Bible definitely puts nude bathing in bad light as well but Witnesses I know have no problem with this practice. The Witnesses have pagaphobia, that is an irrational fear of fun things having origins in ancient rituals originating from superstition and tradition.

If it's fun, if there is a chance group members will do something with their money other than send it in to Bethel, and if it brings families together, you can bet headquarters will be against it. It's predictable and has NOTHING to do with morals or worship. It has everything to do with control, isolation, exclusivity, and paranoia.

For anybody who wants to understand how cults work in one quick little read, I recommend the book, When Prophesies Fail. It's all laid out there and it's a fascinating read.

Happy Birthday everybody:-) GaryB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit