Birthdays..... Now A Conscience Matter

by Latte 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I'm with Eman on this. It reads as a "Yes, you can" and "No, you can't" to me.

Agreed. I'm sure you won't see tons of JWs starting to celebrate birthdays and holidays.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom.

What customs? As usual the WT doesn't specify, and how are the R&F to know? Their local elders can interpret it whatever way they wish.

Again I ask, What customs?

• exjdub
    exjdub
    I'm with Eman on this. It reads as a "Yes, you can" and "No, you can't" to me.

I agree Ozzie...It sounds like typical CYOA Watchtower writing. You have to read in between the lines to see that it still is taboo. What a bunch of weisels.

exjdub

• Latte
    Latte

exjdub,

LOL For the average JW this 'clarification' will surfice nicely. They will fully understand that maybe they can, maybe they can't, and they won't! It's kinda funny yet so sad...for the kids... who do they suffering.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Latte,

Very interesting! This is very similar to the article I highlighted here http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/16572/1.ashx

about pagan decorations. Basically they said in that article that if the decoration had no pagan significance in the place you live then its OK. Since Christmas trees are not viewed as pagan where I live then I think they're saying its OK.

Actually it was a point I made in a letter to the society....maybe their q's from readers here is because people are questioning why they can't have birthdays but they can have wedding rings and other pagan symbols.

Sirona

• undercover
    undercover
    Christians refrain from any celebrations or customs that continue to involve false religious beliefs or activities that violate Bible principles.

Starts off plain enough and makes sense.

For example, the Bible definitely puts birthdays celebrations in a bad light. (Genesis 40:2; Matthew 14: 6 - 10)

Here's the part meant for the R&F. Birthdays=bad.

However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom.

Here's the CYA part. To the non-JW or casual reader, you can read into it that no firm rule is made, it's up to each person. To the JW though, they don't see that part, they have been indoctrinated for so long that Birthdays are wrong, that all they see is the middle part, Birthdays=bad.

When non-JWs try to paint the WTS as dictorial when it comes to practices or beliefs without firm Biblical backing, the WTS can point to this and say, "We don't enforce people to not celebrate. We maintain that it is up to each person's conscience" and they will point to articles like this one.

This article will give the free-thinking, on-the-fringe JWs some wiggle room, but to the die-hards, they'll keep right on believing that Birthdays are banned by the WTS.

• exjdub
    exjdub

Great breakdown Undercover. I think that you hit the nail right on the head.

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel

When I gave birth to my son in 2001 it was the happiest day of my life. When his one year anniversary was approaching me and my husband were really struggling with the "way we were groomed for the truth" to how we really felt.

I started to do mega research and found nothing in the "BIBLE" that indicated that birthdays were wrong. Everything I was reading from the "Reasoning" book showed that this was the Society's interpretation. That is, 2 birthdays were shown in the bible and unfavorable circumstances occurred on those occasions. But actually on one occasion, one prisoner was executed while the other was released. Does this mean that something favorable happened as well?

The next argument was that the day of ones death was of more significance than the day of ones birth. -- Well, maybe in God's eyes, but in my eyes the day of ones birth means more to me and the day of ones death is the worst. I am not God.

The other argument was that the Jews did not celebrate birthdays. But you know what?...we are not bound to Jewish law or tradition either. Plus, most of the common people of that time period could not afford birthday celebrations.

After my research, me and my hubby both agreed that we would have a celebration for him. We kept it private though for fear of persecution from our brothers and sisters. Which also meant that my little guy had no friends to share in his fun day. The next year we had another very discreet celebration. This year we are going to go all out.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Crooked,

For my daughter's first birthday, we were freshly df'd and still thinking we might go back but we did want to celebrate her first year of life. So her cake just said "Teryn" on it and it had icing balloons. It was a yummy cake and we did not light a candle. We went to my niece's house with her mom and step-dad who knew of course, this was all new to us.

Second birthday: Just a couple that was friends with us came over and we did have cake with candles and presents.

Third birthday: Huge party at an amusement park, cake, candles, presents, singing and tons of fun!!!!!!!!! (Tons of money, too, but oh man she had fun)

• Latte
    Latte

Undercover,

Why couldn?t I of said it like that... very well put!

When non-JWs try to paint the WTS as dictorial when it comes to practices or beliefs without firm Biblical backing, the WTS can point to this and say, "We don't enforce people to not celebrate. We maintain that it is up to each person's conscience" and they will point to articles like this one.

This article will give the free-thinking, on-the-fringe JWs some wiggle room, but to the die-hards, they'll keep right on believing that Birthdays are banned by the WTS.

Crooked Lumpy Vessel,

Welcome to the board!

Having children made me and my hubby start to question things also?.guess we loved our kids more than the old MEN at Crooklyn?eh?

When I gave birth to my son in 2001 it was the happiest day of my life .

Exactly!

This year we are going to go all out.

Good for you!

We had enough courage to hang a banner outside our house this year......birthdays are wonderful!

Great comments everyone??thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit