Birthdays..... Now A Conscience Matter

by Latte 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Latte
    Latte

From Our Readers (Awake! July 8 2004)

Piñatas I read with interest the article ?The Piñata - An Ancient tradition? (September 22, 2003) I t left me with some questions. The ties to false religion are well-documented. But the article seemed to take the position that as long as it doesn?t bother someone?s conscience, it is OK. What about birthdays and holidays such as Christmas? SW., USA

?Awake!? responds: Christians refrain from any celebrations or customs that continue to involve false religious beliefs or activities that violate Bible principles. Foe example, the Bible definitely puts birthdays celebrations in a bad light. (Genesis 40:2; Matthew 14: 6 - 10) However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom.

Above is the societies response to what probably was copious queries regarding the article on the following thread I started http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/61011/1.ashx<

What do you think?

I still think that birthdays should now be given a clear GREEN light.

(italics mine)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

You'd be surprised at how many of us inside do our own private birthday celebrations!

DY

• Englishman
    Englishman

However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom

Latte,

"Current" means at present, surely?

It seems ambiguous to me, almost as though they are inserting an optional get-out clause. They could well be going the other way. Maybe the marriage anniversary, accepted for a long while now, is going to be shown to come from some pagan rite?

Or could they mean that even if something, such as Xmas or birthdays, was pagan, it's irrelevant now?

Weird..

Englishman.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Congratulations, Latte, for shaking the WT's tail! It feels good, doesn't it?

even if it was pagan, it's irrelevant now

Oh, wouldn't this be lovely new light? JW's get themselves so twisted over these minor matters, alienating themselves from family and co-workers.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I find that so surprising... all those years it was so taboo...

all those birthdays missed because it was wrong

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I'm with Eman on this. It reads as a "Yes, you can" and "No, you can't" to me.

Typical Borgese i.e. ambiguity.

Ozzie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Not to break down your enthusiasm, but I guess the writer rather thought it this way:

?Awake!? responds: Christians refrain from any celebrations or customs that continue to involve false religious beliefs or activities that violate Bible principles. Foe example, the Bible definitely puts birthdays celebrations in a bad light. (Genesis 40:2; Matthew 14: 6 - 10) However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom.

IOW, the WT decided birthdays "definitely" violate Bible principles(TM), so it's not supposed to be a consciential issue. However, it's so poorly written that it is due to raise some questions within the R&F.

A few years ago, I was working for the French Bible Society (an ecumenical religious corporation). A temporary employee was recruited for about 6 months. She never showed up at the staff's birthday parties. What I imagined proved to be true: she was a JW in good standing, yet working in the midst of "Babylon the Great", with a Reformed pastor as her boss (an even an apostate in the staff!)... She apparently didn't see the problem, yet she was quite "clean" about birthday parties!

• Emma
    Emma

So how about we all send our family that are still "in" birthday greetings and gifts? Or we could make birthday donations in their names...

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    the Bible definitely puts birthdays celebrations in a bad light. (Genesis 40:2; Matthew 14: 6 - 10) However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom.

I can't see that the events that occurred at the scriptures cited above had any religious significance. They're not "current" either. Yes, the Watchtower is very good at giving non-answers.

Walter

• Latte
    Latte
    For example, the Bible definitely puts birthdays celebrations in a bad light.

Yes, but surely it wasn?t ALL birthdays which were ?put in a bad light? just the ones mentioned. Where is it in the bible where it mentions ALL birthdays????

However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance

It?s very obvious to me that birthdays here have no religious significance?..just an acknowledgement of the day your wonderful child entered the world! (no heads have been lost recently anyhow )

I really think it?s time that the borg. Made this crystal clear?..YES OR NO??????

I have recently found out that there is a child in my son class who is a JW, he is clearly telling the other kids that he can?t attend their birthdays as he is a dub?my heart goes out to him. I remember being that child telling other kids the very same, not knowing fully why, wanting very much to share in the fun.

So if you bethelites are reading,please give it up! and let the kids feel a bit ?.human.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit