Birthdays..... Now A Conscience Matter

by Latte 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Puternut
    Puternut

There was an article about pinatas about a year and a half ago on this also.(questions from readers?) And those were exactly my thoughts then. What caught my attention then, is the fact that the pinata actually DOES have some pagan origins. But the society then mentioned that they were so far back in history, most people don't celebrate the festivities around the pinata, and so it was a conscience matter for christians.

The inconsistency about pagan origins, and the green light for christians, was totally confusing....... once again.

Puternut

• Swan
    Swan

Is this really true? Did they actually say that in the Awake!? So should I send birthday cards to my family members now? I have a niece whose birthday was this month, one brother whose birthday is at the end of next month, and another brother and a cousin whose birthdays are in July. Presently, I have only sent birthday cards to my father, who was never baptized, but shuns me just the same. Does this open the door of opportunity a crack? This is a significant change, even if it is couched in confusing double-speak.

Tammy

• willyloman
    willyloman
    the Bible definitely puts birthdays celebrations in a bad light. However...

That says it all, right there. They want it both ways, for reasons covered succinctly in undercover's post, above.

• Latte
    Latte

Puternut,

Was this the article???..?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/61011/1.ashx<

The Pinata

An Ancient Tradition

By Awake! Writer in Mexico

The pinata today (p.23)

???the pinata became part of the festivities of the posados* during the Christmas season and continues as such to this day. (A star shaped pinata is used to represent the star that guided the astrologers to Bethlehem.) Breaking the pinata is also considered indispensable at birthday parties.

(p.24)

When considering whether to include a pinata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the conscience of others. (1Cor 10:31-33)

A main concern is, not what it meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area . Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues.

Awake 22/9/03

• Latte
    Latte

Swan,

This is a significant change, even if it is couched in confusing double-speak

That's exactly how I would view it! Shame that it will likely go right over the heads of the majority of JW's

My JW brother gave me the 'talk to the hand sign' when I tried to read the article to him (big sigh)

• Room 215
    Room 215

Once again, a WTBTS statement confuses rather than clarifies. Does anyone see any significance to the fact that the item appears in Awake! rather than in the Watchtower?

• Sassy
    Sassy

If I was still in, it would have been enough for me to justify it being able to celebrate..

it was like when ever they said YOUNG unmarried people.. haing oral and anal sex is still intercourse and thereby wrong.. That only told me if I was married.. then they were ok..

course not all agreed but put in that terminology.. it was enough for me to justify it as ok..

oh and Room215.. I agree..odd that it would be in an Awake.. not a WT

• Latte
    Latte

Room 215,

I really need to check as whether or not it was the Watchtower?or the Awake. On my other post I seem to of put the Watchtower, I will have to check it out.

Does anyone see any significance to the fact that the item appears in Awake! rather than in the Watchtower?

Latte

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

For me it seems they definitely say "no, don't extend this to other things like birthday party or chrismas" while not stating it clearly.

Odd enough ... this clarification comes in an answer to a letter of readers! Who - apart of apostates - puts attention to this?

• Farkel
    Farkel

Even if the WTS flat out said, "Every dub who wishes to celebrate birthdays is free to do so," it would still be many years before it became a standard and accepted practice. Dubs who did jump in and start celebrating would continue to feel somehow "wrong" and guilty for doing it.

My own mother refused to let me get any polio vaccinations years and years after the society lifted its ban on vaccinations. I asked my dad a few years before he died if he would submit to a blood transfusion if the society completely lifted its ban on transfusions. He replied, "never!"

This illustrate just how much mind control the WTS has over its followers.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit