My Gas Guzzlers

by Princess 51 Replies latest social current

• simplesally
    simplesally

I have a Chevy Tahoe. My computer read out says I am getting an average of 15 mpg. It will probably go down further though since I commute about 2 miles to work. A whole 4 minutes away.

• Realist
    Realist

simplesally,

15 mpg WOW!!!!

how large is your family that you need this car??????

• Princess
    Princess
    15 mpg WOW!!!!

I know...that's awesome!

Tahoes are nice looking trucks.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    I know...that's awesome!

Ain't it, though? It sure beats the 12 MPG that my 1968 Chevy pickup got when I was in high school! Well ... it got 12 MPG when I drove responnsibly. Otherwise, when I drove like a normal teenage boy, it got about 9 MPG.

• Simon
    Simon

We have a Pug 206 ... diesel

It's fine for us and the kids (plus 2 cats and packing when we go to the inlaws)

It does about 64 mpg (550-600 miles for about a £35 fill-up) and 0-62 in 11.6 seconds.

I'd like a Prius (Hybrid) though ... I wonder if they will do an electric-diesel one?

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: The economy makes quite a difference to the cost of running the car:

At 20,000 miles per year, 60MPG, and fuel at 81p a litre it will cost me £1,227 in fuel (mainly tax ... grrr).

If I was only getting 30MPG I'd be paying £2,454 ... over 5 years this amounts to over £6,000 !! I'm not even going to work out what an SUV would be ...

Do yourself a favour ... get an economical car !

See what your car costs here:

http://www.thisismoney.com/calculators/fuel/fuel_tax2.htm

• Princess
    Princess
    We have a Pug 206 ... diesel

Never heard of it. I was going to ask what diesel costs in the UK. 81p per liter? I don't remember the figures, that is cheaper than gas right?

Diesel is more expensive than gas here. Last time I looked it was over $3 per gallon.

The figures you quoted are impressive. I don't think I want to see the numbers on my own truck thank you.

I really do think it's different overseas where you have narrower roads and almost exclusively small cars. It totally freaks me out to ride in a small car, especially with my kids. You get on a major highway and it just feels like suicide. My friend took me in her Miata to Seattle to shop one day and I swore I'd never ride in that thing again. With Hummers and Expeditions and Excursions flying by at 70mph, I really thought it was over.

If we all drove small cars, then it would be entirely different.

• Sassy
    Sassy

simplesally,

15 mpg WOW!!!!

how large is your family that you need this car??????

Sally just has her and her little princess...

although she has her jetski too.. have to have something to tow it with!

oh and did I mention she has room to give Sassy rides too???

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

What's wrong with the car?

• Special K
    Special K

We have a Dodge Grand Caravan.

Seats us all with one seat to spare.

Bought the Grand.. to get the extra space in the back for groceries etc. and I can get three hockey bags in there piled on top of each other.

Whenever we need to take more "stuff" with us we just put the carrier on the top. Goes on and off very easily.

I think the gas mileage in the city is about 18 mph .. highway up to 20-22 mph (if I'm driving). If my husband drives the miles per gallon drops by a couple.

sincerely

Special K

Gee's I hate backing that van up. I try to park so I don't have to back out. (I just can't see) I can't imagine backing up your suv, princess. I'm just not a good backer-upper. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit