My Gas Guzzlers

by Princess 51 Replies latest social current

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I had another GMC Extended Cab 4x4 before this one, and it was a little better on gas. It had a V-6 with a 5 speed manual transmission. I averaged around 18 MPG, and could get 20 on long highway trips.

Don't get me wrong, folks. It would be nice to spend less on gasoline. But I chose these trucks because of their utility, rather than their fuel economy. I have adequate and comfortable seating for five. I can get through all kinds of road conditions (and off-road conditions). And I have the ability to haul large, heavy items when I need to do so.

Mrs. O drives a Pontiac Bonneville, and it goes farther on a gallon of gas ... we got close to 30 MPG on our last Texas trip. I don't find the Pontiac's seats to be as comfortable as those in my truck. i think it has a lot to do with the inflatable lumbar supports in the truck's seats, and the additional leg room.

• Sassy
    Sassy
    They don't allow them in carpool lanes? Why? That's crazy.

I meant that if you have a hybrid vehicle, you do not have to have another person with you to qualify to be in the carpool lane.. and carpooling because of my sparadic work hours is difficult.. so if I could utilize the carpool lane, I could cut off as much as half an hour from my drive to work (ea way)

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Six, one of my brothers has the Dodge 3500 with the Cummins Diesel/5 speed manual, and he gets more than 20 MPG. I looked at one of those and a GMC HD2500 with the Durmax Diesel/6 speed manual before I bought my current truck ... I just couldn't bring myself to buy a $40,000 pickup. For me, buying a used truck for $12,000 ... jeez, I can burn through a lot of gasoline before I'd make up that $28,000 difference in price.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    For me, buying a used truck for $12,000 ... jeez, I can burn through a lot of gasoline before I'd make up that $28,000 difference in price.

Yep. That's why I'm looking for a 7000.00 work truck now, maybe a diesel with really high miles, and a car to drive around in. The only problem there, financially, is you're paying two insurance payments, so it still may be a wash.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Depends on your driving record & the rates for your area & the type of car you drive. I'm astounded by what some folks pay for auto insurance. Ours is just over $1000 a year for full coverage on both her car and my truck. I know some folks who pay that every six months for just one vehicle. Of course, they have some serious dings on their driving records ... DUIs or lots of moving violations, etc.

• Princess
    Princess

That's awesome Sassy. It just didn't make sense the other way. Great idea for rewarding the hybrid drivers.

Right Jim. HOG. LOL

We looked at the diesel Excursion. It was so unbelievably loud though. I sat in one, idling with the windows up and in was just hammering away. Couldn't do that to my neighbors! The cost upgrade didn't make sense and then the noise on top of that.

Gadget, a Rover? as in Land Rover/Range Rover?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I noticed that some folks are posting photos... but they are saying words like 'a nice car'.

They need to post photos of their car... no matter what it looks like.

This is a 'my gas guzzler' thread... not a 'gee, what I wish I drove' thread.

You know who you are... now post a photo of your car.

*wide grin*

Jim TX

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Why did I just know Princess was going to start a thread like this? LOL

We drive a 2003 Chevy Silverado 4x4 identical to this one, only dark green metallic in colour. Seats 6, which is good for when Ma and Pa come to visit from B.C. Main reason for using this is we are severe campers, and I pull a 24 foot travel trailer. we have some pretty big hills, and we we need the truck bed for hauling our 4 mountain bikes, water jugs, water jugs etc. No other vehicle can fit the bill. Gas mileage is 20 city and 26 highway for a U.S. gallon.

I do have a 2 seater that we use for the occasional trip when CJ and I have to get somewhere very fast, but it is a HUGE gas guzzler.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

When I am not driving my Echo to work, this is my HOG....The Pinzgauer I am driving it to Burning Man this year (Burningman.com), where I will meet up with another six or so Pinzgauers....

1972 Pinzgauer

The canvas comes completely off in about 5 minutes, with no tools.
    This unit seats 10 and has a payload capacity of 2200 lbs.
  • cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

What a great service car, Thi Chi! I'll bet you're popular with ALL the pioneer sisters!

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit