Higher Education

by eiu2003 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Here is a link to a resource that may be of interest to anyone who is looking to add to their educational credentials:

http://bain4weeks.com/

Read that as "B.A. in 4 weeks".

Yes, some people have been able to complete the requirement for a Bachelor's degree in four weeks by taking the appropriate "challenge tests" and getting academic credit for passing those tests. The website explains how this works. By the way, you don't have to do the whole enchilada with challenge tests - if there are areas in which you need work, you can combine traditional classroom work with challenge testing and still knock years off of the process.

This can be a helpful tool for someone who is looking to catch up after letting the "wise" men at the the WTS direct their lives for too long.

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

I do feel the odd tinge of regret that I didn't do what I do now earlier.

But I know that I bring with me; to my education, my studies, to my work and to my clients, a wealth of knowledge, life experience and empathy that is unrivaled amongst my co-workers.

We may at times feel that we have been robbed of many things by adhering to those man-made rules but I turn that on it's head and use what I did learn there.....not those endless mind-numbing W/T studies and illustrations that were full of wishfull thinking, neither the TMS rubbish that we had to recite in various formats....or any of the so-called-knowledge that we were supposed to feel privileged that we had....

What I did learn there was valuable to me.

I no longer take anything at face value...I am now a critical thinker.

I don't accept what I am told anymore without further research...I study well.

I don't close my mind to other peoples opinions...I am well balanced.

I was hurt...I feel compassion.

I felt resentment...I know how to love.

I was ashamed...I am proud of my achievments.

I was trapped...Now I am free.

This to me is life after death.

Bay64me

• Valis
    Valis

Amazing..

eui...see you prove it is never too late. And don't take too much offense at what Amazing said...some times even smart people should just keep the mouth shut. Especially when they don't do thier homework. So, what are you getting your master's in?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

eiu2003 wellcome to the board.

You are never to old to learn - and you proved it.

• waiting
    waiting

Off & on through the years, I've taken some night college courses.....and I was raised an Irish Roman Catholic. There could have been some xjw's in those classes.....but I suspect the vast majority were like me - just came from families with not enough money - or familes who didn't put much value on education. My parents just encouraged me not to get pregnant and learn to type so I could get a job.

There's millions of persons in the same boat. Millions more than there are jehovah's witnesses. Yeah, it sucks, but that's life.

As for scholarships not taken? Yeah, had those too (art).....except my dad was there to make damned sure that I didn't take them. So, I didn't. Do I resent that still? Sure, but that's life too.

It's great that any who continue with their education - even just for the sake of learning - have the energy, tenacity, will to do so.

Oh, btw, I wasn't able to send all my kids to college & living on campus. I helped.......but BY FAR, they did it on their own, and have the school loans to prove it. And BY FAR, most of their friends are in the same financial boat. I just marvel at my children's achievements.....and they were raised as jw's. (Thank God we weren't theocratic jw's.)

Congratulations to all who are willing to work towards their own educations.

waiting

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Nope. I read a years worth of Awakes. Ask me anything!

One can have no finer education than this.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Yeah........I have felt a resentment for a long time. Not for myself but for my daughter. She was offered a full scholarship along with other scholarships but did the 'right'??? thing........she turned them down so as to be approved by the rest of the janitorial class.

Forward 15 years...............we both faded out of the borg. She is now 33........living in Florida....manages the entire business for a fabulous interior decorator on Sanibel Island........is with the greatest 'worldly' man ( I think he is great) her ex husband (JW) was a complete a..h... .......lives in a beautiful house .......and is now a full time college student at the University of Phoenix Online. And I am more than happy and proud to help finance this way too long incoming education.

Once she approaches graduation time...........as long as I have breath in my body.......I will pay for us to go to Phoenix so she can actually wear the cap and gown and get the diploma in person. And if my last breath should come before this time........I have made enough provisions (insurance) so that she can still go.

Bill

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Nathan... I would guess that's not an accredited degree?

• Lawrie Miller
    Lawrie Miller

Yes the degrees are real. All degrees featured in BA in 4 Weeks are conferred by U.S. regionally accredited institutions or the foreign equivalent thereof. Regional accreditation is the gold standard of education institution legitimacy n the United States.

BA in 4 Weeks was written to be a non commercial resource for adult learners (to include some of you, perhaps), though I have this week, for the first time, accepted served advertisements. Many of these are a useful adjunct to the text of BA in 4 Weeks, but a few tout schools with dubious accreditation or no accreditation. I filter these out as best I can but caveat emptor.

Feel free to visit. Read the graduate profiles. Visit "Lawrie's Q&A" if you have questions not answered in the text. I wont try to sell you anything. There is no product - except the served ads, and I already feel a need to apologize for them.

Lawrie Miller
    http://bain4weeks.com

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Welcome Lawrie! You have a PM (go to the top of the page, left hand side, and click on the bar that says "X new messages" under your name.

Euph - it almost seems too good to be true, doesn't it? But check the site...

I suppose it is not unreasonable that some would leap to the conclusion that a BA obtained in 4 weeks by testing out could not possibly be "legit," because this is a relatively new thing. Lawrie explains the process pretty thoroughly on the website.

Obviously, this is not intended for most recently graduated 18 year old HS students. The majority of them simply do not have the experience upon which to draw to pass the tests. Some do though, and more power to them!

The tests are the same tests that a person in college might take at the end of the semester. If you can pass those tests "cold," why shouldn't you get the academic credit for the class? The credit is based on knowledge, not time spent polishing a chair with you bottom.

...and just as attending class isn't free, neither is testing out. You still have to register at the school who will be confering the degree, and you have to pay for the tests.

This is not a "diploma mill" method.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit