Higher Education

by eiu2003 39 Replies latest jw friends

• eiu2003
    eiu2003

Well, let's try posting a topic. One of the things i felt i missed out on while i was a witness, other than wild sex when young is Higher Education. I quit HS to Pioneer and now have just recently finished a college degree and am still working on my Masters, But i find myself resenting that i have had to do this all at night and while in my forties. I felt as a JW i was discouraged from Higher Education. Does anyone esle feel this resentment?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

In spades, dude, in spades.

• Odrade
    Odrade

yup. same boat. parttime school, while working... fortunately I'm not trying to raise a family too. I was cheated out of an education, and they made me feel like it was my choice. Sick.

O

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Does anyone esle feel this resentment?

Nope. I read a years worth of Awakes. Ask me anything!

• codeblue
    codeblue

yes....because I had to give up scholarships to be "approved by the congregation"...

They sure could have come in handy when my husband left me and I had a child to support.

I was upset when I read COC, where they actually sent Bethelites to college, during the 70's when we publishers weren't allowed to go.

Double standards are so hypocritical.

CodeBlue

• rekless
    rekless

well scrach your mad spot and get glad, I'm 58 boo hoo hoo. Just remember Hell is the truth seen too late.

• talesin
    talesin

I do, but don't want to be bitter all my life, so I am working on my education, too, to make money doing what I love. After all, the best revenge is living well!

talesin

• Sassy
    Sassy

You are going to find a lot of people feeling you on this subject! It is great that you took the time now and got your degree! They say it is never too late.. It doesn't make up for everyting but .. it is something!

• trumangirl
    trumangirl

I'm in exactly the same boat! - 35 years old, a family, work nearly full-time and studying.

Doesn't it feel good to learn stuff that's actually NEW that you haven't learnt before! and not feel guilty about doing it!

I just got a mark back from my last assignment - A Minus - that's a little show-offy I know but couldn't resist.

• PeaNUT
    PeaNUT

Yes, resentment is an understatement - even though I went against the grain and went to college anyway. This was about 10 years ago. I was treated like a complete pariah for doing so. I completed my MBA last year. While I was in grad school I attended a Sunday meeting to hear my brother give the public talk (a familial courtesy). During the WT study I couldn't help but notice that the reader was fairly illiterate. One of the paragraphs he read made reference to Sikhism and Taoism which he pronounced SILK-ism and Tay-O-ism. It became even funnier when people answered the questions and repeated his mispronounciations. But the capper was when the WT conductor, a person on parole for homicide (however, I do have to say, he's a teddy bear now), made reference to the fact that he noticed that the more educated people became the more arrogant they were. Hmmm, new math equation X education = Y arrogance. Whatever. After the meeting I approached him and explained that I was finishing my Masters degree and was wondering what kind of person that made me. He became VERY quiet and red faced. I guess the organization can add educated individuals to the long list of people against whom it discriminates.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit