Higher Education

by eiu2003 39 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

HappyDad

I just gotta say, good for you! WIsh my dad understood as you do. I actually wanted to go back in my 20s, and they wouldn't let me live at home unless I came back to the KH. Same now, but THIS time I will make it. It would be nice to have the same scholarship opportunities now that I had then ...

talesin

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Sorry Eiu,

Didn't mean to hurt any feelings ... I just gound it hard to believe that someone who just completed a degree would turn around and write so "informally" ... something did not seem right to me ... I was not trying to be mean, but I was testing the situation. Anyway, you have not responded ... but many have come to your defence, so I guess that is good enough. Also, I wondered if you were engaged in some sort of parody humor by writing so sloppy ... to amke your point ... so, I thought my comments would be taken in the same type of humor.

Again, my apology.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Welcome EIU:)

Isn't it nice to just be able to write and NOT have to worry about style, lol.

Yeppers, I am furious that I let myself be talked out of higher education! It was a goal of mine when I was very young. My mother took me to one of her classes when I was 8 years old, and I was hooked.

I was a married teen mom (planned-and I have no idea what I was thinking, lol) who returned to school after my daughter was born and got excellent grades. My guidance counselor was rooting for me all the way, and told me that I would have a full scholarship if I wanted to go to college. I TURNED IT DOWN!!! I turned it down because I'd found "the truth," and the end was coming very soon, and my most important job was to preach the good news and bring my child up to be a good servant of Jehovah, lada lada lada.

So now I'm applying for loans and scraping up whatever cash I can to earn a degree. I also arranged to have my sons attend class with me (my instructors thought that was an awesome family tradition), and they have the college bug now, too. You can bet I'll be the most supportive parent there is when it comes to them getting a higher education. That's one of the reasons why I am so anxious to get a degree. I want to help them pay for college.

• eiu2003
    eiu2003

I appreciate everyone's responses. I was not informed that an APA or MLA grammar stlye in posting a topic or response was a requirement. My thought process in posting this topic was to see if others felt that failing to pursue a degree had affected theirs lives in a negative aspect. Finishing my degree provided a sense accomplishment. It also gave closure to a part of life I personally felt was empty because I was taught that such a pursuit was improper.

Valis, my Masters Degree will be a Masters of Science in Computer Technology.

Amazing, apology accepted and for your information i graduate Summa Cum Laude.

• Valis
    Valis
    I appreciate everyone's responses. I was not informed that an APA or MLA grammar stlye in posting a topic or response was a requirement.

Glad to have you here and no none of that is necessary. No one posts correctly all the time. Sometimes you will see trolls come in and just post crap all spelled incorectly and full of too much sass just to get a reaction, but we're laid back here. Also, if you do make a mistake, and you don't know by now, move your sursor over the topic of your post...you will see a drop down box and you should have edit as an option. Just in case you make mistakes you feel need correcting.

Cool to see you going for your masters!... check this site for scholarship opportunities..

http://www.fastweb.com

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• eiu2003
    eiu2003

bttt

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Eiu,

Thanks for your response.

I was not informed that an APA or MLA grammar stlye in posting a topic or response was a requirement.

I don't know who told you that, certainly I made no such suggestion. (currently, my professors require the APA format). Rather, I was having fun ... but evdiently emoticons, and even stating I was having fun were not read by most people ... so the humor was lost. I will be sure to go back to "serious" mode to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy. - Jim W.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Lawrie... I apologize for jumping to conclusions!

If anyone can legitimately pass exams for 120 credits in 4 weeks, they certainly deserve a BA! And there are self-educated people on this site who would undoubtedly be able to do that.

• talesin
    talesin

Amazing

I grew up in a very sarcastic family. It is hard to determine the nuances behind this type of humour, and it often comes across as a not-so-subtle putdown. I had to learn the hard way, not to use it. Sometimes, I still slip up and a sarky comment comes out of me. I usually regret it. IMHO, it is hurtful to tease people in this fashion, even if we are only joking.

It appears that I misread your intent. I do apologize if that is so.

tal

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Waiting ...nope that was just rude.

Both Thunder and I are going for our degree, I am almost finished with my Associates and he is doing Biomedical informatics. I will be going on for my BA and maybe more ..... Both of us are writers but I DO NOT give a rats patoooty if my posts are grammatically correct. I do try to be articulate and spell correctly but when it comes down to it I don't care, I spend enough time in the real world being articulate and precise....so you all get the fodder LOL As far as resentment I did that but now I am embrassing my education, I have been published, I have read for the Board of Trustees at the college and at a Writers seminar and downtown. We will be doing reading here in KC and Chicago. I am a historian with Phi Theta Kappa which is the honor society. Do I wish I was younger and doing this....nah I wouldn't have grown children telling me how proud they are of me...that in itself ROCKS

ooops didn't realize I had logged in under Thunder this is me Sheila M

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit