Is The WTBS Really Crumbling?

by exjdub 57 Replies latest jw friends

• SuperMommy
    SuperMommy

I really do feel that the WTBS will end. People in the organization are able to find out so much information now that the internet is here. Of course, this may take some time. People who have been in for a long time may not get out...but will probably not find many newbies.

• exjdub
    exjdub

I appreciate all of the feedback. When I read posts of people from all around the world, it does seem as though things are crumbling, but the WTBS is masterful at the art of deception and putting a veil in front of the rank and file's eyes. The WTBS seems to be prospering monetarily, although I do wonder about how much money they lose through lawsuits.

OhioCowboy: You make a good point. How successful can an organization be that boasts only 6 million people?

It would be funny if the "Time Of The End" was a self fulfilling prophecy culminating with the demise of the WTBS during the 1914 "generation" time period. At least they could get one prophecy right if it came to pass!

exjdub

• jgnat
    jgnat

From my point of view, the WTS is no longer an upstart, fringe organization, but has become part of the "old guard". Leadership is highly centralized and static. Growth will slow, new memberships will stall, as the organization is unable to adapt. Early in it's history, the Bible Students used the most modern methods possible to spread the "good news", including recordings and slide shows. There has been no such innovation in the last 50 years. The WTBTS will become an anachronistic religion in the developed world. An oddity, but not seriously considered by most folks. Like the Amish.

There is one growth area that makes me nervous. In Africa and other disturbed areas of the world, the Catholic church still holds sway, chaos or death are knocking and the door, and it really does seem that the end of the world is coming. They do not have easy access to the internet to fully investigate WT claims. These places are fertile fields for the WT message.

This could put unprecedented strain on the organization, as membership and power shifts away from the developed world. Is it possible that the Jehovah's Witnesses of the third world may eventually sever from the mother organization (when they realize how far "Mother" has corrupted herself?).

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Is it crumbling? Yes.....and No.

Yes, it's true that the young people are leaving and yes, it's true that the older, experienced members are slowing down or leaving (hence the latest WT article imploring the R&F to liven themselves up) but..........

I can't see the borg crumbling out of existence. It'll be with us just as long as God allows it, I guess. It's such a large organisation that in many ways it's become impregnable.

So, don't hold your breath waiting for a world without the Borg. Instead, make yourself a life without the Borg. That'd be much better anyway!

Cheers, Ozzie

• gumby
    gumby
    There have been posts and topics about the WTBS imploding and feuding factions in Bethel etc. Some have said that the end is near for the WTBS.

I haven't heard anything about this. What feuding and factions at bethel?

Even if there was.....1980 was a brawl at Bethel also with many leaving, but it didn't hurt them any.

What I always think of in this matter is the Catholic Church. How long have THEY stood inspite being uncovered of their scandlous behavior? They have a bloodstained history for all to read about, they doctrinally botch the bible, and they still prosper and flourish.

There will ALWAYS be suckers in the world.

Gumby

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

The WT is not crumbling. Really. Almost no witnesses even know about 587/607/1914 --- UN / NGO --- or even care about "new light" covering over false teachings.

IF the numbers stagnate the only thing that will be concluded from that is that the end is nearer and those 6 million still in will harden themselves even more.

IMHO

• exjdub
    exjdub

Gumby,

It was recently mentioned in a thread that the Service Department and Writing Department were at odds (if I remember the thread correctly).

• richard
    richard

A lot would depend on the question if China would open its doors to the Society in the near future. There's a huge potential membership to be found there.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**Even if there was.....1980 was a brawl at Bethel also with many leaving, but it didn't hurt them any.

Hi Gumby!

Up to a point you are right-but the:

Change in baptism vows changed in 1895,

The "Donation arrangement was implemented (and lied about) since then,

The WTS-UN fiasco has been exposed since then,

The Pedophile situation has been brought to the public's notice since then,

The many lawsuits against the WTS that focus on the mistreatment and mishandling of JWs has been shown to the public since then,

Some of the core doctrines have been changed since then--despite their weasel-words and lame excuses for their conduct,

More exJWs have been shunned by their families and friends because of the WTS since then AND have become more vocal about this than before,..........and I probably have forgotten to mention a few as well.

The dynamics of Organizational workings and exposure of the WTS has been terribly damaged and justly so. Their credibility and important squeaky-clean image are gone.

In these times where people are demanding and expecting MORE honesty from the ones who they have been placing their trust in---both in poltics and religion..........the WTS hasn't an honest leg to stand on, have they?

Just my 2cents

hugs,

Annie

• Quotes
    Quotes

jgnat said:
    ===================
    There is one growth area that makes me nervous. In Africa and other disturbed areas of the world, the Catholic church still holds sway, chaos or death are knocking and the door, and it really does seem that the end of the world is coming. They do not have easy access to the internet to fully investigate WT claims. These places are fertile fields for the WT message.
    ===================

I agree. I read once how WT/JWs grow rapidly in areas where AIDS is growing rapidly: Africa. The interesting point is that the cause of the problem (both AIDS and JWs), and the solution, are the same: lack of education and lack of knowledge about the need for protection.

But like AIDS, the scourge of WT/JWs will eventually collapse (I know AIDS hasn't collapsed yet, but with continuing education I believe it will).

However, if/when WT collapses, there will be one thing left standing: the legal department. Similar to the computer software company SCO, WT will be reduced to a team of lawyers fighting a losing battle for existence, making outrageous claims and filing nuisance lawsuits against it's chosen enemy-du-jour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit