First gay couples wed in US state

by ignored_one 96 Replies latest social current

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    I'm against redefining marriage because if we do...where is the limit to this redefinition?

I personally am for it! I think it's great that people who pay taxes, obey the laws, and love each other can finally be recongnized Legally by our government. I'm the last person to ever want to stand between people in love (no pun in tended)

But Yeru, you do make a very valid point. (Although I doubt I'll be able to marry a couch anytime soon.)I dont think it's right for state laws to over-step federal laws such was the San Francisco case. Then why stop at marriage laws, why not change other laws on a whim. I DO think people of the same sex should be recognized legally. Just think the appropriate steps of reform need to be taken

chevy of the 'college must've bred me in to one of those damn liberalist' class

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"ThiChi, why whine about not getting tolerance?

You don't give any, do you?"

Nice try. I have not discouraged anyone from posting their viewpoint, nor belittling posters intentions. I stand by my viewpoints and convictions regarding this matter.

Keeping the Faith,

Thi

• scotsman
    scotsman

Thi Chi,

Whatever happened to your old avatar. It was such an appropriate choice.

• rem
    rem

>>I dont think it's right for state laws to over-step federal laws such was the San Francisco case.

This is not what happened in my beautiful city. :)

The California State Constitution bans discrimination based on sexual orientation. The SF Mayor decided that issuing marriage licenses *only* to heterosexual couples was discriminatory and unconstitutional (California Constitution - not Federal).

There is no Federal statute (yet) that says it is illegal for States to allow gay marriage. Even if there were, it would be unconstitutional, which is why some are pushing for an ammendment.

rem

• crownboy
    crownboy

Well, I think this is a great thing. Much like the people during the civil rights era who had nebulous "societal concerns" and "states rights" objections that was mearly cover for their own racial bigotry, all these slippery slope arguments seem to coincidentally come from people who have strong religious views against homosexuality to begin with. I wonder if there's a connection ?

The California State Constitution bans discrimination based on sexual orientation

But didn't Califonia citizens overwhelmingly vote to define marriage as an institution only between a man a woman, rem? Or does that resolution not carry the same weight as the explicit non discrimination declaration in the Constitution?

logansrun, I'll have to disagree with you on the point of a Christain having to be against homosexuality. Since when has a fundamentalist interpretation of the bible been an absolute requirement for accepting it, except by those who happen to be fundamentalist themselves? If a person believes that there's some kind of nebulous spirituality to be found in the bible, or they feel that broad principles and not super literal stories are to be found in the book, what is intrinsically wrong with that? Liberal interpretations of the bible have always been found in the history of Christainity, but obviously more fundamentalist interpretations have been more dominant in its history. But even fundamentalist interpretations are just that; interpretations. They may be justifiable interpretations, but so are the liberal ones. (Hell, the only real problem I have is when the liberal interpretors try to play as if a conservative and backward interpretation of a religion is not possible. So when some western Muslim apologist tries to pass off Islam as some super-feminist religion, I'm not necessarily apt to ridicule that assessment, but I mearly object to them saying that a female repressive interpretation of Islamic text is all wrong, when clearly such an interpretation of Islamic text is quite legitimate, if not more legitimate that the pro-feminist one. More useful would be to promote the seperation of mosque and state and make societial decisions on more clear headed secular ideals than on the whim of religious interpretation).

I myself happen to share your view on the bible being purely man made with no more value than the next man made religious book, but I just see no reason to delegitimize liberal christainity as inferior to the conservative form.

• rem
    rem

Crownboy,

>>But didn't Califonia citizens overwhelmingly vote to define marriage as an institution only between a man a woman, rem? Or does that resolution not carry the same weight as the explicit non discrimination declaration in the Constitution?

Right, the California citizens voted to enact the marriage definition law, but it is being argued that that enacted law is unconstitutional because of the anti-discrimination language in the CA Constitution. I believe the State constitution always trumps laws from both the legislature and propositions enacted by the voters.

It's in the court's hands now, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully the rights of the minority will be protected from the views of the majority in this case. That's what having a Constitution is all about, right? :)

rem

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""Thi Chi,

Whatever happened to your old avatar. It was such an appropriate choice.""

lol, St. Michael casting Satan down into the bowels Hell is not good enough for you?

"Non Nobis Domine Non Nobis"

• scotsman
    scotsman

No, you're far too human!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Sooo true....aren't we all?

• scotsman
    scotsman

Some are more than others.

Share this

Google+