First gay couples wed in US state

by ignored_one 96 Replies latest social current

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3719905.stm

BBC NEWS First gay couples wed in US state Two lesbians were among the first same-sex couples to wed under a new law in the US state of Massachusetts.

In the coming days, hundreds of couples are set to follow the example of Marcia Kadish and Tanya McCloskey of Malden, who have been together for 18 years.

The issue has divided opinion and politicians across the US.

President George W Bush repeated his call to Congress to amend the US Constitution defining marriage "as a union of a man and a woman".

"The sacred institution of marriage should not be redefined by a few activist judges," Mr Bush said.

On Friday, the US Supreme Court rejected a last-ditch attempt by conservative groups to stop same-sex marriages from becoming legal in the state.

It was really important to us to just be married
    Tanya McCloskey There were jubilant scenes in the city of Cambridge, which began issuing licences to gay and lesbian couples from midnight (0400GMT on Monday).

Gay and lesbian couples queued for marriage licences outside the city hall - which opened as the law came into force.

Newly-wed Tanya McCloskey said: "It was really important to us to just be married... Part of it is, we don't know what the Legislature is going to do."

She and partner Marcia Kadish worked at breakneck pace to fill out paperwork, get a waiver from the usual three-day waiting period, then return to city hall - where they got their marriage licence and exchanged vows.

Political divisions

Other towns and cities across the state were also prepared to wed large numbers of same-sex couples as the law came into force.

The Supreme Court ruling upheld a decision by the state's highest court.

It said that denying marriage licences to same-sex couples violated anti-discrimination laws.

The Massachusetts ruling has fuelled heated debate across the country - and the controversy has been particularly intense in an election year.

In a statement, President Bush said he had called on the Congress "to pass, and to send to the states for ratification, an amendment to our Constitution defining and protecting marriage as a union of a man and a woman as husband and wife".

"The need for that amendment is still urgent, and I repeat that call today."

His rival John Kerry - who is a Massachusetts senator - is also opposed to same-sex marriages, but favours a more limited form of legal recognition.

Thousands of same-sex couples were married in San Francisco earlier this year, but the marriages were not recognized by the state of California.

A mayor in New York state is being prosecuted after performing gay marriages in February.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/3719905.stm

Published: 2004/05/17 18:37:56 GMT

© BBC MMIV

-

Ignored One.

• Valis
    Valis

Good for them!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• jwbot
    jwbot

Thats wonderful news...at least one state is moving in the right direction.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I heard on the radio this morning that Maine officially has legalized gay marrages now.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

<--------- hands Ignored a spoon for the stirring :)

• glitter
    glitter

Fantastic news!

I can't get my head around why people think this is wrong - the "god made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" type arguments against gay marriage don't stand up; not being able to marry hasn't stopped same-sex couples from loving each other and staying together in committed relationships, so what difference does it make if people are allowed to marry now?

• nilfun
    nilfun

Massachusetts...right on.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Being a proponent of Traditional Christianity, I wonder what path, as a Nation, we are really going down...

• jwbot
    jwbot

Yes Sassy, Our Gov. is a good guy :) We are headed in the right direction to. Although I remember a couple years back a referendum for equal rights and no discrimination in employment got turned down...but that was a couple years ago. This are changing.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I think it's a marvelous coincidence (or not) that today is also the 50th anniversary of desegregation. Another long hard road that is not yet fully traveled, but it is a start! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit