First gay couples wed in US state

by ignored_one 96 Replies latest social current

• scotsman
    scotsman

Ross,

My deep, philisophical ponderings are not meant for your entertainment. Yeh, and it hasn't gone unnoticed that you'll travel halfway round the world to see ex-dubs, but you never come and see me. Ken and I had an apostafest-a-trois with my friend H on Wednesday night. If only you had been here...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

B*st*rd!!!
    You never told me!!!

What are you scum doing on Thursday?
    I'm on the way down to catch a plane from Edinburgh, on Friday morning, to get my hide to Dallas.

Meanwhile, it's gorgeous weather up here, and I'm gonna skip off work early to hit the beach
    Have a good weekend, pal.

LT "seriously miffed that he missed a Fest" class!!!
    LOL

• scotsman
    scotsman

It was a last minute affair, sorry.

I'm afraid fate is keeping us apart as i have my final exam of my finals on Friday and Thursday will be spent cramming my head with nonsense. Unless you can answer the question What is Modernism? and can help me revise.

You're off to the beach, I'm off to the library. You're the B'stard!

Have fun in Dallas and remember you are representing all us Scots - hope you're taking some Irn Bru.

s-man

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The real question is "What is Modernism, in a Post-Modern world?"

Maybe I'll get to see you on the way back through, when the finals are over.
    I'm flying back to London, but seeing some friends.
    I should be back in Edinburgh on Sunday 6th.

Alternatively, there's the whole Summer ahead

• scotsman
    scotsman

The realer question is ' why do i like studying this wanky nonsense?'

No plans for Sun 6th so call me.

s-man ( who hopes the sun burns Ross' fair ass)

• dubla
    dubla

abaddon-

thats fair enough.....thanks for the clarification, i appreciate it.

aa

• Perry
    Perry

Abaddon,

You make some fair points although you really narrow the application of your reasoning to only gay marriage; and it is in that sense that your reasoning becomes irrelevant to the larger destiny of marriage and family itself.

The bombshell paper Thi Chi posted eariler on this thread was all about "After Gay Marriage" and its eventual dissolution by major law scientists. This falls right in line with the overall philosophy I experienced in University studying marriage and family some 7 or 8 years ago.

That basic reasoning is founded upon the premise that major caretakers and a few moden family structures no longer need to be limited to parents and children but can and should include any number of relationships bound by a very loose criteria. My professor agreed that under the criteria she was presenting to us that some crime families or gangs would qualify. Because, they among other things were emotionally interdependant, shared common resources, lived together, and shared duties common to the functioniong of that unit of humans etc. Sounds incredible, but that is what she conceded to upon my questioning.

While some lawmakers may find it necessary to expand definitions of human relationships to accomodate real and actual needs to protect the vurnerable, the net result of the more radical legislative efforts will inevitable take society toward a secular existence.... and to that end gays may end up with no marriage at all if it is dissolved; but still accomplish the goal of emotional stasis in the absence of the ideal of one man and one woman marriage. So, it follows that the very existence of hetero marraige as a societal ideal is the real enemy of all alternate lifestyles. Once, that is gone, marraige will no longer be needed nor desired because it will have lost its "deep symbolism".

Only the lawyers will be left.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit