Take a look at these beautiful winged creatures!

by scootergirl 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Perry
    Perry

Simply beautiful Scootergirl!

Budgies are really neat birds.

• Navigator
    Navigator

Wonderful pictures! We put out food every morning for the birds, but don't get the variety that you do as we live in the city. The doves are getting so tame, they don't even fly when we drive up. We have two cats next door so have to keep an eye out for them. Do you have problems with the squirrels getting in your feeders? They are clever little rascals and very ingenious at getting into whatever they want.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Being here in Southern Ontario, I can totally relate and identify the North American bird species you photographed here for our viewing enjoyment.

Englishman: the birds may be similar (perhaps named due to the fact they may look like European avian species), but are NOT, European. These critters are tough, and can take a cold winter. Temperatures in excess of -20C and below.

Scootergirl. I think you may have had one of my favourite North American birds photographed: Pine Siskens. They are so hilarious. I have walked right up beside them, and they simply hop about and not take notice of me.

Pine Grosbeaks, (Gorbies) are awesome!

Grey Jays: in North America, they are considered sacred to the First Nations' Peoples. They are known as "Whiskey Jacks"; "Canada Jays"; "Camp Robbers". But I love them all. I have fed Grey Jays with jelly sandwiches right from my own hand; black capped-chickadees with bread/honey dipped crackers. Awesome!

Great thread. Awesome.

Where I live: cardinals, mourning doves, robins (north american), blue jays (bullies), grackles, vireos, thrashers, flycatchers, phoebes and a few warblers flutter about my area: I love it.

I love the fawn pictures with your son. Very cute. I have seen deer here in the city (river valleys). Lately, I see plenty of raccoons, skunks, opossums, coyotes, groundhogs, muskrats, beavers and the occasional deer. No bears: thankfully.

Thanks for sharing.

As I send this, I hear a male cardinal singing his heart out. Awesome!

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Navigator, yes, occasionally we do have a problem w/a squirrel or two. But really, they aren't as abundant as they use to be years ago. We have one large black squirrel that comes around ever now and again, and I watch him closely. He hasn't gotten into the feeders yet. He eats the seeds of the deck railings and floor that the birds drop. We have had raccoons on the deck before. Funniest was one day, a large racoon was up on the railing shaking the feeder and then pushing the seeds down for the other raccons on the floor to eat. They were quite the team! They took turns shaking the feeder. That was only one time though. They haven't been back. We have to be careful towards Fall though before the bears go into hibernation because we have had more than one bear come to the deck in search of sunflower seeds and one last year pulled our hummingbird feeder down. Now, I loved seeing them upclose, but I have to admit, it scared the heebegeebies out of me! Last year, the bear that visited stood ~6 feet tall and pressed his nose against the window looking at me. YIKES!

Razor, now which bird is the Pine Sisken? LOL.....I don't even know! It does amaze me how many of these birds, esp., the Black Capped Chickadees can survive our harsh winters. I think that is one of the reasons why they are my favorite. Such little survivalists. It will be 30 below zero here and they will come to the feeders all puffed up, eating to their hearts content AND SINGING! Have you ever seen a footprint of a chickadee in the snow? It is a beautiful thing to see. So dainty.

I haven't seen a Cardinal around here. I would love to see one though! I put out an orange last night and w/in 30 minutes we had four Orieles here! It amazes me how they find the food in such a large area!

Another great thing that I have always enjoyed is when the leaves fall and we go hiking in the woods, finding all the birds nests that were hidden before. I just am in awe of these winged creatures. Truely am. I can sit out on our deck for hours and just watch. Funny, first glance and you don't really see them, but then when you really "look" the woods are alive w/so many of them.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Here you go.

I'm sure you've seen them there in Minnesota. Their Canuck cousins I'm sure have graced your feeder:

http://www.avesphoto.com/website/pictures/SISPIN-1.jpg

The cardinals are probably not too far away, but give me a day there, I'll bet you I could hear one.

They are beautiful birds.

There are literally thousands upon thousands of them here in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

Pine Siskens are gregarious, and are not afraid of humans. They may not want to be picked up, but will eat seed scattered at your feet. They're awesome!

I forgot to mention a bird here called the: Killdeer. Related to plover.

They're another awesome bird. They (parent bird), fake a broken wing to elude a predator to protect their young. WOW! Killdeer, I've seen them all over eastern Toronto where I live. Actually, I think a family of them live on the roof of the Zellers Dept. store roof nearby.

A male cardinal is singing near my apartment. I can hear him still singing his lovely song. You can't miss it. The Orioles, sing beautifully as well.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Ohhhhhh......so that is what they are! Thanks!

I am gonna watch and listen very closely for the Cardinal! Hopefully will have my camera near by too!

BTW, startingover, I wrote the fella that had all the birds in Australia that you provided a link for. He wrote me back and seems like such a nice fella. I can't imagine having those kinds of beautiful birds in my backyard! I told my husband last night, I want to go on a bird watching trip. He laughed at me.......said he would never get me home! LOL

Hi Christy,

I?m glad you enjoyed the images of all the birds that we are so fortunate enough to have come visit us.

The birds in the first picture are Rainbow Lorikeets; they are the predominant species that that grace the area in which we live.

As to the question how many birds do we have? We don?t have any, we are their pets, they have us!

We built our house on the top of a hill in a heavily wooded area taking care not to take out more trees than needed, so we are basically nestled in a narrow 1 acre stretch of woods. This meant that all the birds that inhabit this area remained undisturbed and once they got used to us being here started visiting and of course we started feeding them.

The Lorikeets are the cheeky ones, they will line up on the gutters or deck rail waiting to be fed or hang off the window screens tapping on the window to let us know they are there, we usually get as many as 30 to 40 at a time. All the other birds are more skittish and will fly away if we get too close to them, particularly the King Parrots and Rosellas.

We get many other species visiting, usually migratory birds that stay around for a couple of months and then move on such as the Corellas. I only show the more colourful birds on the web page as they seem to attract the most interest but we do get others such as cuckoos, butcher birds, wongas, wattle birds, the list goes on.

Anyway, I?m glad they gave you some pleasure.

Best wishes,

Ken

• frenchbabyface
  • Celtic
    Celtic

Cheers Scootergirl, very nice, glad to see others too sharing their pictures like this, was one of those birds a bullfinch by any chance?

Kindest regards to you!!

Mark

• Valis
    Valis

Hi scooter...nice pics. That is one of the things I remember most about being at your home.. Standing within feet of all that color just outside the big window.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

ahhhhhhh Valis! What a nice memory! You camping outside in the great outdoors at the Gould Wildlife reserve! W/the peeper frogs serenading you at night while the fireflies put on your own private show! Now you understand why I speak so highly of where we live and how it would be difficult for me to move into town again.

Celtic, I am not sure. I have a trusty "bird book" that I keep handy and the pages are almost worn out! LOL

So tonight, for shits and giggles I called about an ad in the newspaper for cockatiels for sale. Mind you, I promised Filthy I would not buy anymore birds being that we have ten now, but damn, I am tempted. Breeding pair w/a six week old baby! Elderly woman owns them and doesn't have the time to spend like they deserve. She is offering them for a extremely reasonable price. I should have never called! They come w/all accesories including the cage. LOL......Filthy went out today and bought a new leather recliner. Wonder if he would miss if it suddenly showed up missing and there was a bird cage in it's place?! LOL

Here is a pic of one of the budgie babies. This is Bob and today I got a package of new toys delivered to the house. All the other birds were shy when it came to the toys, but not my Bob! He jumped on right away, started chewing and spinning round and round! LOL.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit