Do you still preach?

by Theocrat 127 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

I just can't believe that you are pulling this, Theocrat. You are having a conversation with me about scriptures, you say that its one way, it's clearly not, as far as I can see, and then you ignore me. Not normal dialogue by any means.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What constitutes the "preaching of the good news"? Is it just going door to door "placing magazines" and conducting studies with WT publications? Let me ask the question a different way. Did Jesus and the apostles also emphasize taking care of the poor and those in need? Does the WT Society have a program for feeding the hungry and helping those in need? Or is that something that is done in Christendom, since all our focus should instead be on going door to door and attending WT-ordained meetings? Matthew 11:5
    "The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor." Mark 10:21
    "Jesus looked at him and loved him. 'One thing you lack,' he said. 'Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.' " Mark 14:7
    "The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me." Luke 12:33
    "Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. Luke 14:21
    "The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.' " Acts 6:1
    In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Grecian Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food." Acts 9:36
    "In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha, who was always doing good and helping the poor." Galatians 2:10
    "All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do." 1 Timothy 5:3
    "Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need." James 1:27
    "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." Why does the WTS not emphasize caring for the poor and hungry? Why is it that contributions go directly to the coiffers of the WTS to help fund the "great preaching work" (as if) instead of funding charities that help those in need -- even if it is just those within the organization? And why is charity work regarded as inferior to the "preaching work" and cannot be counted as time spent in "sacred service"?

• Leolaia
  • willyloman
    willyloman

There can be no meaningful debate without agreement on terms, and theo's pinned this debate on Acts. 20:20. The problem is that most of us on this board have educated ourselves about what that scripture actually says, and it does NOT support the JW house-to-house "witnessing" that your book-publishing corporation has organized to "place" magazines.

As to your question, of course we don't "preach" anymore, having abandoned your little group that made this canvassing work their trademark. Going "out in service" is a peculiarly JW thing, and when one stops being a dub, one stops doing their assigned chores. Are you suggesting that, having retired or quit a job, a person should still report for work?

There are more things, theocratic, in heaven and earth than are imagined in your philosophies.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Some are "called" to evangelise (and some to do a whole bunch of stuff that larc already alluded to).

All Christians are admonished (by Peter) to be ready to give a reason for the hope within their heart (that of being with Jesus), if asked, and to have a loving "walk". But as for door-to-door preaching...
    ...I don't see a clear warrant, in scripture, for saying that everyone has to do that.

I usually attend an evangelistic denomination, where "outreach" takes several forms, including street evangelism, tracting, "informal witnessing", and door-to-door, as well as various acts of charity and the supporting of overseas missionaries.

The JW's are NOT unique in preaching.

• Theocrat
    Theocrat

Sorry for the delay guys. I've got a bunch of stuff going on at the same time. I want to get something straight first, though. I don't judge anybody here. Deep down, I don't think one single person on this forum is condemned for what they do or don't do. If anybody thinks truly in their heart that what they do is the right thing, how can a God of love and justice punish that? I'm not saying that those people are, in fact, right, because truth isn't relative.

I didn't mean to come across any other way.

About Acts 20:20, I was just showing that scripture because of the many complaints about going "house to house". I was just pointing out that it was a scriptural practice. Scriptures such as Matthew 28:19, 20 and Matthew 24:14 point out that Jesus' followers would preach.

• little witch
    little witch

Willy,

I agree with you except on the premise that Acts 20 was the root of this conversation.

Theo did not use scripture until page TWO when called on it. He ask a question without any backup at all, and only focused on a SINGLE SCRIPTURE when we as contributing posters demanded some backup to his statements.

The original question was do you preach? When some of us answered in the negative and stated why we don't, Theo lossed his steam. This is not a question that can be answered with a single scripture. Especially is the scripture is taken out of context. No matter, it seems that Theo has lossed his interest.

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

Little Toe:

Jehovah's Witnesses may not be unique in preaching but they are uniquely preachers.

a f i n

• little witch
    little witch

Theo,

You said " If someone does what is in thier heart, how can a loving God punish that"? (Paraphrased actually).

God love ya, we see eye to eye after all. We are not so different at all are we? It warms my heart that you understand this.

• Theocrat
    Theocrat

Again, sorry for the delay. I didn't lose interest in the topic. I just really wonder if people still see it as a Christian obligation to preach. Scriptures were supplied as the topic continued to be challenged.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit