What 'exactly' changed in Adam when he sinned?

by gumby 297 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby
    Maybe it's an enigma without an answer.

Me thinks the man never existed, neither did the snake, neither did his hot little wife, neither did the tree, neither did the angels. I think were like a tree.......we just die. If a seed from us could be left as some trees leave, then maybe a part of us could continue. Guess I'm puttin some of my seed in a film container( I have some of those I use for other stuff), then I'll have the wife freeze it and pass the freezin instuctions on to the grankids, then when I'm dead, they'll figure shit out such as turning sperm into Gumby.... and Ill be back! Damn I'm a smart sombitch!

Gumby

• dh
    dh

adam was a bastard.

• gumby
    gumby

He was a bastard. He had no mommy. Poror Adam....no mom. Id never thought of that before. Poor bastard adam

Gumby

• Farkel
    Farkel

Gumby,

I've posted extensively on this subject and it is in the archives here.

Farkel

• Schizm
    Schizm

AlanF,

: The fruit from the tree of life really had life-sustaining ingredients.

Such as? Do you have any evidence at all that people could live forever simply by eating the right food?

Just that it seems quite reasonable. People who eat properly generally fair better health-wise. We can eat ourselves into an early grave by eating too much of something that simply tastes good to the palate. So, yes, the kind of food that we feed on affects the health of our bodies ... and CAN have a direct affect on our longevity.

: We die for the same reason that Adam and Eve died ... because we need the ingredients from the tree of life and aren't getting them.

[a] Do you have any evidence that if we ate the proper chemicals, we wouldn't die? [b] How about animals? If they ate whatever you think was contained in the tree of life, would they keep on living?

[a] Things seem to point in that direction. Also, since we have to eat in order to stay alive then it seems that *food* is the key to continual life. For as long as we were allowed to partake of that *certain food* that could be found only in the "tree of life," then life would never cease.

[b] Hmmm ... it would appear that the animals would keep on living if they were allowed to partake of the "tree of life". Were the animals allowed to eat from the tree life? All that we're told is that Adam and Eve themselves were allowed to do so. Was the fruit from this tree somehow made in such a way that the animals didn't have an appetite for it, although Adam and Eve did enjoy the taste of it? Of course, we don't know the answer to this question. At least I can't say that reasoning on it provides the answer, at least not yet anyway.

: What are your thoughts with regards to what I've said up above, AlanF? Do you see any flaws in my reasoning?

Mainly that it's special pleading. In other words, you already know that the Watchtower explanation involving genetics (and yes, they really do claim this) is nonsensical, so I think you've come up with another theory -- one that's completely untestable and for which there's zero evidence -- to explain a myth that you want to believe is true.

I think *reason* (the capacity for logical, rational, and analytic thought; intelligence) dictates otherwise. We use our reasoning powers with just about everything we think and do, with the exception of things we do as a matter of habit.

It seems only *reasonable* that the God of the entire universe would require all who would wish to have a permanent place in that universe to be willing to live in line with righteous standards. Only if such a standard is enforced can there be genuine peace an tranquillity.

Thanks, Alan, for your comments. I'll check back later in case you've said anything more.

Schizm

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Schizm

Please do some research on comparative religions. When you read people making equivalent claims with equal certainty and as much proof as you, albeit with different conclusions and drawing from different religious traditons, you might realise you are manifesting symptoms of a very common disease known as religious belief.

I don't think you do have any real knowledge of these other religions, so your certaintly is based on an assumption that other religionists can't do what you do.

Of course they can. Religions are made that way. That's why they are religons.

Whether or not you can disengage from the beliefs you are enculturated with is a different question.

Each religion is normally based on the assumption it is the only way or best way of life. All can 'prove' this internally. None are distinguishbale as to their claims externally.

If one assumes there is a fire (an entity concerned with man and Earth we'd call god) that the smoke of religion is based on, then one can reach the conclusion that the first failure we can make if we assume it has restricted it's contact to one group of people at the exclusion of others, as none can prove they are 'it'. If we submit to this intellectual and cultural vanity we make the biggest mistake we could make if we believe in spirituality; we put ourselves in a different group to the majority of our fellow man.

• gumby
    gumby
    Gumby,

I've posted extensively on this subject and it is in the archives here.

Where do I find it Fark?

If it's a fairly short essay.....why don't you paste it on this thread. I'd like to see what you have to say.

Gumby

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Roman Catholic theology does not deal with the "physical" attributes of Adam ... rather, they do as AlanF cited above by using "special pleadings. The Catholic Church teaches that it was Adam's perfect "soul" ... (the invisible spirit inside each human) that suffered the consequences of sin, so that upon his death as a human - which would have taken place anyway - he would not be allowed into heaven, but would go straight to Hell forever and ever. Catholic teaching is that only "God" is perfect and that physical humans can never be "perfect" ... but rather, it is their "souls" that were once perfect and permitted to heaven upon leaving this world. To Roman Catholics, salvation by Jesus death allows a person's "soul" back into heaven.

The Watchtower created a problem for themselves by denying the "immortal soul" theory as taught by most of Christian religions ... because once they linked the "soul" and the "body" as one and the same composite person, with the "soul" as nothing more than life force that is equal to electricity in some way ... they then had to move all of Catholic teaching to the physical body. This creates problems in any reasonable standard of justice. At least the "immortal soul" theory kept the Catholic Church in the realm of safe belief, and did not subject them to arguments of justice.

Anyway, this is unprovable, unknowable, and has absolutely no evidence of any kind to support such a belief. Interestingly, however, the Catholic Church many years ago cited the discovery that when a person dies there is a sudden and measurable weight loss as "evidence" that the "soul" left the body ... this was talked about for a time, especially among Catholics, but soon died out. This "weight" loss, though measurable is bery small, and has since been accounted for physically.

The story of Adam and Eve seem to have ended up in the fable bin, save a few fundamentalists like the JWs. Many Christians accept it in principle but will avoid making a big issue out of the story ... and, most interesting to me is that my Jewish family have told me that Jews have viewed the story of Adam and Eve as fable for thousands of years. I don't know, I can only cite what they say is the case ... but, if so, then this brings into question what the Apostle Paul and other Christian Bible authors wrote regarding Jesus being a corresponding ransom for Adam.

Catholic teaching is a safe harbor for the present for those who cling to such theories and do not want to face serious challenge. The Watchtower theories never were, nor are now, safe from serious criticisms ... for their theology is riddled with holes big enough to drive tanks through them.

I believe that the Christian "Faith" must be anchored on other aspects of our knowledge and views, rather than relying on such antiquated myths ... but exactly what shape and form such "Faith" takes is a topic for another day.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hello Schizm,

::: The fruit from the tree of life really had life-sustaining ingredients.

:: Such as? Do you have any evidence at all that people could live forever simply by eating the right food?

: Just that it seems quite reasonable.

Seeming reasonable has no necessary connection with reality. A lot of JW teachings seem reasonable on the surface but are seen to be complete nonsense when you dig deeper.

So you actually have no real evidence.

: People who eat properly generally fair better health-wise. We can eat ourselves into an early grave by eating too much of something that simply tastes good to the palate. So, yes, the kind of food that we feed on affects the health of our bodies ... and CAN have a direct affect on our longevity.

Yes, but only within limits. That's why you don't see many people living past the age of 100, no matter what they do.::: We die for the same reason that Adam and Eve died ... because we need the ingredients from the tree of life and aren't getting them.

:: [a] Do you have any evidence that if we ate the proper chemicals, we wouldn't die? [b] How about animals? If they ate whatever you think was contained in the tree of life, would they keep on living?

: [a] Things seem to point in that direction.

But again you present no evidence beyond "it seems reasonable".

: Also, since we have to eat in order to stay alive then it seems that *food* is the key to continual life.

Not at all. We breath air and we drink water in order to stay alive, but you're not proposing that *air* and *water* are keys to continual life. You're not arguing logically. Lack of any of these will kill us, but it doesn't follow that a sufficient supply or a supply of "the right kind" will allow us to live forever.

: [b] Hmmm ... it would appear that the animals would keep on living if they were allowed to partake of the "tree of life".

"It would appear" is based only on your presumption of "it seems reasonable".

: Were the animals allowed to eat from the tree life?

Genesis doesn't say.

: All that we're told is that Adam and Eve themselves were allowed to do so.

No, Genesis doesn't say that. You're jumping to a conclusion.

: Was the fruit from this tree somehow made in such a way that the animals didn't have an appetite for it, although Adam and Eve did enjoy the taste of it? Of course, we don't know the answer to this question. At least I can't say that reasoning on it provides the answer, at least not yet anyway.

You're engaging in wild speculation here.::: What are your thoughts with regards to what I've said up above, AlanF? Do you see any flaws in my reasoning?

:: Mainly that it's special pleading. In other words, you already know that the Watchtower explanation involving genetics (and yes, they really do claim this) is nonsensical, so I think you've come up with another theory -- one that's completely untestable and for which there's zero evidence -- to explain a myth that you want to believe is true.

: I think *reason* (the capacity for logical, rational, and analytic thought; intelligence) dictates otherwise. We use our reasoning powers with just about everything we think and do, with the exception of things we do as a matter of habit.

Reason is not evidence. Reason allows us to gather evidence and form conclusions. If your only evidence for your theory is that "it seems reasonable", I'm afraid your theory is simply wishful thinking and is without evidence.

: It seems only *reasonable* that the God of the entire universe would require all who would wish to have a permanent place in that universe to be willing to live in line with righteous standards. Only if such a standard is enforced can there be genuine peace an tranquillity.

But again, reason isn't evidence. Many Christians have no difficulty reasoning that God formed the universe billions of years ago and is now letting it run along on its own, with no input from God at all. But there's no real evidence for any of this, so I see little point in forming theories to base our lives on.

AlanF

• Schizm
    Schizm

Hi AlanF,

: Also, since we have to eat in order to stay alive then it seems that *food* is the key to continual life.

Not at all. We breath air and we drink water in order to stay alive, but you're not proposing that *air* and *water* are keys to continual life. You're not arguing logically. Lack of any of these will kill us, but it doesn't follow that a sufficient supply or a supply of "the right kind" will allow us to live forever.

It is true that we also need air and water in order to stay alive. However, the "key" to continuous life without ever dying is Biblically linked to *food*. Nothing was said about any "air of life" or "water of life" there in the Genesis account. It was a "tree of life" which Adam was no longer allowed to EAT from, and which finally led to his death.

: All that we're told is that Adam and Eve themselves were allowed to do so.

No, Genesis doesn't say that. You're jumping to a conclusion.

According to Genesis 2:16, 17 Adam had permission to eat from "every" tree of the garden, except for ONE particular tree. So, how can you say that Genesis doesn't say that Adam had permission to eat from the tree of life?

From what's been said so far I see no reason to ditch my original statements. Which were in two parts, as follows:

[1] I believe that the "tree of life" contained the unique ingredients that Adam & Eve needed in order to sustain their lives forever. I also believe that they were at least periodically eating from this tree, for the reason that the other tree was the only one of the two that was off-grounds for them. It was only AFTER they disobeyed that they were prevented from eating of the tree of life any longer. Had they not disobeyed it appears that they would have continued to live for as long as they replenished the needs of their bodies by consuming the essential ingredients that could be found in the tree of life alone.

No question about it, they had permission to eat of the tree of life.

The fruit from the tree of life really had life-sustaining ingredients.

The fruit from the "other" tree was simply good for food, just plain ole food, and to eat from it was to disobey God and merit not being worthy of eating of the tree of life any longer.

So Adam and Eve would still be alive today had they not been disallowed from eating from the tree of life.

We die for the same reason that Adam and Eve died ... because we need the ingredients from the tree of life and aren't getting them.

[2] We die for the same reasons that Adam and Eve died. Namely, because we need the ingredients found in the tree of life, and can't have them. The reason we can't have them is because we fail to be fully righteous. We fail to be fully righteous because our fathers were unable to inculcate this quality into us by way of teaching us properly. Our fathers were unable to teach us properly because their fathers were just as incapable ... and so on all the way back to Adam. Ultimately it can all be blamed on "sin". Person's who "sin" aren't worthy of eating from the tree of life. Once we've been helped to overcome our sinfulness then we will be allowed to eat from the tree of life. That's apparently the reason for the mention of the "trees of life" in the book of Revelation. It has nothing at all to do with genes!

I look forward to any further comments that you may make.

Thanks,

Schizm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit