Daughter Has Lump On Throat

by Corvin 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Corvin
    Corvin

Last week, my middle daughter, 15, found a large lump in her throat. It was about the size of a quarter. When she pointed it out, it was very visible.

The doctor said, after viewing the ultra-sound pics, that it was either a cyst with an unusual hardened mass inside or a carsanoma, [not sure of spelling] a cancer attached to her thyroid. We won't know for sure until they do a biopsy on the lump next Tuesday. At any rate, both are rare and not life threatening if removed in time. For now she complains of being very tired all the time and while she does not feel upset, looks like she is on the verge of tears.

We discussed what would happen if the doctor found it to be cancer and needed to remove it. The blood issue came next. Because she was raised in the organization, I needed to know what her view on blood was at this point in her life since we had discussed the blood issue in light of the WTBTS's "new light" on the blood issue. After about an hour of discussion she said that she would rather die than take another person's blood into her body . . . not even blood components or blood fractions. I did not say anything, but now, I wanted to die.

She then asked, "is it possible to donate my own blood and have them give it me if I were to need it?"

I wanted to cry with the relief I felt at that moment. Good girl, I thought.

Just wanted to share . . . Corvin

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

See - sensible people can compromise.

Make sure the elders don't get to her and switch her mind on autologous transfusions - it's still a nono in the BORG.

Anyway, best wishes. Good luck.

CZAR

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Oh wow Corvin! I'm sorry to hear that. When I was 20 I had a Goiter (sp?) which was a non-cancerous cyst on my tyroid. It just made lose a whole lot of weight in a very short time, and I had a difficult time swallowing. They simply prescribed some medication for me, and eventually after a few months it went away.

In any case. I will think happy thoughts for you an dyour family. I'm sure you're daughter will be just fine *muah*

p.s. her fatigue is not a bad sign. A thyroid can be either sped up or slowed down. I slowed down thyroid leaves you tired and drain and heavy feeling. In my case, it caused my thyroid to speed up, and I had a terrible time ever being able to sleep

• blondie
    blondie

Chevy, that is what I thought of too, goiter. Corvin, may your daughter's condition be resolved quickly and without harm.

Blondie

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Sometimes I wish I could get another goiter. I was a size 0 for the first time in my life. Although I did have an uncanny resemblance to Mick Jagger, that part wasnt so much fun.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

(((((Corvin))) I hope this lump problem resolves itself with very little trouble for yall.

Best Wishes,

Frannie B

• jgnat
    jgnat

Being tired all the time could be a side-effect of a malfunctioning thyroid. A malfunctioning thyroid is one of the easiest organs to fix. Your daughter may be required to take thyroid pills afterwards, for the rest of her life.

On the plus side, I am sure she will have a long, long life to look forward to.

Mention the blood option to your doctor ASAP so they can get your daughter on medication and iron to increase her blood production.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Make sure the elders don't get to her and switch her mind on autologous transfusions - it's still a nono in the BORG~~~~~

DRAT! I thought I read recently that JWs COULD have blood removed and stored for future elective surgery!!! Guess I must have read it wrong....somewhere on one of the JW/XJW boards I frequent! I went through this a number of years ago (when I was still a JW) and the doctors couldn't understand why I wouldn't agreee to doing this. (I didn't do it, but wondered why as well)

It's hard enough to be facing surgery without facing the laws and bylaws of the Witchtower to contend with too.

GRRRRRRR......

Sorry to hear about your girl, Corvin......I'm sure she'll be fine..just keep the Elders and Liason committee away from her!!!

hugs,

Annie

• ApagaLaLuz
  • Corvin
    Corvin
    Make sure the elders don't get to her and switch her mind on autologous transfusions - it's still a nono in the BORG.

She knows this, buddy, and yet she has no problem, even at 15, being reasonable about this thing, even if it means it is a nono by the Society's standards. She says she doesn't care about that.

The elders better back the effoff or I'll be punching some fat arse in a cheap suit right in the nose.

Thanks to all for your support and comments.

Corvin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit