Powerful Lines from Powerful Movies

by dh 41 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

La Amistad

Cinque speaking of his ancestors

"I will call into the past from back to the beginning of time and beg them to come and help me at the judgment. I will reach back and draw them into me, and they must come, for at the moment I am the whole reason they have existed at all."

-

to me this is such a profound statement from a highly charged awesome movie, needless to say the soundtrack scored by the awesome John Williams!!!

with other threads recently on the board it got me thinking, there are so many profound and powerful lines in movies, do any of you have any that really hot home?

• natalienu
    natalienu

I love the movie Where The Heart Is with Natalie Portman in it.

I find it is so inspirational when Novalee Nation says:

You tell them that our lives can change with every breath we take... and to hold on like hell to what they've got: each other, and a mother who would die for them and almost did... You tell them we've all got bad in us, but we've got goodness too. And the only thing worth living for is the good. And that's why we've got to make sure we pass it on.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I love the movie Where The Heart Is with Natalie Portman in it.

I find it is so inspirational when Novalee Nation says:

I love the movie and I loved reading the book. If you haven't read the book you should. What I loved about the book is that here is this girl Nova Lee Nation who has had much misfortune in her entire short life. Then this town of wonderful & good people embrace her and help her and her child gain their full potential. We hear so much bad news these days. It's nice to think there would be a town of such kind people who would reach out to an unwed mother.

Flyin'

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

"Cats and dogs living together - mass hysteria!" - Bill Murray in Ghostbusters

Hey, humor is powerful too!

Okay on a more serious note.. Umm..

"Somebody died - it was me." - Vanilla Sky

Since it's out of context for those who haven't seen it/don't remember I will just say the emphasis can be put on the word was. Another one from the same movie: "I'll see you in another life - when we are both cats."

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

"Someone once told me, the worst mistake you can make is to think you're alive... when you're asleep in life's waiting room." - Waking Life

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

From the Gladiator:

Commodus: You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues. Wisdom, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance. As I read the list I knew I had none of them. But i have other virtues, father. Ambition, that can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness. Courage. Perhaps not on the battlefield but there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family, to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then, it was as if you didn't want me for your son.
    Marcus Aurelius: Oh Commodus, you go too far.
    Commodus: I searched the faces of the gods for ways to please you, to make you proud. One kind word, one full hug while you pressed me to your chest and held me tight, would've been like the sun on my heart for a thousand years. What is in me that you hate so much?
    Marcus Aurelius: Shh, Commodus.
    Commodus: All I've ever wanted was to live up to you. Ceasar. Father.
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This dialogue is from the cult classic Harold And Maude. They are sitting on a blanket observing a meadow of wild daisies.

Maude: What kind of flower would you like to be?
    Harold: I don't know. One of these, maybe.
    Maude: Why do you say that?
    Harold: Because they're all alike.
    Maude: Oh, but they're NOT! Look. See, some are smaller; some are fatter; some grow to the left, some to the right; some even have lost some petals. All kinds of observable differences! You see, Harold, I feel that much of the world's sorrow comes from people who are *this*, yet allow themselves to be treated as *that*.

I saw this move at an art movie house in Atlanta, Buckhead to be precise when I was 13 with my mom in 1972. The movie had a profound effect on me. Harold is probably 20 and Maude is about to turn 80. She's a wise, eccentric & wonderful woman who Harold falls madly in love with. She teaches him so much.The soundtrack is awesome by the way and the songs used in a unique way I have not seen in another movie. All JWs current and ex could learn from Maude and her delightful and often hard earned wisdom. I give it 10 stars out of 5.

Flyin'

• heathen
    heathen

" You can't handle the truth !!!!!!!" A few good men .

I like the part in gladiator when maximus says " people should know when they've been conquered."

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I just watched Antwone Fischer on Sunday. The poem that Antwone (Derek Luke) wrote to his pyschiatrist (Denzel Washington) just made me weep.

Who will cry for the little boy, lost and all alone? Who will cry for the little boy, abandoned without his own?

Who will cry for the little boy? He cried himself to sleep.
    Who will cry for the little boy? He never had for keeps.

Who will cry for the little boy? He walked the burning sand.
    Who will cry for the little boy? The boy inside the man.

Who will cry for the little boy? Who knows well hurt and pain.
    Who will cry for the little boy? He died and died again.

Who will cry for the little boy? A good boy he tried to be.
    Who will cry for the little boy, who cries inside of me?

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Okay here is another funny one, but it is powerful in a way:

In Big Trouble in Little China, Lo Pan is going on about marrying and/or sacrificing the girl(s) with green eyes and ruling from beyond the grave, and Jack Burton (Kirt Rusell) goes:

"Either that or check into a psycho ward - whichever comes first, huh?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit