Harmful or Dangerous?

by Sunspot 60 Replies latest jw friends

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

No one is allowed to knock on you door, uninvited, and threaten you with your eternal life, or this life (with particular target to the uninformed), if you or your children don't agree to join in drinking or smoking.

Nor will they ever be.

The analogy is about as thoughtless as the reasoning for jwism.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

BTTT---for someone who couldn'y find this :)

• heathen
    heathen

Sunspot --- I do get your point . The WTBTS has it's members convinced that they are the FDS and appointed by jesus christ over all the congregations to instruct and reprove it's members . It's really no different than say the catholic church or any other religion with a clergy but the main difference is they do make it's members go out and recruit new members and raise money by selling publications . To the jehovah witness they are totally convinced that the material in the publications is vital for salvation during the coming deluge of Gods wrath . I know for sure I was told by some catholics and baptists I was going to hell for not seeing things their way so I don't see the reasoning behind A paduans comment . I think ciggarette companies have done greater evil by making them more addictive with chemicals and using advertisement to attract young people .

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    I know for sure I was told by some catholics and baptists I was going to hell for not seeing things their way so I don't see the reasoning behind A paduans comment

So because someone else does it, then it's not dangerous ?

• Gerard
    Gerard
    I believe it is unfair to control people?s ideas >> XQsThai

Yes, and your WT would neeeeeeeeeeeeever do that.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**The WTBTS has it's members convinced that they are the FDS and appointed by jesus christ over all the congregations to instruct and reprove it's members .**

Heathen,

Maybe you don't realize that I WAS a "loyal" unquestioning Jdub, baptized in 1972........so I know what they are told and what they believe. THAT'S why I'm so agitated..that the WTS is ABLE to get away with the lies that they do. Are we taking swings at each other on the same side of the fence here, LOL?

* It's really no different than say the catholic church or any other religion with a clergy <snip>**

That's my POINT! (Somehwere in all the stuff I say, here! <grin>) The WTS hollers and screams how UNLIKE other religions they are, but when it comes right down to it...in essence, they are just the SAME ! But the misled JWs are blinded to that obvious correlation. I know....I ws for 30+ years myself!

hugs,

Annie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**So because someone else does it, then it's not dangerous ?**

A Paduan,

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen this "excuse?" for WTS' behavior that I've been posting on other boards lately. On one hand, I get all this nonsense about how the WTS is so "different" from "other religions" but when I bring up the usual complaints..I get,"well THIS church does this and that church does it worse" mentality.......which seems to absolve the WTS of any "guilt" in their own house.

The Blindsheep Syndrome.......it makes'em feel good!

hugs,

Annie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I believe it is unfair to control people?s ideas >> XQsThai

Yes, and your WT would neeeeeeeeeeeeever do that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I know, Gerard.........I can't BELIEVE he said that.....ROFLMAO!! hugs, Annie

• heathen
    heathen

A Paduan-- I don't think people these days are as ignorant as in the past , so the old ploy of using eternal damnation as leverage is not going to manipulate most . Religions such as the catholic church did have a convert on the spot or die on the spot policy , I don't think that's what the WTBTS is doing at all . I think the more dangerous religions involve those of say in georgia (the orthodox church) where they are violently destroying property and harming people over religion . I can sit here and guarantee that the behavior of groups like that will never be part of the WTBTS . Sure they might use mind f@#$ games to control and manipulate but to use force and dehumanize people is far worse in my book .

sunspot -- We are on the same side of the fence but I just think the WTBTS claims to be more than just a publishing corporation. They are tax exempt under the blanket of religious freedom .

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I think the problem is the false idea that a "good" or "true" religion should not be hypocritical. In real life that is not the truth most work under conditional hypocrisy. It seems like people are saying if the WTS wants to exist in a civil world it must hold up to modern ideals, and that you can't be a hypocrite, bigot, liar, autocracy, and be considered a valid religion today. Otherwise you pay the price monetarily.

There are many of smaller "store front" churches than the watchtower that are not as controversial, and they all tend to follow a religious MO that never gets them into trouble except for maybe when someone dies in a faith healing or exorcism. I think the WTS is being picked on because it is a new world corporate clone of the ?Holy Roman? empire.

Are you guys saying that religions should be striped of its classic tools of influence, and be reduced to an academic, and philosophical nature? Because I can't make sense of your anti-watchtower argument when you compare it to most religions. You may have valid points, but I don't exactly understand what would have to change to "justify" its existence with out any penalties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit