Harmful or Dangerous?

by Sunspot 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**If you are on this board to simply rant and rave, perhaps we should divide it into one half a discussion board and the other half a rant and rave board.

Maybe we should.....but this isn't "YOUR" board, nor do you have the "right" to decide who should post what and where.

The reason that I DIDN'T address your points, was because whatever you call yourself,(so I got the TITLE or the LABEL wrong, big deal), you find someone who is hurting and upset (and JUSTIFIABLY SO) and swagger in and demean my thoughts and feelings in a very unkind and insensitive way.

People who pick at wounds are people I seldom respond to...because you're not here for a human-to-human discussion, but to tear down those who are already TORN down......what the hell ore do you expect when you are met with anger or indifference (my not replying to you)? What pleasure does THAT bring to you?

Half the time I don't even READ your posts, because the few that I HAVE happened to read---were all argumentitive and antagonistic........but I read MOST of what you said only because *I* started the thread and gave it a shot.......and I'm sorry that I DID......

Apparently you AREN'T a JW, (who knew?) but your attitude SURE seemed to reflect their feelings...or should I say---lack OF them. I'm always "up" for a GOOD debate, but when people purposely push the "buttons" that they KNOW are going to CAUSE irritation.....I tend to bow out.

out

Annie

• heathen
    heathen

XQsThaiPoes-- That's a good point . I think people should consider many dangerous activities before condemning religion . Ciggarette smoking causes lung cancer so why not ban ciggarette smoking ? People jump out of aeroplanes for thrills and danger or bungee jump , why not outlaw these activities ? If someone voluntarily submits their will to others it is a matter of personal choice and freedom . I think the russian orthodox church is showing intollerance toward other religions is dangerous . I can see banning religions that are dangerous to society as a whole like with the terrorists and the Islamic religions .

• amac
    amac
    Maybe we should.....but this isn't "YOUR" board, nor do you have the "right" to decide who should post what and where.

Hehe, it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

The reason that I DIDN'T address your points, was because whatever you call yourself,(so I got the TITLE or the LABEL wrong, big deal), you find someone who is hurting and upset (and JUSTIFIABLY SO) and swagger in and demean my thoughts and feelings in a very unkind and insensitive way.

People who pick at wounds are people I seldom respond to...because you're not here for a human-to-human discussion, but to tear down those who are already TORN down......what the hell ore do you expect when you are met with anger or indifference (my not replying to you)? What pleasure does THAT bring to you?

First off, I don't call myself anything, and perhaps you should avoid labeling people.

Now, let's review my posts and see where I was insensitive, picking at people's wounds, tearing down others. Here are my posts:

Post 1&2

There are many things in our society that are NOT HEALTHY, this does not mean it is OK for a government to tell us what we can and cannot do with our lives, as long as we are not causing harm to others. And although DFing and shunning are hurtful to others, it does not cause them harm. You shouldn't ban people's religion, simply because they don't talk to people. That's how I feel. Good analogy XQsThaiPoes, I don't think that anyone would suggest banning alcohol again although it is much more damaging and tears many more families apart than JWs.
    So I simply stated how I felt about the idea of banning JWs. Post 3
    I think he is saying that it is silly that they would ban a "harmful" religion, but freely license alcohol which is much more harmful than JWs could ever be. And on top of that, they are tops at puttin the devil juice back.
    I cleared up someone else's point. Then 4JWY replied and insinuated that I was not open minded enough, so I reply in Post 4

I am definitely open minded to the damages that the WT causes. I still do not think anything they do warrants banning. The stock market causes many more suicides than the WT ever could. Should we ban the stock market? No, because people make a conscience choice to participate in it. Unless a person is drugged or physically forced, they make a conscience decision to either become a JW or stay a JW.

I AM aware of the negative effects of the WT organization. Through this website I AM aware of personal struggles and even cases of suicide. I am also aware of the negative effects of many other things, foods, organizations, practices, consumer products, ways of life in this world that are much more negative on people than the WT and I am not about to promote the banning of those.

4JWY - Try to detach yourself from the emotional aspect of being intimately familiar with the negative impact that the WT has caused to those you know and compare it to some of the other problems in the world. I am sure you will see that it is miniscule in relation and certainly does not warrant banning ahead of many of the more negative things in the world.

At the end of my post I ask her to, in shorter words, to look at the bigger picture. Nothing insulting about it. Then I received replies from both you and 4JWY that were insulting and twisting my words. I replied with Post 5
    You are absolutely right. My discussion does revolve around the idea of banning religions. I was under the impression that this thread was a defense for the reasoning behind banning the JWs. If it is not, then I apologize for going off track. If it is simply about whether or not the WT is harmful or not, then I would agree that they are very harmful and damaging to some, BUT they are very helpful and comforting to others, some people just like to be led.

However, I am turned off by both you and Sunspot's method of arguing, resorting to ad hominem arguments and saying things like "Typical JWcultspeak" and "typical of watchtowerthink." Taking my wording and then twisting it to "Life is not miniscule. Is yours?" is not only wrong but completely irrelevant to the discussion. I never inferred that life is miniscule.

I am NOT so sure that you ARE as "open-minded" as you claim. Just in saying in the next breath (line) that the STOCK MARKET is a part of the problem I addressed, is ludicrous.

I didn't say that the stock market is part of the problem. Rather then RE-explain, it might be best for you to reread my post.

If YOU are comfortable serving the Watchtowergod, so be it.

FYI, I don't serve the "Watchtowergod."

: "Detach yourselves from your emotions" - no, thank you. They contribute to my color in life which is something more vibrant now than ever.
    I'm sorry to say then you will always be susceptible to being easily influenced by others, unless you decide to think objectively. And NO JWS are NOT good at detaching themselves from the emotions, that is how the WT traps them is through their emotions of love, guilt, subservience, etc. If it was logic, the religion would have fell apart ages ago.
    Here I admitted to possibly being off-topic on the thread and apologized. I then pointed out your insults, but I DID NOT INSULT you back. And then after repeatedly referring to me in a negative fashion, in my defense I made my last post:
    Sunspot -

For starters, I am NOT a JW apologist, I try to be a COMMON SENSE Apologist. It's been said many times that the best way to learn is to entertain thoughts that you do not agree with.

If you don't want to "waste your time" in replying to my points, that's fine. But to continue with condescending remarks of lumping me into an unfavorable group simply shows me that you do not have any reasoning for you ideas besides your emotional bitterness. Rather than discussing my knee-jerk JW apologist reactions with others, reply to the points in my last thread and we can have a civilised discussion. If you are on this board to simply rant and rave, perhaps we should divide it into one half a discussion board and the other half a rant and rave board.

So how is it that I "swagger in and demean my thoughts and feelings in a very unkind and insensitive way." or that I "pick at wounds " or that I'm "not here for a human-to-human discussion" or that I "tear down those who are already TORN down?" Please point out where I did any of this? PLEASE? You then post...
    I'm always "up" for a GOOD debate,
    No, I'm afraid you're not. You only seem to be able to throw ad hominem attacks and fail to DISCUSS anything. You seem to have some real emotional problems that I feel sorry for, but there is no need to reflect those on to other people. If anyone has been demeaning thoughts and feelings in a very unkind and insensitive way it has been YOU! Good day.
  • Sunspot
    Sunspot

**I can see banning religions that are dangerous to society as a whole like with the terrorists and the Islamic religions .

When we peel away all the layers, and get down to the "nitty-gritty"......we can clearly see that the Psuedo-"religion" called the Watchtower Society, is NOT a "religion" after all.

It's just a few old men in Brooklyn (AND their "boys" who act as Scribes) who make mandates that change even a we speak.......that CLAIM to have a pipeline to God himself, although they can't hear him very well.....and expect TOTAL loyalty from their "subjects", who traipse from door2door pushing literature to the glory and well-being of this select few....

RELIGIONS........don't mess with'em. Let them worship the way they choose.

Watchtower Society and all its sum parts.........It's NOT a religion---its a book company! It should come under the sever scrutiny it deserves; for masquerading as a religion.

Annie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**If you don't want to "waste your time" in replying to my points, that's fine.**

Done, Amac...

Annie

• amac
    amac
    Done, Amac...

That figures, you make hypocritical insulting accusations and then run away. Well, here is my one insulting post on this thread....HYPOCRITE! You have no answer for my previous post because you were in the wrong.

• heathen
    heathen

sunspot-- I think more aptly put , it's a cult but to me all religion are cults . It's more than just a publishing company these people really believe they are doing God's work for him . At meetings they do pray to God not to a publishing company . They even consider themselves christians .

• heathen
    heathen

sunspot-- I think more aptly put , it's a cult but to me all religion are cults . It's more than just a publishing company these people really believe they are doing God's work for him . At meetings they do pray to God not to a publishing company . They even consider themselves christians .

edited to add --- crap I hit the submit post thingy twice .

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**It's more than just a publishing company these people really believe they are doing God's work for him . At meetings they do pray to God not to a publishing company . They even consider themselves christians .**

Heathen,

I agree. It IS more than just a publishing company. Commentary Press is a publishing company. Bantam is a publishing company, etc. THEY don't CLAIM to speak for God and demand sole worship unto themselves now, do they. BIG difference.

Jehovah's Witnesses are under the mistaken IMPRESSION that they have a "religion" in the WTS---NOT their fault. They've been duped into believing in the WTS' false teachings. The JWs may be sincere, but the WTS is not.

Yes--the JWs pray to God...but, Heathen--- ANYONE can do that...they don't have to be in a KH to DO that....just because a JW prays to God does not make the Watchtower Publishing Corporation a "religion".

If you pay very close attention, the JWs baptism questions ask them to recognize the "organization", and basically, that COULD mean anything the WTS says it means.

Why NOT baptize in the manner that Jesus himself SAID TO??? (In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit)

WHY are they so devious about this?

WHY isn't the way Jesus commanded---GOOD ENOUGH for the WTS?

Jesus is never even given an honorable mention when a JW is baptized, and I won't even go into the "memorial" sell-abration. Enough has already been said about that on this board.

They may "consider themselves" Christians, but deny the Christ at every opportunity! (Like always saying that "Jehovah reads hearts" but yet...isn't it JESUS who was given the authority to do that?) The list is endless.....when you REALLY examine things...

The WTS has to put it's money where its mouth is...if it wants to hold up under the scrutiny AS a religion, just as it expects OTHER religions to do.......

hugs,

Annie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**edited to add --- crap I hit the submit post thingy twice .

<giggle> That was funny!

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit