All About The Trinity

by UnDisfellowshipped 287 Replies latest watchtower bible

• herk
    herk

UnDisfellowshipped,

I can understand why certain people do not understand the Trinity, especially the way the Watchtower Society (and certain other religions) has always misrepresented the Trinity.

People were confused about the Trinity long before the WT Society came into existence. It is debatable whether the WT has misrepresented the Trinity in view of their many quotations from Trinitarian sources. Surely they haven't distorted the meaning of every single one of the hundreds of word-for-word quotations found in their literature!

You misrepresent the facts by passing blame on the WTS and others. Trinitarians themselves say their doctrine is a mystery and that it is unexplainable, that it must be accepted on faith rather than on the basis of logic and reason.

So please call a spade a spade. Confusion exists concerning the Trinity basically because Trinitarians themselves are not in agreement about its meaning. The Eastern Orthodox Church differs from the Western traditions regarding the relation of the Holy Spirit to the Father and the Son. Some television evangelists differ greatly from the Reformed Churches in their concept of Christ?s divinity while he was on earth. Yet all these claim that Christ is God and that the Bible supports their position. Surely if the Trinity were a part of Bible doctrine, and especially if one had to believe it to be saved, it would be clearly defined in Scripture. Yet there is no Trinitarian formula in the Bible and Trinitarians themselves cannot agree on a definition. If one is to believe in the Trinity, how is he to know which definition is correct, since none appears in the Bible?

Trinitarians contend that ?the Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God, and together they make one God.? That expression is not in the Bible, and it is illogical. They teach that Jesus is both 100 percent man and 100 percent God. However, God invented logic and mathematics. He gave us mental and spiritual abilities that enable us to know him and his world. He did not intend that we should understand three persons when he said that he is ?One God.? And just as he did not give us the ability to fathom a round square, he did not give us the ability to make 100 percent +100 percent = 100 percent, without putting aside the laws of mathematics that he designed.

The blame for confusion about the Trinity rests entirely at the feet of Trinitarians.

herk

• herk
    herk

Undisfellowshipped,

My beliefs are based entirely on what I have read in the Scriptures. ...
    There are Three Persons who are the One True God. All Three share all of the Attributes listed above. The Three Persons are: The Father, The Son [Jesus Christ], and The Holy Spirit. All Three share the Name Yahweh (Jehovah).

If your beliefs are based "entirely" on what you "have read in the Scriptures," where did you read in the Scriptures that the One True God is "Three Persons"? Why not tell us where in the Bible you found the precise phrase "three persons"? Also, why not tell us where you found that the "name" of Jesus and the name of the Holy Spirit is "Yahweh (Jehovah)"? Others of us have read the Bible several times cover-to-cover, and we've never found what you have found. So, did you actually find these ideas spelled out clearly in the Bible, or did you have to enlist some form of "logic" and "reason" to arrive at your conclusions? herk

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That's better. Keep attacking the position, Herk.
    Now if only you'd answer some of the difficult questions levelled at you, you'd gain a new level of respect around here.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Herk,

And where in the Bible is the one true God referred to as " one person"?

• herk
    herk

UnDisfellowshipped,

The Trinity is NOT a "Three-Headed God" like the Watchtower occasionally claims.

. . . and like Trinitarians themselves occasionally illustrate:

herk
  • herk
    herk

UnDisfellowshipped,

Also, notice that the Bible says that a husband and wife become "One Flesh" in unity. So a husband and wife are "One Flesh" even though they are two distinct persons.

Yes, a husband and wife become "one flesh," as you say, "in unity." They do not become one being. They are two persons and two individual beings. Their oneness is due to their unity of purpose. The Trinity, however, teaches that the Three Persons are One Being. So your illustration is off the mark.

John 10:29-30: My Father [...] is greater than all [...] I and [my] Father are ONE.

When Jesus said "I and my Father are one," Trinitarians claim that he meant they are one God. But Jesus also prayed regarding his followers "that they may be one, as we are." (John 17:11)

Why do Trinitarians insist that John 10:30 means one God (one divine Being) but that John 17:11 means one in unity (not one being)? Jesus specifically said the oneness of his followers was exactly the same as the oneness between himself and his Father--"as we are."

herk

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

herk

According to the Bible, Who raised Jesus from the dead? After you answer that question, you can call it peanut butter if you want to, but some of us like the word "Trinity"!

D Dog

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Herk,

That illustrations shows 3 faces. You say it represents a 3-headed God or is it symbolical of three persons? What do you do about descriptions in Ezekiel 1:6, 10, 11, 15 where the living creatures are seen with 4 faces and the cherubs with two? Ezekiel 41:18. Apparently face in the Bible doesn't always mean "one" either.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Gumby

You're even smarter than you look!

D Dog

• herk
    herk

Kenneson,

I wrote that Trinitarians themselves illustrate God as having three faces. What about that statement don't you understand?

herk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit