More KM convention instruction gems! (KM Feb 04)

by ozziepost 56 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Truthseeker brought news to us of the controlling instructions in the April KM

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/68733/1.ashx

Just two months before (Feb04) were instructions on how to make hotel and motel reservations and has these mind-numbing gems: (They're on page 8)

1. Lift up phone and make a call.

3. Tell what dates you want to book.

4. Ask how much?

5. If no rooms available, call another hotel/motel. They've gotta be kidding!!!!

And to think they actually "studied" that at a Service Meeting!!!! What a hoott!!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• cyber-sista
  • ozziepost
    ozziepost

Nothing more to be said really!!

• new light
    new light

So let me get this straight. If there are no more available rooms, I should call another hotel? Should I hang up before proceeding? What do I do if the next hotel is full? Should I eat on the way to the hotel? Arriving at the front desk with a crumb on my shirt could "detract from the message." Is it worth the risk for a few moments of fleeting pleasure?

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Being a New Yorker we usually always had our assemblies somewhere in the metro area so hotels were not needed for those in our congo. And if you wanted to attend an assembly somewhere else you were discouraged because you wee told that only enough food and supplies were planned for a certain number to attend that convention and it would throw everything off!

The only year we had to commute be time was in 1985 when the convention was held in Philly at Vets stadium. I remember being 16 at the time and at intermission riding the Broad St subway from end to end. It was fun exploring another city at that age.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Ozzie, you made some interesting points. A brother I know tried to get a hotel booking but couldn't - the hotel that was assigned to his convention was already booked by dubs living in the area, who knew about this hotel before everyone else.

Also, you have to wait "for the appointed time to book", that is when the congregation gets the list of hotels and puts them on the noticeboard.

This brother was discouraged from finding another hotel not on the list and was told to be patient, another list will come out nearer the convention time. Usually this list has some available bookings when people cancel at last minute.

What's the big deal about staying in one of the Society's recommended hotels? Even if they do have reduced prices, how are they benefiting from the friends staying there?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    What's the big deal about staying in one of the Society's recommended hotels? Even if they do have reduced prices, how are they benefiting from the friends staying there?

Each year Mrs Ozzie and I attend a non-denominational convention with a week-long of Bible instruction.

Although thousands of people attend, there are no hotel/motel lists. We're all grownups and simply look up in an accommodation directory or whatever to find our accommodation. There's no big deal about it.

It seems to me that the WTS, with its history of controlling the R&F, cannot see any alternative to going through the annual ritual of KM inserts and 'approved' accommodation lists.

It's all about control.

• blondie
    blondie
    You can tell that the Christlike personality of JWs has taken a real dive. I was amazed at what the WTS felt was necessary to "counsel" the rank and file on in this 2001 KM.

Common Sense or It Should Go Without Saying and the Talmud Has Returned

km

5/01 p. 4 Organized "Decently and by Arrangement"

There are simple things that we can do to cooperate with the convention arrangement for making rooming reservations.

1. Do not reserve more hotel rooms than you plan to use. (Reserving for friends..remember the saving seat syndrome? )
    2. Send the appropriate deposit to hold your room. (A no brainer)
    3. Do not abuse complimentary breakfast provisions that may be offered to guests. (Cleaning out the hotel each morning taking food for lunch time)

(emember that hotel owners properly expect us to abide by their rules. (You?d think JWs were already good at following rules)

We are known as honest people. (Heb. 13:18)

Hence, we should be truthful about the number of people staying in our hotel room.

We must not cook in the room if this is not permitted.

One manager commented that he was able to keep room prices down for Jehovah?s Witnesses because he never has to replace missing towels. He knows that the property will be well cared for.

Surely we would not take "souvenirs" from the hotel.

Rather, where customary, leave an appropriate tip to show appreciation for services rendered.

And always be courteous and patient in dealing with hotel personnel.

Parents, please supervise your children so that they do not become a disturbance to others, including when they use the swimming pool or other recreational facilities.

All should avoid slamming doors or making loud noises, especially late in the evening.

We can do good by being considerate of non-Witness hotel guests who are also using the premises.

Some hotels complain that convention delegates use all the ice in the ice machines to fill their coolers.

Likewise, it is inappropriate to take complimentary food items or fill containers with coffee for later use.

Never should we feel that we are an exception with regard to hotel policies.

It has been noted that some delegates have refused to cooperate with the attendants, even speaking to them in an unchristian manner.

Because of failing to follow the instructions of the brothers and parking where not legally permitted, some delegates have had their cars towed away

When the convention doors open at 8:00 a.m., some brothers and sisters can be seen running, pushing, and shoving to obtain the "best" seats. Injuries have resulted because of this type of behavior.

While it has been suggested that we bring a light lunch to eat at noon, it is not appropriate to set up tables in the parking lot to serve a large meal. This would give the impression of the tailgate parties that are common at sporting events.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

God , that brings back painful memories of having to stretch these boring articles intoa meaninful 20 minute discussion on a Thursday night. "Assembly reminders" were the worst .

I wrote up and complained once after having to put accross the silly and sometimes unkind things they had said.. I got a very condescending reply.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I wrote up and complained once

You did what??????? You would have been 'flavor of the month', eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit