Why I like Jehovah's Witnesses

by undercover witness 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• runForever
    runForever

You have to think objectively. Sorry but it's true. 

1) If I become a Jehovah's Witness but then decide it's not for me will they be friendly to me? 

Answer____________________________________________

2)Do the people I see on the street represent how everybody will act when I am inside?

Answer___________________________________________

3)Is it possible that if I do something that they deem being a troublemaker I will be thoroughly interrogated by 3-8 Elders by myself in a small room where they specifically tell me I can't have a tape recorder?

Answer_______________________________________________

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

undercover witness

I take this thread to be tongue and cheek. 34 minutes ago

I keep reading that Jehovah's Witnesses are in effect monsters.  I keep reading that they kinda leave chaos and distrust in their wake.  So I simply wondered if anyone had anything nice to say about them?

Some of them. The religion breeds them that way.

Why I Like Jehovah's Witnesses

I am not an official Witness.  I am therefore Undercover.  They wouldn't let me join their organisation with a cigarette in my mouth.  It's unhygienic and sets a bad example to the kids.  Quite right too.  So if I bump into Witnesses on the street I don't smoke in front of them lest they go and get the hump.

Nice of you. That doesn't make them nice generally speaking.

However, there are many reasons why I like Jehovah's Witnesses wherever they may be. They know the essential validity of the Bible and from all of the versions of the Bibles, their's is the only one that makes any actual sense. 

They don't really validate the Bible but instead they validate the governing body's interpretation of it. The New World Translation is a pile of bovine manure.

They know the reality of the Creator and even what His name means. 

Some others use the name Jehovah though nowhere near as much as the Witnesses. Think of Exodus 20:7. They simply don't want to identified as a Witness

They know a con from most of the world's religions when they see it too. 

Can they smell their own? 

They know the prophecies in the Bible and pretty much what they mean and what is on the horizon and beyond.

Sure. Can't you hear the "trumpet blasts" at their assemblies?  

Not everything they say or do, nor everything they believe, stands up to examination from the heart, but the vast majority of what they say about the Bible is correct and can be demonstrated by them from every version of the Bible. 

Like the doctrine about Sheol in the Old Testament which in the Hebrew means underworld with immortal spirits of the dead (not the soul) are asleep in a literal manner.

Or Hades in the New Testament where, in contradiction to the Old Testament, also refers to the underworld but with conscious (and immortal), souls either in a Paradise section of it for the righteous and a Lake of Fire section (Gehenna) for the wicked. Both of them awaiting the resurrection at judgment day with body and soul joined up together.

Or their idea of Judgment Day. 

Yes I know, huh? 

And they mean you well. Without hatred in their hearts nor money on their minds.

Something about crows pecking your eyes out and your house being transferred to them comes to mind.

It takes drive and determination to go out in all weathers and keep knocking at everybody's door.  They do it for a reason. 

Sure. I guess they must go to three or four houses per hour in between coffee and donut breaks.

They have got some stunning information.  They know what the so-called 'Good News' actually is.  So hats off to them, I say. 

Their interpretation of John 6:68 comes to mind. 

It is a shame most people think they are mad.  They aren't any madder than all of us, though, just very, very driven by and towards our Creator. They have been told to do it by scripture and won't give up until this world's way of doing things ends.

Suuuuuuuuuure. So where does Scripture say that salvation requires being a member of an organization? In particular they have added to the baptismal rite an oath of allegiance to the organization putting it on an equal standing with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19).

So hats off to Witnesses because they mean goodness not harm.  Above all I like Witnesses because they are my fellow human beings and that's reason enough to like anyone.

ISIS terrorists are your fellow human beings. While the witnesses may not become suicide bombers their belief in Armaggedon slaughtering all non-witnesses is what they believe in their heart. Only because they don't have sovereign territory are they not dangerous to non-witnesses.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere
    Wow,  they recognize religious cons...yet are part of a religious con. Where does all the watchtower money go????? Go research that. Oh yeah, and child sex abuse.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Go blow smoke up someone else's ass somewhere else.

I'm betting this is a pimple-headed, head-in-the-sand newly converted MS-wanna-be. Or at the best a new-MS-wanna-be-an-elder.

You obviously know nothing about the political hierarchy of the Congregations, Circuits, Districts, and beyond.  You know nothing about the Butt-Buddy connections made through simony and nepotism. You have never been "behind the curtain" of the the Great OZ to know what is really going on.

Go clean the bathrooms.  Jehovah loves you.

Doc

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Good thing you aren't a JW  If you were, and you decided to light up a smoke, you would be disfellowshipped, and communally shunned fromeveryone you ever knew and loved under threat of them being shunned themselves.

You know......just like Jesus would have done right?

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    undercover witness - I keep reading that Jehovah's Witnesses are in effect monsters.  I keep reading that they kinda leave chaos and distrust in their wake.  So I simply wondered if anyone had anything nice to say about them?
    JWs are not monsters!  The WTBTS is a dangerous printing, print distribution, internet TV, real estate corporation that victimizes JWs by using BITE control techniques to manipulate them to do things that they probably would not do if they had free will.
    Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,
    Robert
  • steve2
    steve2

You keep hearing that people do not like JWs. Where? Not here - cause if you read carefully - without smoke in your eyes - you'll find many posters who actually admire them and like them but that is an entirely different aspect from whether or not they teach and support "the truth".

Or perhaps you are just being deliberately provocative - putting out there a point of view to bait responses so you can sit back and grin widely. If so, you've got your result. If not - and you genuinely mean what you say, I hope you give the time and thought to the responses you have got.

Liking or not liking people has got nothing to do with whether or not they teach and support truth.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

They have got some stunning information. 

Which they use an ineffectual means to disseminate. Many decades into this electronic age, you would think more effective means to communicate a life and death message would be selected than knocking on people's doors:      -  doors of houses in which the occupants are usually not at home.

Of course, if, after all, this message is in fact not  a life and death issue, then it matters not one jot!

Bill.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Jws Nice people - utterly deluded.

Many of the dubs I know are evil, immoral bullies--a much higher proportion of those types within dubbery than outside of it.

As to the OP....None of that is true, but whatevah floats ya boat.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Not everything they say or do, nor everything they believe, stands up to examination from the heart, but the vast majority of what they say about the Bible is correct and can be demonstrated by them from every version of the Bible.  And they mean you well. Without hatred in their hearts nor money on their minds.

So I simply wondered if anyone had anything nice to say about them?

There's woman who just started doing temporary receptionist work in our office. She's working with a government program that helps older minority women get back into the workforce. After the holidays I was standing nearby and heard her mention to someone that she's a JW and doesn't celebrate Christmas. Today I told her I had overheard her say that and wondered if I had heard correctly. She replied very respectfully and solemnly "Yes Sir...I've been a Jehovah's Witness for over 30 years now". It felt strange to have a older black woman address me, (a white male) as "Sir" that way because I am not her supervisor or her superior in any way and I had talked to her one on one many times before without that kind of reacition. I realized she might have just been saying that because she was in full JW mode and wanted to make a good JW impression.

Anyway, I told her that up until a few years ago I had been a JW myself and was even a Bethelite at one point but had stopped going to meetings for various reasons. She gasped and was very impressed about me having been a Bethelite. She asked me if I'd ever thought of going back. I told her that it had crossed my mind but that too many things had happened for me to ever feel the same.

She asked me what happened and I told her that I didn't want to go into too much detail here at work but one thig was that my father died a horrible death from not taking a blood transfusion after a surgery and then about 2 years later the Governing Body decided that taking blood fractions was OK. I told her that those fractions would have most likely saved his life.

She looked puzzled and said she never heard anything about blood fractions and wasn't sure what I was even talking about. I told her that a few years ago the Governing Body decided that if whole blood was separated out into its various components or fractions, certain fractions could be used for medical purposes and still be considered "abstaining" from blood. Anyway we simply stopped going to meeting after this and a few other similar things happened one after another. My wife and I are pretty much friendless now because no one but a few family members will associate or talk to us, even though we've done nothing other than stop going to meetings.

Her phone rang just then but before she answered it she said "Well, I've never heard anything about blood fractions but I wouldn't have stop talking to you".

I'll have to wait and see if she want's to hear more the next time I see her.

Anyway, to answer your opening question, I'd have to say that JW's as individuals are typically lovely people and I can think of lots of nice things to say about them. They have their faults like anyone else but I find that so many of them are unclear or unaware of many important details about their own beliefs and how they have evolved over the years and the price so many have paid from altering their lives around those now changed beliefs.  JW's are prepared to die or let their children die, upholding beliefs they aren't really clear about.  As an organization, because of their beliefs and the enforcement of them, JW's are directly responsible for prematurely ending lives or permanently altering whole family lineages. On the surface it all looks well and good.  But it's only when you have a crisis  or conflict yourself  or when you become aware of the experiences of (likely) millions of individuals who's experience as a JW has been less than ideal, do you get a true picture of the impact of this organization and why it's beliefs and members are sometimes viewed as peculiar .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit