The Hubris of the Governing Body

by cofty 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's a good way of turning it on it's head. Cofty.

Hopefully, it will make some stop and think.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"They identify themselves as the 'Faithful and Discreet Slave' "

Why does that even matter?

Because Jesus focused on that for a second among other endtime statements? But he gave no further explanation.

Why does that then make it relevant?

• cofty
    cofty

I'm a slave of nobody

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

There must be thousands of examples one could use this method on - here are just a few more;

The point is that Christians have implicit trust in their heavenly Father; they do not question what he tells them through his written Word and organization. (WT 1974 Jul 15 p.441)

The point is that you have implicit trust in your heavenly Father; you do not question what he tells you through his written Word and me.

=================

The Governing Body publishes spiritually encouraging literature in many languages. This spiritual food is based on God’s Word. Thus, what is taught is not from men but from Jehovah. (WT 2010 Sept 15 p.13)

I publish spiritually encouraging literature in many languages. This spiritual food is based on God’s Word. Thus, what is taught is not from me but from Jehovah.

===================

The anointed and their other sheep companions recognize that by following the lead of the modern-day Governing Body, they are in fact following their Leader, Christ. (WT 2010 Sept 15 p.23)

The anointed and their other sheep companions recognize that by following my lead they are in fact following their Leader, Christ.

=================

Well, a person who lacks confidence that the end is near might start to make alternate arrangements, so to speak, in case things do not work out as Jehovah said they would. (WT 2012 Sept 15 p.22)

Well, a person who lacks confidence that the end is near might start to make alternate arrangements, so to speak, in case things do not work out as I said they would.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Only the Faithful Slave understands the Bible.

“... not only do we find that people cannot see the divine plan in studying the Bible by itself, but we see, also, that if anyone lays the SCRIPTURE STUDIES aside, even after he has used them, after he has become familiar with them, after he has read them for ten years - if he then lays them aside and ignores them and goes to the Bible alone, though he has understood his Bible for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he had merely read the SCRIPTURE STUDIES with their references, and had not read a page of the Bible, as such, he would be in the light at the end of the two years, because he would have the light of the Scriptures.” Watchtower: September 15, 1910, page 298

Unless we are in touch with this channel of communication that God is using, we will not progress along the road to life, no matter how much Bible reading we do,” (Watchtower, Dec. 1, 1981, p. 27).

WT 10/1/1967: "Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah's visible organization in mind."

WT 1/15/1983: "Would we know the way of the truth if it had not been for guidance from the organization? Really, can we get along without the direction of God's organization? No, we cannot!"

1. Only this organization functions for Jehovah’s purpose and to his praise. To it alone God’s Sacred Word, the Bible, is not a sealed book,” (Watchtower, July 1, 1973, p. 402).

2. We all need help to understand the Bible, and we cannot find the Scriptural guidance we need outside the ‘faithful and discreet slave’ organization,” (Watchtower, Feb. 15, 1981).

3. . . . people cannot see the Divine Plan in studying the Bible by itself . . . if he then lays them [Scripture Studies] aside and ignores them and goes to the bible alone, though he has understood his Bible for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he had merely read the Scripture Studies with their references, and had not read a page of the Bible, as such, he would be in the light at the end of the two years, because he would have the light of the Scriptures,” (Watchtower, Sept. 15, 1910, p. 298).

4. Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible,” (Watchtower, Oct. 1, 1967, p. 587).

5. The world is full of Bibles, which Book contains the commandments of God. Why, then, do the people not know which way to go? Because they do not also have the teaching or law of the mother, which is light. Jehovah God has provided his holy written Word for all mankind and it contains all the information that is needed for men in taking a course leading to life. But God has not arranged for that Word to speak independently or to shine forth life-giving truths by itself. His Word says: “Light is sown for the righteous.” (Ps. 97:11) It is through his organization that God provides this light that the proverb says is the teaching or law of the mother. If we are to walk in the light of truth we must recognize not only Jehovah God as our Father but his organization as our mother,” (Watchtower, May 1, 1957, p. 274).

6. Channel to understanding the Bible . . . All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the “greatly diversified wisdom of God” can become known only through Jehovah’s channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave,” (Watchtower, Oct. 1, 1994, p. 8).

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

In other words, Charles Russell believed that he wrote a better Bible than God did.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Arrogant or what!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Another thing this Thread has reminded me of, was when as a fairly young man I met a member of the Writing Committee, not quite a G.B member, but he was an arrogant, proud Twat, and enjoyed getting special respect from the R&F, respect that even to me then, as an active J.W, seemed unmerited.

I had to sit through a Public talk this guy gave, with the air that he was imparting wonderful words of secret wisdom, it was boring and had zero what I called at the time "spiritual" content. A family member of this guy had visited him at the K.H he and a number of other G.B attended in N.Y, and said that Meeting was most "unspiritual" and boring too !

Their Arrogance extends to not bothering to put any effort in to anything much.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I think repeatedly labelling themselves as the FDS is done to unconsciously reinforce their righteousness - and, therefore, legitimacy and authority - in the eyes of the rank-and-file.

Like calling it “The Truth” over and over and over.

• Mum
    Mum

I can't cite the particular chapter and verse, but the Bible (which they profess to believe) says that one who is exalting himself will be humbled, and the one humbling himself will be exalted.

It is the epitome of arrogance to claim that you, one of 9 white males and one black male, are the only people on earth who can understand scripture sufficiently to explain it, especially when not having studied ancient history, languages and culture!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit