If your thinking about buying a Dell computer....

by RubyTuesday 41 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Dell make great computers ... and they listen - they recently moved a lot of their support back to the USA from India for instance because it wasn't up to scratch.

Only on the business line of computers (Optiplex, Latitude). The home lines (Dimension, Inspiron) are still in India I believe (unless you purchased Gold support).

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Dell uses many of the same components as everyone else... so there's no reason a Dell hard drive is any less reliable than one from Compaq, HP, etc. You are bound to have a certain failure rate with any computer line you purchase.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Okay, preface this by saying I totally love my Dell (Inspiron 8600) but... we had to have the motherboard replaced after having it only two weeks. The turn-around was quick, but what a PITA.

O

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think I will stick to building my own.

I absolutely hate being dependant on someone else to fix my computer. And I hate paying them to do it.

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I am kinda divided. I have owned a dell dimension 4600 for the past two months. The hardware is is pretty decent considering it was so cheap. Anway with the few problems I have had with it I am finding that the tech support is a joke. You make think that when you call tech support they are in a nice little building in the usa. They are not. Almost all of your calls are routed outside the US to india. I am sorry no offense to anyone here who is of a different cultural background, but the past two times I have called them, I have had difficulty understanding them. The last time I called I knew more about pc's than the tech. Solid machines built by Dell. Tech support is at best awful.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I use a Dell Latitude laptop for work. I have had it three years and will be replaced shortly. (IBM Stinkpads are the new company standard) I say I have had it three years but little if any of it is part of the original. Like many at work the fan was replaced after becoming excessively noisy, the mother board and hard drive were replaced. After that I had the whole thing exchaned keeping only the hard drive. Other than that it is quite a good PC, my only gripe is that you can't it turn it on without opening it, a pain when you use a docking station underneath a monitor. It does seem to have occasional problems when I switch to standby, so I can disconnect and reconnect to a network. Oh, another thing, sometimes it reboots when I plug the Ethernet cable in.

I also have a Dell desktop at home. I have not had any problems with it.

3rd

• scotsman
    scotsman

Hi Ruby

Just noticed a headline in a paper that said Dell's profits have gone up by 24%. They should last long enough to sort out your company's computer probs.

• scotsman
  • scotsman
    scotsman

Ruby

You're either a prophetess or a witch*! I'm having probs with the motherboard on one of my Dell laptops. I'll let you know how Dell fare in their response.

Euan.

*as in spells, not lesbian!

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Our company gives out nice prizes for employee of the month. This monday it was me and guess what I got...a Dell Latitude D600 laptop!! Oh well...it was free...just hope that I don't have any problems and have to call tech support.

Sorry to hear that scotsman..hope it goes smoothly for you.

Didn't know witch meant les....hmmmm ....I have been called "witch" many times before(and worse...lol)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit