If your thinking about buying a Dell computer....

by RubyTuesday 41 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

I phoned Dell for a price on a computer and the call went all the way to Malaysia which is where they answer there calls. That put me off straight away. Barry

• Atilla
    Atilla

Don't Go There-get a MEPS computer, they work great except that they only have one program and when you go to do a search say on 1975, you will only get 6 hits and they will be about some random event in 1975-not what dubs really thought was going to actually happen in 1975. Actually the Compaq X1000 notebook is really cool.

• TD
    TD

That's too bad. Computer problems of any kind are a real pain in the behind.

My company uses nothing but Dell. I've purchased three 4600's in the last week alone. (For new employees, not as replacements)

Dells are the brains in some of the super expensive CNC equipment that we use as well. The only problem we've had of any kind with any of them is the CD ROM in a 4400 model had to be replaced.

Tom

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Rumor has it that they are going bankrupt.

Not likely. In the news today: Dell posts record 4th Quarter; sales up 26%.

Why don't you call customer service and ask to speak to a supervisor and outline your problems to them? They may surprise you. Despite what we all learned in the borg, PEOPLE ARE USUALLY NICE.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

And I really loved that Dell Dude! What a idiot!@

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Our whole company switched over to Dell about six months ago. I haven't heard of many issues at all. I think they're much better than IBM Stinkpads.

• Simon
    Simon

Dell make great computers ... and they listen - they recently moved a lot of their support back to the USA from India for instance because it wasn't up to scratch.

I've had a Dell laptop (quite old now) but it's been a great machine and they have provided great service - I'd definitely buy from them again.

• Princess
    Princess

I hate computers in general. However, my new Dell is sooooo much better than my old Gateway. When we called to order, it was answered right here in the states. Arrived a week sooner than they estimated and was very easy to get up and running.

So far, so good. I'm purchasing the extended warranty though, just in case.

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

i guess i've heard mixed reviews on the Dell computers. my sister and her husband have nothing but Dell's in their house and they love them. a friend at work bought one, i went over to help her set it up and the hard drive was shot--she had to call. they sent a tech out to replace it. that was a bummer. my mom has worked in the computer field a bit in the last few months and said that they're known for having problems with hard drives, at least the businesses that have used them in their area. sounds like it's all just a toss up and luck of the draw.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I've only had one name brand computer, an HP and it wasn't very good. I've built all the other ones I've had and had very few problems. I change computers about every two years or so and pass the old one's down to my grandkids.

Ken P.

My daughter has a Dell, no problems so far that I know of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit