Non-JW dating a JW? (sorry for it again!)

by redbull 6 Replies latest social relationships

• redbull
    redbull

Hi all

This post is again about the subject of a non-JW dating a JW. However, I would first like to say that I am new to this forum and have really appreciated all the comments that have helped me better understand the problems with this kind of relationship. So thank you everyone. This is again very similar to the post by Llama (see: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/63407/1.ashx). Apologies to those who are getting fed up with this topic, but I would love to hear your opinions more personally.

A few months ago I met a gorgeous JW girl. We really hit it off, in fact, i dont think i've ever got on with someone so well. I knew she was a JW pretty much immediately as her sister worked at the same place as me. However it wasnt until a couple of weeks ago that I found out she fancied me. I felt the same way. I thought great, we can go out, have some fun and see what happens. I didnt see her for about a week as I was away on holiday so wasnt able to talk to her about things, during which I thought about her non-stop. A few days after coming back we eventually have the "talk" face-to-face. She told me not only that she really liked me & that she thought we could really get serious, but also that I was the 1st non-JW that she had liked this way! I felt exactly the same. All good so far. Until she told me about her relationship history. She had never gone out with a non-JW before, and told me that she had decided long before she had met me that she would never do. I was, as you can expect, gutted.

I dont really have any strong religious views. At the time I knew very little about what JWs believe. I couldnt see a problem with us going out, we hadnt ever spoken about religion before, why would it matter now? For the last couple of weeks I have been really down, I always see things in black & white.. if 2 people like each other, why cant they go out? I tried to understand her reason that she wanted to be with someone that she could share her religious beliefs with (ie. her whole life). I still couldnt see the problem.... until now.

I have spoken to a couple of friends about the situation & they have helped me broaden my very lacklustre knowledge of the difference between Christianity and the JW organisation. They have been great. They have said if you really like her, which I do, then stay with it, maybe she will change her mind. She attends 3 meeting a week. There are signs that she might be confused. I mean shes only 20 for a start. Her mum only became a JW when her mum re-married when she was about 8, so i presume she has been with them since around then. I am not sure if she is baptised yet or not. About 10 months ago her sister was a fully committed JW. She met a guy and a few months ago she stopped going to meetings, moved out of home & is getting married next year. However she and her sister still get on with each other really well, but according to the JW way, should she not "shun" her as she has left the organisation? I think she is scared of what happened to her sister, and is worried that the same thing could happen to her, meaning giving up her life as she knows it and starting a new life. She says most of the people she knows our JWs so this would be very difficult for her.

Its really hard to just leave this as it is, even though I know I should, but I'm only 21 and have never liked someone like this before. When she told me that we couldnt go out, I was gutted but not angry. We ended up talking & cuddling each other for 5 hrs. It just felt right. I'm just really confused now. I'm tryin to stay as close 2 her as poss, and maybe I can make her see sense, but how? I hope you know what I mean, and I know most of you will say dont bother etc but there must be a way?! I'm rambling now... I cant believe I've written so much... sorry.

Anyway I would like to again say thanks to people on this forum, it is helped me to understand a lot about JWs. I feel especially for Dayshdees (from article: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/64965/1.ashx), with all that he has been through & wish him luck for the future.

If you got down to here.... you deserve a medal! Thanks for reading it.

• lazuli
    lazuli

I'm new to this forum too, and my situation is very similar, excpet he's the JW. Anyway, I really can't give much advice, but this is only the tip of the iceberg. I've been with by JW bf for 4 months, and our relationship is hidden. His dad can't find out, so we have to sneak around, which gets tiring after a while. He's asked me to consider studying with them, I'm not really religously affiliated either, and I really don't think I belong in the WT, I just have very different views. But if u like this girl a lot, don't let the WT get in your way. If u know u really want to have something with her go for it. See the elders are the ones that basically decide upon right and wrong, but don't let them interfere with your relationship, in the end, its just about the 2 of you, and not a bunch of people that like to decide upon other peoples life and limit their happiness. Hopefully, she won't let them influence her, never pressure her to get out though, or bombard her with info, thats not good, she has to find out for herself. Good luck! oh yeah, tryto set things straight from the beginning, it gets really complicated if u don't and can cause some serious damage...i speak from experience :) if there's anything else just PM me :)

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm sorry for you two. Hormones/love is strong, but the wt religion will always be a barrier, unless it is deprogrammed in the jw, whether he/she is active in it or not. It's like an animal that retreats for a while, or even hibernates for periods, but is never gone until it is hunted down and killed. Unless youse are willing to go through the agony of living w a third party, the wt animal, and constantly being on guard/fighting it; or you are willing to see through a deprogramming, then imo, you would be better off opting out. One other possibility is to become a jw yourselves, let the borg assimilate you. Good luck, anyway.

SS

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am a non-JW married to a JW. Guys, it would be nice to think it is just between the two of you, but take it from somebody who knows, if you involve yourself with a witness, you are automatically involved in a threesome. The WTBTS involves itself in every aspect of a JW's life. What to think, what to wear, which sexual positions are approved. A good test for anybody dating a JW is to ask to meet the parents. That can be a real eye-opener on where you fit on their priority list.

No offence, but I think I have one advantage over both of you. Before I met my husband, I was well-versed on Christian doctrine and what I believed. It was relatively easy for me to spot what is so dreadfully wrong with the way a JW orders his/her life. I won't get sucked in. Also, there are no children in the works between us, so there is no chance of producing a generation of confused and conflicted children. A child raised JW will think their non-JW parent is slated for death. A terrifying image to raise a child with.

Here are two threads that are a must-read.

Boy Meets Worldly Girl http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/63053/1.ashx

Read this thread below. My friend Concerned Mama swears every non-JW involved romantically with a JW should have to read this. It is not an unusual situation.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/64494/1.ashx

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Welcome to the forum, redbull. I can empathize with your confusion as my daughter had a JW boyfriend for 2 years. Trust me, you are better not even starting to go out with her, because the mixed relationships tend to end in heartbreak. For example, read the posts of "another guy".

Have a look at this site: http://members.aol.com/beyondjw/inlove.htm

Read this forum and www.freeminds.org for more information on this religion/cult. Remember she has a lot to lose by going out with you. There are some watchtower quotes in this thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/66221/1027020/post.ashx#1027020

More information for new poster. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/58215/863175/post.ashx#863175

There are really nice people who are JWs , but as long as that organization has a hold on them, they aren't free to live their own lives. Protect yourself.

Let us know when you need more information .

• Another Guy
    Another Guy

Well I guess it's my turn now,

Let's just say your post is basically my story to the letter, We've been apart since new years eve and i'm still not recovering.

Please read my two post's, they're not the full story but I decided to release part 3 of the series tonight. If you wanna know more detail pm me and i'll help you all I can, I might have a few tips on what to and not to do.

Well here they are, they give you most of the story:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/61246/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/64338/1.ashx

PS. Planet Shakers ROCK!!!!!!!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

jgnat,

I have never thought of a relationship between a JW and a non-JW being like an automatic threesome with the WTB&TS. As an afterthought that might explain why when I was a JW, it was so hard on my non-JW girlfriends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit