USA Election 2004

by Simon 242 Replies latest social current

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Sure you don't work for Fox or CRP? Because with your debating style, you could actually be...

MY GOD! IT'S KARL ROVE!

Quick! Bar the door! Get him!

Dude, I have never argued with that figure... I have taken issue with many other statements of yours, which you choose not to reply to. As far as I can tell you have never given me credit for anything, except for that one time that you thought I was apologizing to you instead of LittleToe. The people in the US seem to be reacting to the job losses and the changing makeup of the employment picture in this country - which they don't like. I've never said that the economy is dying, and I've never said that 5.6 isn't better than at other times in history (Yes, things have sucked worse at other times - compared to those times, 5.6 is pretty good). However, the job-loss trend, especially considering what Shrub started with, is undoubtedly what is causing uncertainty with the American people, as demonstrated by consumer confidence numbers. His only hope is to get enough job growth to avoid what happened to 41. The fiasco with the recently-discounted '04 job growth estimates could have been worse, as the chart I posted indicates...

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION: JANUARY 2004

Employment rose in January, and the unemployment rate, at 5.6 percent, was
    little changed, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor
    reported today. Nonfarm payroll employment increased by 112,000, with job gains
    in construction and several service-providing industries. Manufacturing employ-
    ment continued to trend down, but the rate of job loss has moderated in recent
    months.

Unemployment (Household Survey Data)

The number of unemployed persons was 8.3 million in January and the
    unemployment rate was 5.6 percent, seasonally adjusted. While little changed
    over the month, both measures were down from their recent highs in June 2003,
    when the unemployment rate was 6.3 percent. Unemployment rates for most major
    worker groups--adult men (5.1 percent), adult women (5.0 percent), teenagers
    (16.7 percent), whites (4.9 percent), and blacks (10.5 percent)--were little
    changed in January. The unemployment rate for Hispanics rose to 7.3 percent
    over the month, about the same rate as last fall. The unemployment rate for
    Asians was 5.2 percent in January, not seasonally adjusted. (See tables A-1,
    A-2, and A-3.)

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Yet again, the Bush tax cuts and economic strategy, while not meeting projections, are still resulting in a very low unemployment rate. To take raw numbers of unemployed, rather than a percentage of the population, is dishonest at best, politically motivated at worst.

In the end, it all comes down to voting for the lesser evil. That would clearly be Bush.

Question: How will raising taxes create jobs? How will raising taxes help the economy?

Answer: It won't, and that's why Bush will be re-elected in November.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Glad to see you finally responded to all those... oh, wait, you didn't.

What men really want is not knowledge but certainty.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

• Farkel
    Farkel

seattleniceperson,

: So, please keep your obviously prejudiced opinions to yourself and don't use your influence on this board to tell we [sic] American's [sic] who's NOT the best candidate to lead us.

I made my point, despite the typos. I know better, and you are not my grammar teacher and you are not my nanny. Let's get to work.

You said:

: I hope you realize how "obviously prejudiced" your own comments sound. You seem to insinuate that only Americans have the right to render opinions on American politics,

This part I understand. Anyone in any free Country can utter any free speech they want (unless they cry "fire" in a theatre or other such obvious abuses of free speech.)

This part is a bit cryptic for me:

:or at the very least, that no foreigner in a perceived position of authority has that right.

What is a "foreigner in a perceived position of authority," anyway? Would that be Simon?

Whomever that person is, I do have a problem with foreigners who have "authority" like Simon using that "authority" as a soapbox in an attempt (possibly) to attempt to change the opinion of genuine American voters. I don't have a problem with them speaking their mind, but I do have a problem with them using a massively influential board like this as their soapbox.

Just call me old fashioned, but let the scumbags fight it out among themselves, and (this is only my opinion) let the dub discussion boards watch and comment whilst the scumbags fight it out amongst themselves.

I'm not the least bit happy with George W. lately. His latest stand on amending the Constitution over gay stuff really has my blood boiling. How DARE he mess with that document over some stupid social issue? Good news is: it will never be ratified. Bad new is: Bush is pandering to the morons nearly as much as Kerry.

Who do we pick? Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum?

Nadar? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

I'm frightened over all of this crap. Where is Thomas Jefferson when we need him?

Farkel

• talesin
    talesin
    you are not my grammar teacher and you are not my nanny. Let's get to work.

this is a great line - can I use it?

As for Nader, WTH is he thinking? Oh, I'll just go ahead and waste another bunch of votes. Der!

If I was American, I'd be scared, too. lol

As I was when Mulroney was Prime Minister of Canada. The lunatics are running the asylum.

Truth be told, being next door makes me a little queasy ... those living next to a giant must walk softly ... and carry a BIG stick.

What's in the cards for Canada? Now that we've taken an (independent) stance? Economic overthrow? Military didn't work (War of 1812, I believe), but we've got all this WATER and LUMBER and OPEN SPACE. It must look pretty attractive to some of the 'powers that be' down south.

*shrug* Oh well, there's always emigration to Oz ... (note to self: must work on visa)

t

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper
    *shrug* Oh well, there's always emigration to Oz ... (note to self: must work on visa)

Mine arrived in Adelaide last Thursday!

The immigration service web site is really good and you can download all of the forms you need http://www.immi.gov.au/

• talesin
    talesin

Right on, Slh, you're a smart little devil!

There's something to be said for being part of the Commonwealth.

Happy Trails!

t

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Phantom,

I responded fully. Is there something in particualr you are looking for? Incidentally, you did not answer my question: How will Democrats raising taxes help stir the economy and create jobs? I know why you didn't answer- because it won't. Kerry would send the economy into a nose dive, as well as taking more of the money those of us who work earn, out of our pockets. How could anyone vote for that? I know- "Anyone but Bush", right?

"To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father?s has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association?the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it." -Thomas Jefferson
  • Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Czar,

Are you prepared to pay 50% plus of your income in taxes if national health care is added? Before you get all hyped on government run health care, come see what we in the military get for treatment...or at the VA...etc...the government has a tendency to screw up wet dreams.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Let's all go to Dunkin donuts and each order a donut and a cup of coffee. We can sit there, hash this all out...solve all the worlds problems...and be home in time to watch the 6 oclock news.

Simon...how about once a week you start a new thread so that we can have some semblance of order to these discussion.

I interviewed an insurance agent for my Catholic Men's club...he asked, Hey, what's the death rate around here?" I told him, " Same as everywhere else, one per person."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit