Are You Still Torn, Wondering Whether You Made The Right Decision To Leave?

by minimus 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Perhaps only 50% sure. Just like anything in life, it's not all good and it's not all bad.

For this reason alone, I think a very slow fade works out well for me. I'm sure as time goes by I'll fee more sure of my decision.

DY

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

No doubts, but it can be hard with no support in a small town where you see the dubbs network of support. even though you know you are right, they support each other in groups, they try hard to put on airs of being happy in front of you, and you know it is crap, but by being a witness for years you have cut out any support long ago by nonwitnesses.you are in a limbo and it takes time to start new friendships, but nothing worth having comes cheep or easy.

• Prudence
    Prudence

I am 100% sure that I made the correct decision and

I'll never go back.

• core
    core
    it can be hard with no support in a small town where you see the dubbs network of support. even though you know you are right, they support each other in groups, they try hard to put on airs of being happy in front of you, and you know it is crap, but by being a witness for years you have cut out any support long ago by nonwitnesses.you are in a limbo and it takes time to start new friendships, but nothing worth having comes cheep or easy.

No doubts only regrets that it was so late in life - Kilroys comments above are 100% accurate - you leave into a limbo with no help, support, family, friends - all sacrificed to the God Printing - but it does improve over time.

• Bohemian
    Bohemian

This is my first post since, finally, signing up as a member. I perused the site while I was still in considerable confusion and trying to decide what to do. My reply to the question has to be yes, I am still torn. But only because my son is still very deeply enmeshed in the organization and is married into a family of Jehovah's Witnesses. He has cut off all contact with me and has assured me that if and when he has children I will not be allowed to see them or be a part of their lives. That's actually more like having your heart torn out rather than just being "torn". During the past few years I have been through more emotional and physical turmoil than I could possibly go into here, but it culminated in a very serious, and nearly successful suicide attempt. I'm sure you can imagine the reaction of the elders and the congregation as a whole when my daughter-in-law informed them all of that. That was almost a year and a half ago. During the past few months I have spent considerable time in personal study using multiple translations of the Bible and comparing the scriptures to The New World Translation of JWs. That, along with lengthy Bible discussions with a couple of neighbors and information gathered from sites like this one, has convinced me that leaving a judgmental, pharisaic, self-serving, sanctimonious organization could only be a major life improvement. By doing so I have lost the only friends I have and my son. I am still trying to discover where I belong and where I should be going to worship. I feel a deep emptiness at having no place to meet with like-minded people to worship God, but I'm still searching, asking questions, and holding fast to the hope that I will find that place. So (after much rambling) my ultimate answer is an oxymoronic, "Yes I know I made the right decision and yes I am still torn."

And by the way, hello to all.

• minimus
    minimus

Bohemian----THANK YOU for sharing that first insightful post with us! Believe me, you are making the right decision but it's got to terribly hurt. Please know you are among friends and support.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

No. Nuff said.

Kate

• minimus
    minimus

It saddens me when I see some go back to the organization, especially because we have exposed that this is not the "truth". What is more bothersome is when I see Watchtower apologists IGNORE everything that is wrong with the organization and defend the teachings of this man made religion.

• Robdar
    Robdar

It was because I was feeling torn a couple of years ago that I typed "jehovah's witness" into the search engine and I found the link for JWD. What I read here, tore me up and pissed me off. Since finding this site, I have no doubt that I did the right thing in leaving the tower.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Welcome aboard, Bohemian. Since you're already searching the scriptures, you might really enjoy the audio experiences on "jwinfoline" and "Tower to Truth" sites. They're great! Very, very upbuilding to me as I heal.

Best to you! And I hope we hear more from you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit