Correlation decline JW numbers and JW broadcasting?

by Gorbatchov 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I think that for a "normal" organization, a broadcasting channel would be an asset.

The problem with jw.org is that all the craziness, underperformance and lack of education comes to light, and the presentation doesn't fit with the rank-and-file view of the organization. The "sphere" were the average JW is psychically in, doesn't match with wat they see on Broadcasting.

For example the JW choir, is something that doesn't fit with the regular JW thinking.

And the proof of 1914 either.

Fun topic, if it was not so tragic!

Gorby

• Simon
    Simon

There is an overall movement in society to people being less religious as atheism grows. If large mainstream church attendance is shrinking then it seems reasonable that a small group like JWs would also be hit as well.

There's also the current pope to consider - he's made Catholicism less uncool and disaffected Catholics were the typical targets of JW recruitment.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

"We love this teaching" was said during the AGM where the new light about the identity of the FDS was first expounded. I think it was said by David Splane. In 2013, maybe...?

Eden

• done4good
    done4good

"We love this teaching"

WTF???

How about...

"We love this coffee cup"

"We love this requisition process"

"We love this new instant replay rule change in baseball"

How silly and petty.

That statement speaks volumes. I would like to know specifically where/when it was said.

d4g

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    "We love this teaching" was said during the AGM where the new light about the identity of the FDS was first expounded. I think it was said by David Splane. In 2013, maybe...?
    Eden

Yes. I think the term he used was, 'we love this IDEA.' which is even more telling than 'teaching'. Sorry, I don't have the link.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    The problem with jw.org is that all the craziness, underperformance and lack of education comes to light, and the presentation doesn't fit with the rank-and-file view of the organization. The "sphere" were the average JW is psychically in, doesn't match with wat they see on Broadcasting

I think a lot of JWs see the problems locally and have convinced themselves that this is not because of the organization but because of "imperfect men" or because people aren't applying the watchtower's rules in the way they're meant or something like that. When they're faced with the reality - that the problems at a local level would probably be worse if they ran things in the true spirit of how the GB means them - it's certainly going to be a test of their faith.

They want to think that they don't understand the explanation of the overlapping generation, that it must make sense but they just aren't clever enough to work it out. Then they see splane's little chart and it makes it clear as day that it just doesn't make sense.

They want to believe that begging for money or passing out slips for people to fill in how much they can afford to give is a local problem or perhaps just their congregation is low on funds until they see Lett spend an hour begging for money.

They want to believe that child abuse issues are few and far between. That they're due to a few bad elders that didn't understand the rules, and then Morris gets up there and talks about how proud they are about their record on child abuse and goes on to blame the problem on homosexuals, completely missing the true issue.

They want to believe that inane rules about dress, grooming, pilgrimage to bethel, etc are just being pushed by local hard-core elders that have had a little too much power given to them to express their own views, then Morris gets up there and does his tight pants rant, and tells people that they should go to bethel before they go to another theme park.

I've seen it a number of times - you point to something messed up in some literature and they'll explain it away as being more moderate than it really is. I think a lot will have trouble as the illusions they've made to feel ok with their cult are destroyed by the role that the GB is now taking.

• Splash
    Splash
    "We love this teaching!" I would like to know specifically where/when it was said.

It's from the 2012 AGM, here at 7:00 - 7:20 by David Splane:

http://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODProgramsEvents/docid-702012022_1_VIDEO

"And so the Great Crowd and the Anointed are all domestics. We are all domestics. And brothers, we love this teaching. We love this idea."

• done4good
    done4good

Spot on OEJ. Good post.

d4g

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Could there be a correlation between this decline and the start of JW Broadcasting?

Actually from what I hear from JWS when I do talk to them, they seemed to be very pumped and

enthusiast to how the WTS has gone into being technologically advanced, including JW broadcast.... etc.

This includes whats going on at Assemblies and Kingdom Halls these days.

Now God's spiritual message of destruction and annihilation toward his earthly chosen seers

is so quick and more advanced than ever before.

Its likely that Jah would use the most advanced technology to spread his message to his faithful and devoted ones this way.

• freddo
    freddo

I'm not sure whether GBbroadcasting is a just a joke, just incredibly embarrassing, just plain crazy or just financially mad.

1. God answers prayers to find leaky water pipes to convince your mate to be a jw.

2. The dancing literature "if you could see what I could see" cart.

3. The generation chart.

4. Herd's clunking great Rolex and the GB's "man jewellery" while asking for donations.

It's either run by the most proud, stubborn blithering idiots with followers that have an "emperors clothes" complex or it's done by the cleverest apostates in history!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit