How to debunk the 1914 calculus ONLY using JW publications?

by psyco 208 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    The said scholar just loves to help the little people

A topic title like this is an invitation, isn’t it?

owyergoinmate?

i’m “persevering” but age takes its toll, eh? You?

Cheers, 0zzie 🍷

• scholar
    scholar

ozziepopst

How ya going mate!

Hope you are well and going strong

Talking about age I am approaching 76 years but keeping in reasonable health so far as posting on this forum keeps me mentally fit as I do battle with our critics.

Have a drink on me and Good Health to you

Cheers, scholar JW

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

@scholar

Talking about age I am approaching 76 years

Seems i’m ahead of you but only just.

Methinks we can still teach the young ‘uns a thing or two, eh?

🍷

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Page 4 of this topic thread made claims of a translation of VAT4956. For comparison, note that regarding the translation of VAT4956 https://books.google.com/books?id=ETx7DQAAQBAJ&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=translation+from+German+to+English+of+VAT4956&source=bl&ots=IaXsm_rUcm&sig=ACfU3U3CtNxLJYuuZy5M-09xQjszOV1Lkw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiat4SNoqb9AhWkFFkFHfJVDHgQ6AF6BAgBEAE mentions some of those who translated it.

Regarding comments about servitude versus exile, which have been made in this topic forum, I ask where did the servitude of Jews to Babylon take place? Did it take place in Judah or did it take it place in Babylon, or did it take place in both locations, or did it take place elsewhere? I see no contradiction when people say the servitude of Jews to Babylon took place in Babylon. Likewise I see no contradiction when people say the servitude of Jews to Babylon took place in Judah. I think the servitude to Babylon took place in both locations. However, I have not done much reading about this in the Bible, and my memory of what I read about it is weak. I do know that the book of Daniel (whether historical or not) makes the claim of Daniel being in servitude to the king of Babylon while in Babylon. I also know that the King of Babylon appointed a Jew to be king in Jerusalem (before Jerusalem was destroyed) and thus that particular king in Jerusalem served the king of Babylon and thus was in servitude to Babylon. Note that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylonian_captivity says the following.

"In the fourth year of Nebuchadnezzar II's reign, Jehoiakim refused to pay further tribute, which led to another siege of the city in Nebuchadnezzar II's seventh year (598/597 BCE) that culminated in the death of Jehoiakim and the exile to Babylonia of his successor Jeconiah, his court, and many others; Jeconiah's successor Zedekiah and others were exiled when Nebuchadnezzar II destroyed Jerusalem in his 18th year (587 BCE), and a later deportation occurred in Nebuchadnezzar II's 23rd year (582 BCE). However, the dates, numbers of deportations, and numbers of deportees vary in the several biblical accounts.

.... The city fell on 2 Adar (March 16) 597 BCE,[11] and Nebuchadnezzar pillaged Jerusalem and its Temple and took Jeconiah, his court and other prominent citizens (including the prophet Ezekiel) back to Babylon.[12] Jehoiakim's uncle Zedekiah was appointed king in his place, but the exiles in Babylon continued to consider Jeconiah as their Exilarch, or rightful ruler."

Note that a deportation to Babylon and exile in Babylon for some began in 597 BCE, and note that 597 BCE to 537 BCE is 60 years, and that 60 years is half way in length between 50 years (which many non-Jws claim is the length of the exile) and 70 years (which many JWs claim was the length of the exile). also note that were multiple deportations.

Regarding the claim (made in this topic thread) that "... that the Land of Judah was desolate during the Exile of 70 years ..." the above mentioned Wikipedia article says the following. "Archaeological studies have revealed that, although the city of Jerusalem was utterly destroyed, other parts of Judah continued to be inhabited during the period of the exile." Note that modern science conclusively shows that parts of Judah were inhabited during the exile.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    It seems your whole basis for 607 is your insistence that the bible mentions a 70 year exile?
    ---
    Correct. In addition, the fact that the 70 years is also descriptive of a period of servitude to Babylon and that the Land of Judah was desolate during the Exile of 70 years.

Well anyone who relies on interpreting the bible and not actual evidence is the one misled. Most on here now follow the path of looking at the evidence without cognitive dissonance and then conclude.

That conclusion is the bible is not a holy book and is wrong in many things thus relying on it to come up with dates is incredibly "un-scholar like".

Thank you for admitting your whole point of view on 607 is based on a belief rather than evidence.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Why does everyone seem to want to forget Gedaliah? He was a notable Jew who governed Judah and invited the people to live in security and plant crops? If there was a "starting point" for "empty land" it would have to be after his assassination........just saying.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

So, 70 (CE) doesn’t ironize the 70 year desolation? The king of Babylon came in and razed Jerusalem, burned down the temple and stole the holy icons and the ark of the covenant and the Jews stayed in their homeland. The Aramaic books of the Bible and the work of Ezra can be explained away, Elvis is alive, they didn’t land on the moon, the earth is flat, JFK plot, like a conspiracy theory against what the Bible says over and over again that the Jews spent 70 years in Babylon.

• Splash
    Splash

Thanks Scholar for your reply to this little person.
    Please educate me some more.

You said "Your methodology is flawed as it does not account for the biblical-historical period of the 70 years which is unaccounted for in the scheme of NB Period which you have taken from the Insight volumes."

So I pointed out that using the Insight chronology (not really my methodology to be fair) of one king after another, using the Insight volume reign lengths, Jerusalem fell in 587BCE.

Where do these extra 70 years that you insist on come in, in the Insight books?
    I went back and reread them and no kings were missing and there was no mention of dropping in an extra 70 years somewhere or other.

Are the Insight books wrong or missing something, because the simple sums from there lead me to 587BCE?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Sometimes it's best for apologists to quit while they're ahead.

• scholar
    scholar

Beth Sarim

Sometimes it's best for apologists to quit while they're ahead.

---

The said scholar is no quitter.

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit