How to debunk the 1914 calculus ONLY using JW publications?

by psyco 208 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• psyco
    psyco

I remember having read somewhere, but I cannot find it anymore, that it is possible to debunk the 1914 calculus using ONLY JW publications, like "Insight on the Scriptures" (chronologies) for example.

Do you have any sources about that to suggest to me?

Thanks.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why would you want to debunk 1914?

I thought the objective was to set them straight that Jerusalem wasn't destroyed in 607 but in 587.

That is not debunking 1914, because while Jerusalem was destroyed in 587, Jesus still became king in 1914.

• TD
    TD

I believe it was being called the "KISS" method years ago.

The average JW can't follow it and their internet apologists won't accept it, but for whatever it's worth:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/55372/586-587-k-approach-no-vat4956-ptolemy-josephus-needed

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    That is not debunking 1914, because while Jerusalem was destroyed in 587, Jesus still became king in 1914.

Good lord. So you already have a new chronology? Just need to lose 20 years somewhere I suppose.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

here is my thought using the Bible: 1 Cor 11:25,26 did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal saying: " This cup means the new covenant ( Matt 26:28 tells us the new covenant is for forgiveness of sins Of the MANY, not the gathering of future Kings with Jesus ) by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, UNTIL HE COMES.

If he came in 1914, why are they having a memorial? If you look up resurrection , trumpet sounding, judgement day and last day and follow it through, there isn't going to be a resurrection until the last day-when Jesus returns...and that debunks that the "anointed" who die go to heaven immediately. (The JW teach we are in the last of the last of the last days, but we aren't at the last day yet...

• scholar
    scholar

Rattigan350

I thought the objective was to set them straight that Jerusalem wasn't destroyed in 607 but in 587.

--

This is nonsense because such dogmatism about 587 BCE as the date for the Fall of Jerusalem is not universally supported by current scholarship. Leading scholars including biblical historians, archaeologists, chronologists etc endorse 586 BCE and not 587 BCE.

WT scholars have traditionally provided simple and compelling evidence based on the recognition of the 70 years of Jewish Exile and the fact that Judah was desolate for 70 years proved beyond doubt that the only possible date for the Fall of Jerusalem was 607 BCE.

scholar JW

• St George of England
    St George of England

I think what you are referring to is a video on YouTube. There are several variations of this but they all start at 539 BCE and work backwards to Neb'r and then down to 586/7 BCE. This is probably the one you have in mind:-

https://youtu.be/zaondf42rXE

George

• scholar
    scholar

St George of England

think what you are referring to is a video on YouTube. There are several variations of this but they all start at 539 BCE and work backwards to Neb'r and then down to 586/7 BCE. This is probably the one you have in mind:-

--

This video along with many others of similar ilk shows a flawed methodology. The presenter simply presents the agreed NB Dynasty with its total reigns of 66 years from which it is deduced that the Fall of Jerusalem fell in Neb's19 th year as 586/587 BCE. Notice that using such methodology alone does not give a precise year for the Fall of Jerusalem during Neb's reign. Further, such methodology fails to synchronize the NB record with the biblical record which in contrast by means of the biblical-historic period of 'the 70 years' computes a precise date for the Fall of Jerusalem as 607 BCE.

The major commonality between this presentation and that of the referred WT source publication is that both methodologies agree as to a common base point as the Fall of Babylon in 539 BCE. Now, in keeping with the quoted KISS principle in the video, we can easily agree that the Jews returned home from their Exile in Babylon in 537 BCE and if we agree that the Exile was of a duration of 70 years as stated by Jeremiah, Daniel, Ezra and Josephus then their Exile must have begun in 607 BCE which is consistent with the event of Neb's destruction of Jerusalem. KISS!!!

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

🤦‍♂️ round and round we go

The Jews arrived in 538 BCE based on comparison of Ezra and Josephus. In any case there’s no basis for the dogmatic claim that it was 537 BCE.

Attention to the Jews’ return world explicitly be given after Babylon’s 70 years had been fulfilled.

Serving Babylon was explicitly the way to avoid exile.

The Bible never mentions 70 years of exile.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    WT scholars have traditionally provided simple and compelling evidence based on the recognition of the 70 years of Jewish Exile and the fact that Judah was desolate for 70 years proved beyond doubt that the only possible date for the Fall of Jerusalem was 607 BCE.
    I agree without a doubt. 1. 539 is a historical fact and the end of the 70 years exile, minus 2 years or so for traveling back and other factors. Nothing could be simpler.
    (What convinces me it is 607 and not 608 or 609 is WWI, Nation against Nation. ) JW view 1914 as a historical fact that Jesus became king. Given the 70 years desolation of Judah, 607 is indisputable. I think that archeology will vindicate the date if gt doesn’t come sooner.
    The Bible never mentions 70 years of exile.

It does.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit