Do you still believe in God?

by IT Support 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I was asked the question WHY -- do I only just about belive in God. I am not an atheist yet -- I think I still believe in God -- I certainly no longer believe that any organized religion has a monopoly on being right -- but I have read around the subject of God and religion in the last few years that I now question everything -- and that I am afraid includes the existence of God -- hope that answers your question WHY

• Carmel
    Carmel

For 15 years postJW I considered myself agnostic. Seven years of university education and a lot of reading led me to believe in an intelegince behind the ordered universe. No definition of my own is adequate to describe the unknown. Only came to an intellectual definition of he diety when I joined a faith that believed in an "unknowable essence" as God.

carmel

• Sirona
    Sirona

IT Support

My faith in God (and Goddess) stemmed from a lot of delving into ALL religions and ideas, asking God to direct me to my path, then actually allowing that to open my eyes to many things.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not criticising you, but isn't that in itself rather circular, asking God to direct your path, if you're not convinced he/she/it even exists...?

Yes, I can see what you mean there, I guess I didn't express myself too well. I did already believe in God when I left the WTS. I knew a "higher being" existed and therefore I set out to find Him (or Her, LOL). So therefore when I asked to be directed it was out of an existing faith. I tried Christian churches before moving onto other religions.

So with you, even if you don't believe in God, you can still seek "your path". I believe we all have a life path and that one of our challenges is to find it and live it. Some people's path involves being atheist, and that is OK by God (IMHO I would guess)

I say, break away from the biblical idea of God for a bit and see where that takes you,

Sirona

• IT Support
    IT Support

Valis,

In a fantsy world it would be great it you could have a deity that would at least talk back to you or show you some irrefutable proof.

Good point, thanks.

Ken

• IT Support
    IT Support

happehanna,

since I left JWs I haven't thought about such a basic fundamental. I shall now though.

I'm in a similar situation, having recently left. I'd be interested to hear of your eventual conclusions...

Regards,

Ken

• IT Support
    IT Support

James,

A good place to start is with books about the history of God(s).

Any suggestions?

It is a journey to discover what is at the Center of our Being.

Are you saying that there is a divinity with each one of us? Are there any links to web sites for further reading?

No church or religion needed for this.

I wouldn't have expected otherwise...

attention to Life brings a natural sense of respect, honesty, beauty, love and peace.

I can understand that. Thank you for your post. Regards, Ken

• Sirona
    Sirona

IT Support

It is possible to speak to a deity and have that deity reply. Encountering a Goddess (or God) is an unmistakeable experience.

Don't abandon the search because of other people's narrow views.

Sirona

• IT Support
    IT Support

gmfh,

I do simply because of the marvleous designs of many of natures creatures and our own human bodies! I really can't believe that all of these things occurred on there own. However on the same line of thought how would an intelligant creature leave us on this planet to destroy ourselves and make our lives miserable. And why would such an intelligent all knowing designer need to have a "religon" to worship him, or a "bible" to learn about him. It doesn't make sense.

All good points, I can't disagree with any of them.

pop some valley's and dans!

What are these??? Regards, Ken

• Special K
    Special K

Do I still believe in God..

Hmm..... I'm torn. I'm not sure. I'd like to believe in something higher than myself..

I could never ever believe in the "Jehovah God".. as the Jehovahs Witnesses teach. Their Jehovah has been ripped out of me.

sincerely

Special K

• IT Support
    IT Support

Freddy,

My thought is there is an energy force in this universe. And I do think it used an act of creation. Whether that act involved evolution, I am not sure. But I don't believe the bible account is factual. More mythilogical. Surrounding the truth or hiding it, who knows?

What made you come to this conclusion? (Regarding the Bible, I suspect you may be correct, but I'm just taking one step at a time..!)

are we dead when we die or does our God belief change this also?

If God is a supernatural person in 'heaven' then the concept of spirit creatures is within the boundaries of possibility: if there is no god, no divinity, no 'guiding force' beyond natural selection, then death probably is the end of our existence. Or do you think otherwise?

Thanks,

Ken

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit