Do you still believe in God?

by IT Support 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• IT Support
    IT Support

I'm a recent departee and am now re-evaluating all my previous beliefs and there's none more fundamental.

However, I'm not sure where to start: I'm sure I don't need to say there's an enormous amount of nonsense out there. Frankly, in spite of their other stupid teachings, I am considering reviewing again the articles in WT Library as I think they do try to sincerely prove the existence of God. Any thoughts?

Finally, may I ask whether you still believe in God? Why? Or why not?

Regards,

Ken

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I do not believe that the being or entity called "GoD" as defined in the bible exists. I do believe in A creator of the multiverse. I also believe that he/she/it IS the universe-multiverse. That is my short answer.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I think they do try to sincerely prove the existence of God. Any thoughts? Yes So did the folks that ran Jonestown & Koresh!!!! The former drank the coolaid- the latter burned in the fire. JW just become Robots. You must think the way the old men at Bethel say, you must watch how you walk ,watch how you talk, have to be convince Jesus came invisably in 1914- NO ONE COULD EVER SEE HIM!!!! You must believe what ever The old men say is fact- yet it can change at any time.... Yes I do believe in God But NOT the God o the Watch Tower. I believe that one is a judgemental god my GOD is loving me UNconditionally -HIS naame to me is JESUS!!!! Welcome to the site -Every one has to do what they think is best for them I suggest you read Crises of Conscience

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hello Ken,

Realistically, I don't. My main basis is the very history of the concept of God, which had a beginning (say, in the 6th century BC with Deutero-Isaiah = Isaiah 40-55), a limited geographical and cultural scope (following the development of Judaism, Christianity and Islam) and an end as far as mainstream Western culture is concerned (as finely expressed by Nietzsche). The metaphysical and scientific arguments are less relevant to me, just because they do not correspond with my frame of mind.

However, I am still interested in gods as subjects of mythology, and God as subject of theology, inasmuch as they are part of our cultural and literary inheritance.

I am sure the WT makes a sincere though shallow attempt at proving the existence of God, since it is an essential part of its power over people. However, to be honest to theism, I don't think it represents the best of philosophical arguments for the existence of God -- even though what I have seen elsewhere doesn't convince me either.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi IT

Yes, I do believe in God. I don't think that the Watchtower are very good at "proving" God exists because they use the famous circular reasoning "God exists because the bible says so, the Bible is right because God wrote it..." etc.

My faith in God (and Goddess) stemmed from a lot of delving into ALL religions and ideas, asking God to direct me to my path, then actually allowing that to open my eyes to many things. Take a look at all the good people out there, then look at the beauty of the world itself. A real, long look at those things. Don't let everyday life stop you from noticing the things that really matter. Keep an open mind, but don't believe everything you hear. Learn by yourself, you don't need anyone else to tell you who God is.

That said, some days I think I've got it figured out and something happens which shows that I know next to nothing about it all. There are no 100% infallible answers.

Sirona

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

JUST ABOUT

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I personally no longer believe in the biblical "God". I believe that there was a creator to all life but he/she/it has grown tired of us and has moved on to other things.

I also believe that there are several higher powers that do exist though. Other gods and goddesses and the such. I have no real firm proof of any of this mind you... its just a feeling that I have inside. It makes more sence to me to have several higher power beings in existance than just the one biblical "God".

Reasons I dont believe in the biblical god though are pretty easy. First of, the biblical god is one of humility and love right? Well.... how humble can someone be when he orders people throughout time to write a book about how good he is and all the things he has done for mankind so we would worship him? God is the only (if he exists) person in history to commit genocide more than once... all because people wouldnt follow him. What a god of love. eh? I can keep going and going but I think you get the gist.

Kansas District Overbeer

• Sassy
    Sassy

I do still believe in God. I do still believe the Bible is the word of God. I just do not believe that the only path to worshiping him is with the WTS. If it was, there would be that identifying mark of love, which we do not see. Many of their teachings are not consistant with God being a merciful God. For that reason I think there are other paths to get there. Just maybe it isn't with any organized religions. It seems to me they are all hypocritical..

• Sargon
    Sargon

Frankly I don't beleive in God or the Devil, so i'm rarely disappointed.

What tastes bad is not from Jehovah

I've got to disagree with a statement like this! Since He supposedly created all things, he must be responsible for Brussels Sprouts.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

It has been said:"No one can prove the existence of God,and,No one can prove that God does not exist."

It then boils down to a belief system or personal experience of some kind that leads one to believe in God.

This a fundamental question and the answer has shaped the lives of people throughtout history.

Is there a God? What is the evidence for belief in such a being? What is God like? Is God a figment of human inspiration? How do we know that such a being might not exist?

Without getting into a discussion about which books are from God,or the watchmaker,or deductive reasoning and without any proof at all that I can give I know that somehow and in someway life appeared,the fact that life is here tells me this.How it got here I don't know.I rather believe that a Creator started it all and that leaves me with the dilemma of "Where did the Creator come from?"On and on it goes.Many questions few answers.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit