Do you still believe in God?

by IT Support 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• IT Support
    IT Support

darkuncle29,

I do believe in A creator of the multiverse. I also believe that he/she/it IS the universe-multiverse.

May I ask what led you to this conclusion? Any references or links for further reading?

Thanks,

Ken

• Freddy Krueger
    Freddy Krueger

O.k sorry, I had to put my scene up. Perfect question for Freddy's famous quote.

Anyway, My thought is there is an energy force in this universe. And I do think it used an act of creation. Whether that act involved evolution, I am not sure. But I don't believe the bible account is factual. More mythilogical. Surrounding the truth or hiding it, who knows?

Now, not to steal your thunder "IT support", but God or no God, are we dead when we die or does our God belief change this also?

"This is God!"

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I do not believe in the existence of a "spirit world" populated with any kind of intelligent invisible creatures.

"Religion is a snare and a racket," as the man said.

God is the bait in the snare.

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain." - St. Lennon

• IT Support
    IT Support

Narkissos,

Realistically, I don't.
    I've a horrible feeling I may end up reaching the same conclusion, though I'd far prefer it would be otherwise...

My main basis is the very history of the concept of God, which had a beginning (say, in the 6th century BC with Deutero-Isaiah = Isaiah 40-55),

Are you suggesting there was no concept of God before the 6th century BC? Surely even the written record of the Bible is around a thousand years older, never mind the many 'pagan' concepts of God that went before those (and from which many of the characteristics of the Biblical God is allegedly drawn)?

and an end as far as mainstream Western culture is concerned (as finely expressed by Nietzsche).

I'm afraid my knowledge of Nietzsche is sadly lacking (my sole 'further education' was attending the Pioneer Service School!). What was his point?

I am sure the WT makes a sincere though shallow attempt at proving the existence of God, since it is an essential part of its power over people.

Yes, I understand what you mean.

However, to be honest to theism, I don't think it represents the best of philosophical arguments for the existence of God -- even though what I have seen elsewhere doesn't convince me either.

What are 'the best of philosophical arguments for the existence of God' and where can I find out more about them? Thanks, Ken

• heathen
    heathen

I absolutely believe in God . I also believe that all religions are cults . I just can't see all this suffering in the world not having a purpose and to say this miserable existence is all there is in the grand scheme of things is just too overwhelming for me . I feel for all the children that starve to death and live a life of despair , what crime did they commit that they deserve that kind of fate ? What hope can they place in this world ? I think it refreshing to look to the possibities of the future .

• IT Support
    IT Support

Sirona,

My faith in God (and Goddess) stemmed from a lot of delving into ALL religions and ideas, asking God to direct me to my path, then actually allowing that to open my eyes to many things.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not criticising you, but isn't that in itself rather circular, asking God to direct your path, if you're not convinced he/she/it even exists...?

Take a look at all the good people out there, then look at the beauty of the world itself... Don't let everyday life stop you from noticing the things that really matter. Learn by yourself, you don't need anyone else to tell you who God is.

I agree that, at this stage of my exploration, this seems to be one of the strongest arguments for a 'divine being.' The problem is, I'm not sure if, in trying to reach beyond that, you don't hit a dead-end without introducing other sources, such as the Bible, etc.

That said, some days I think I've got it figured out and something happens which shows that I know next to nothing about it all. There are no 100% infallible answers.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head: my problem is I'm too accustomed to WT's '100% infallible answers.'

Gonna hafta kick that habit...

Thanks,

Ken

• IT Support
    IT Support

stillajwexelder,

JUST ABOUT

WHY? Thanks, Ken

• IT Support
    IT Support

Kansas District Overbeer

I also believe that there are several higher powers that do exist though. Other gods and goddesses and the such.

Isn't that what the Mormons believe?

Reasons I dont believe in the biblical god though are pretty easy. First of, the biblical god is one of humility and love right? Well.... how humble can someone be when he orders people throughout time to write a book about how good he is and all the things he has done for mankind so we would worship him? God is the only (if he exists) person in history to commit genocide more than once... all because people wouldnt follow him. What a god of love. eh? I can keep going and going but I think you get the gist.

Isn't it funny that, for some people, the Bible confirms God's existence, while for others if proves he doesn't exist.

Of course, the alleged divine authorship of the Bible is another whole thread in itself (as if it probably hasn't already been flogged to death here!). I guess the central question, though, is whether the Bible is a record of God's Word to humans, or a record of human experiences of god...

Then again, if there is a Biblical God, and the Bible really is his Word, then you will believe what it says about a coming Day of Judgment, that would apparently make any previous genocides pale by comparison.

Regards,

Ken

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I do not believe in the existence of a "spirit world" populated with any kind of intelligent invisible creatures. "Religion is a snare and a racket," as the man said. God is the bait in the snare. God is a concept by which we measure our pain." - St. Lennon

Nathan, often times I agree with what you say, and I do here too, but only 100%. For a long time seeing the b.s. in religion and concepts of God discouraged any looking or searching for deeper meaning or significance (Truth)....of which there was a haunting hunger. Then, somewhere along the line it became obvious to forget all concepts, ideas and beliefs of a "spiritual" nature (the b.s.), and just delve deeper into the only truth I knew: this moment of conscious awareness. It's amazing what can be uncovered here. j

• IT Support
    IT Support

Sassy,

I just do not believe that the only path to worshiping him is with the WTS.

I think we'd all agree with you, there!

I think there are other paths to get there. Just maybe it isn't with any organized religions. It seems to me they are all hypocritical.

I suspect you may be right that all organised religions are hypocritical, though I've no personal experience. Are you commenting from your own experiences, or from what you've seen on TV, etc?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ken

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit